2012 Skate America Ice Dance FD | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ice Dance FD

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
skatingfan, they could still make the final. Realistically, there's two or three slots open (depending on how you view C/L).

Plus if they skate better than they did here they totally should win their next assignment. I have no doubt Pechalat & Bourzat are going back this year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, Zhulin totally reused a lift from Blues for Klook. And they need to figure out an entrance to that rotational lift that doesn't have her rearranging her hair before hand. Disturbing ending, but I liked it.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
skatingfan, they could still make the final. Realistically, there's two or three slots open (depending on how you view C/L).

Will a silver and bronze be enough, though? I believe that they are capable of beating Pechalat/Bourzat at their next event (in which case a gold and bronze probably would be more than enough), but if this is the type of response they're getting from the judges, I'm not particularly hopeful that they will. In the past, silver and bronze (24 points, I believe) hasn't been enough. I guess we'll see, though.

HR4

On the Ice
I am shocked by results, but counting the fact I thought that BS were underscored yesterday - the shock is kind of positive. Looking forward to see videos, anyone has a link?

elif

Medalist
i don't know ice dance very well :p and i have questions. why bobrova/soloviev's twizzle got level 4? they didn't hold their legs like other teams. and why davis s jumping so much? look at 1:13 and 1:26. i think she did five times, just in 10 seconds. (and a lot of more in the fd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOi7PE9Ds4A&feature=g-all-u

sorry for my english. :)

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Will a silver and bronze be enough, though? I believe that they are capable of beating Pechalat/Bourzat at their next event (in which case a gold and bronze probably would be more than enough), but if this is the type of response they're getting from the judges, I'm not particularly hopeful that they will. In the past, silver and bronze (24 points, I believe) hasn't been enough. I guess we'll see, though.

In 2010/2011, W/P made the final with 2nd and fourth.

Davis/White and V/M: Two golds
P/B: A gold and a silver or two golds
C/L: Two silvers

Now, it's between B/S, Shibs, W/P and I/K. If W/P get silver in China and B/S get bronze, it'll come down to program points (both will have 24 points). I/K and the Shibs are in the same boat. It'll likely be one but not both (competing at the same events, with gold likely going to V/M and D/W). The response from the judges is fine. They just didn't skate it that well here.

Macassar88

Medalist
My thoughts on Bobrova and Soloviev's FD

Some things that I want them to improve upon -
Their first lift has a slightly awkward set up, but the rest of it is beautiful. If they fix it (it seems like he takes two tries to lift her) I think they could get 2's and 3's in GOE.
They still need to work on the lift that gave them trouble in Finlandia - it was level 4 today, but could get higher GOE if they smooth it out a bit more
Last lift needs work on the entrance. They need to figure out a better way of getting him some support without her pulling her hair around.

Their twizzles looked a little close to getting a downgrade for turning a twizzle into a pirouette/three turn. I know that he only had an issue with one twizzle in the second set which is why they got level 4, but it's definitely something to work on.

I've noticed some issues of synchronicity in the footwork sequences that may be preventing them from getting higher GOE.

But still amazing job to them! They've improved so much in such a short time, and will hopefully improve even more as time goes on!
Also, here's a link to all the dances!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AOLManager/videos?view=0

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
i don't know ice dance very well :p and i have questions. why bobrova/soloviev's twizzle got level 4? they didn't hold their legs like other teams. and why davis s jumping so much? look at 1:13 and 1:26. i think she did five times, just in 10 seconds. (and a lot of more in the fd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOi7PE9Ds4A&feature=g-all-u

sorry for my english. :)

Bobrova and Soloviev's twizzles got level 4 because both sets are done on one leg, they do a dance jump into the twizzles and they hold an arm above their head during one set.

Art&Sport

Medalist
No matter how much B/S have improved, I don't particularly care for their FD, especially in comparision to W/P's FD, which I found more interesting and enjoyable to watch. B/S may have been technically better in judges' eyes, but I like W/P more -- their on-ice connection, their look on the ice together and their personalities, as well as their skating.

No accounting for politics, which are definitely a factor. I just hope W/P focus on themselves and what they can do better to show they have what it takes and that they deserve the marks.

elif

Medalist
Bobrova and Soloviev's twizzles got level 4 because both sets are done on one leg, they do a dance jump into the twizzles and they hold an arm above their head during one set.

thanks. i thought that was a requirement.

I have made a decision. If someone with magical powers said that I could look like any skater in the world, I'd choose Meryl Davis. It's not that she's the most beautiful...there are so many beautiful ice dancers that I could never rank them. She just looks like someone out of a story.

What does everyone think of their new program? There are some amazing lifts in there, aren't there?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
W/P's problem is that they face both Bobrova/Soloviev and Pechalat/Bourzat at Cup of China. If they finish 3rd again, bye bye GPF.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Oh , schmaltz ! ... sorry ... I could do without the "second ending" for D/W . I've always disliked the highly choreographed entrances some pair and dance teams indulge in ( see Denney and Coughlin here , e.g. ) and I didn't think Zueva would resort to such an obvious hard sell on the supposed "new connection" . I'm thoroughly disappointed with this aspect of D/W's program. I agree with the open mouth business ... just too much of it .

Dang it ! There was nothing wrong with the way M & C carried off an emotional or romantic program to begin with ( see S&D ) .. I really never felt they were not connected in their skating .. and let's be frank ,it's time to stop using "connection" as a euphemism for romantic involvement. It's so artificial, it makes me sad.

Overall , though there are some choreographic elements in this program that I like very much , it doesn't move me like S&D did or sweep me up like DF.

This has me more nervous about the prospects for V/M's Carmen than the fact that C/L are doing Carmen too.

slipslidin

On the Ice
For the past several years, with the exception of their tango program, I have loved Davis and White's programs, right off the hop. This year, neither of their programs have that wow factor for me. Their Gisele is a cute, cheerful program, and once they get the YP sorted, it'll be fine. People should lighten up about it. It is not ballet, but a short dance to ballet music, with a sly little wink regarding costumes. Their free dance just seems a bit stale, the drama doesn't grab me, and the much-touted 'connection' seems more of a publicity trick than a stylistic improvement. It is seen most when the couple are not dancing.

I am underwhelmed.

icebeauty

On the Ice
For the past several years, with the exception of their tango program, I have loved Davis and White's programs, right off the hop. This year, neither of their programs have that wow factor for me. Their Gisele is a cute, cheerful program, and once they get the YP sorted, it'll be fine. People should lighten up about it. It is not ballet, but a short dance to ballet music, with a sly little wink regarding costumes. Their free dance just seems a bit stale, the drama doesn't grab me, and the much-touted 'connection' seems more of a publicity trick than a stylistic improvement. It is seen most when the couple are not dancing.

I am underwhelmed.

i agree with what you've said about D/W. I think i FINALLY fell in love with their tango at 4CCs that year...but everything else has been instantaneous.
As for this season. I LOVE their SD. HUGE ballet fan here, and I think they capture Act I of Giselle PERFECTLY...everyone always thinks of Act II - the romantic ballet, but they always forget the cheery lightness of a a peasant village. those costumes are GORGEOUS...now for their FD this season, I dont' know what to think. I want to like it REALLY badly, but it's just not there. I'm not sure if it will come with time or not. Also, I think the music cut isn't the best for their style. I think the music is lovely, but it doesn't work for D/W. The lifts were definitely WOW, but the rest of the program needs to come up to that level. It will be interesting to see how much of a "work in progress" the program is

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
W/P's problem is that they face both Bobrova/Soloviev and Pechalat/Bourzat at Cup of China. If they finish 3rd again, bye bye GPF.

if they lose to a team of the caliber of B/S twice in a row they are obviously skating poorly and dont deserve to be in the Grand Prix final anyway. That is actually a great assignment, and definitely one they can aspire to win if they are skating well. Everyone would love an assignment with no V/M or D/W.

Macassar88

Medalist
if they lose to a team of the caliber of B/S twice in a row they are obviously skating poorly and dont deserve to be in the Grand Prix final anyway. That is actually a great assignment, and definitely one they can aspire to win if they are skating well. Everyone would love an assignment with no V/M or D/W.
If Bobrova and Soloviev keep improving at this rate, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see them and Weaver and Poje beat Pechalat and Bourzat who will be at their first GP of the season. Cup of China, IMO, is a toss up on who will win. Obviously Pechalat and Bourzat are amazing, but Bobrova and Soloviev always get great scores at CoC. And Weaver and Poje may bring it extra hard to show that SA was a fluke.