Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ladies LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Watching Christina Gao, I was having flashbacks of Lu Chen
    Exactly!

Are there vids available of the awards ceremonies?
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-21-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I don't get that so many are calling her "fierce" when she did not put a 3x3 in either program. And no 2A+3T. It's early in the season but this is an indication she can't do they bigger tricks reliably in practice.
    Only difference is, this year (without a 3-3) she scores 127. Last year she might have been short of 115 with the same performance. She's beginning to benefit from the "rep points" phenomenon that Czisny enjoyed last year as "the top American"...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Give Adelina a little time to gell...If she doesn't start hitting cleaner programs by the end of the season then we can talk...I think she's slowly starting to get it together.
    Despite dropping to 3rd, I was impressed seeing her do a 3Z-3T and a 3F. I still think she looks too hesitant going into the 3F but maybe she could take out the preceding steps to have better results with that jump. Gao was unbelievable today and Ashley is great so there is no reason to fret about losing to those skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Only difference is, this year she scores 127. Last year she might have been short of 115 with the same performance. She's beginning to benefit from the "rep points" phenomenon that Czisny enjoyed last year as "the top American"...
    No doubt about that - but Worlds is somewhat different than SA.

Speaking of fierce - if US Skating had left Flatt home and added Gold or Nagasu there could have been a sweep by the American Ladies.
    That might actually have created a bit of a stir and raised some interest......

Custom Title
    Only difference is, this year (without a 3-3) she scores 127. Last year she might have been short of 115 with the same performance. She's beginning to benefit from the "rep points" phenomenon that Czisny enjoyed last year as "the top American"...
    I think there was a bit of a home turf bump in those scores, but she didn't give away much on sloppy landings like she sometimes does.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Speaking of fierce - if US Skating had left Flatt home and added Gold or Nagasu there could have been a sweep by the American Ladies.
    That might actually have created a bit of a stir and raised some interest......
    I'd hate to say it but I don't think Mirai can (in current form) beat what Adelina put out there over the SP and LP.

Custom Title
    Aren't the judges international? What skin do they have in the game of giving Ashley extra points?

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I'd hate to say it but I don't think Mirai can (in current form) beat what Adelina put out there over the SP and LP.
    With the "homecooking" we see at the GP events I would take my chances on Mirai. But the point is that if I was trying to boost interest in skating in USA I would at least go for it.

168 is a score Mirai gets for an average skate. So if she skated well she beats Adelina's score. I forgot Agnes...she also could have been given SA.

The bigger mistake was not to feature Gracie at SA. Big mistake in my opinion.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-21-2012 at 08:09 PM.

can't wait to see what our folks in the arena come back and share!

My thoughts: Ashley was great. She's quickly becoming my favourite ladies skater, American or otherwise. The only others I saw on NBC were Sotnikova, Marchei, Gao, and Meite. They were all decent but none of them blew me away. Gao was better than usual but she has always bored me a bit. It's too bad about Rachael Flatt but I can't even be bothered to go watch the performance on youtube - what's the point if it's bad? The only other one I might want to see is Viktoria Helgesson's but it'll break my heart if it's a really bad performance from her (which I'm suspecting it was, from her low placement).

Custom Title
    Ashley may incorporate the 3/3 (or 2ax 3t) later. Rep points, yes, IN should do an article about the "reputation" factor in fs judging.

Those who questioned the "fierce" description. Yes, Ashley Wagner is fierce in her intensity, her desire, her determination, her attack, her confidence, and her hard work. If anyone deserves "rep" points, Ashley certainly does. She skated with so much more maturity and cohesiveness than Sotnikova. Who cares 3/3 completed if you falter with other elements, and don't have a cohesive program or music that really works that well for you? Sotnikova already gets rep points and she's only 17. She's talented too, and with a strong Russian federation behind her, Sotnikova just needs to continue working on her weaknesses. She didn't do badly here.

Ashley deserved her win. I agree re Sandra mentioning on NBC broadcast that Ashley was patient throughout her program, taking her time and interpreting the music without rushing, whereas Sotnikova started out well and then lost her focus in the middle of her program.

Alena looked like a lost deer wandering aimlessly in the wilderness. Imai and Marchesi and Meite were wonderful. Christina Gao was out of this world. Speaking of "rep," if Gao had any, she would have taken first place in the sp or at least have scored much higher than she did -- she completed a gorgeous 3/3 in the sp. Gao was clean and beautiful in both sp and fp, and its wonderful to see. Peter J and Mark M are very good coaches.

Banned
    Ashley scored 1 point less than Four Continents last year and her performance was just a good. Christina didnt even beat Sotnikova who she clearly deserved to beat by much. They were not overscored.

Quote Originally Posted by JPierce View Post
    Also convince me why Christina Gao's skate wasn't just a bunch of jumps strung together in a chronological sequence, because that's mostly what I saw out there.
    I don't think I can convince you, but Christina convinced me. Her performance was a delight.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't think I can convince you, but Christina convinced me. Her performance was a delight.
    I just want to repeat this. I have a critique of Christina....but it is really the stuff o nit-picking someone who otherwise had two amazing skates. So, I too was quite delighted and I will add surprised by Gao's SP and LP. kudos! and thank you!

Ashley rocked it for me as well, can't wait to hear what people in the stadium also thought.

If Ashley continues to build from this, she is going to be like the "IT" girl for worlds. I do agree that she needs to up the technical ante in terms of doing a triple-triple and the double axel-triple toe.

I think she should do the triple-triple. But if it ain't broke and you are getting huge scores- try to make it better and better!

I love Christina- she was boring in the past, but there is a fire and passion I didn't see before. She is just gorgeous. Reminiscent of Yu-Na in some aspects- but she is her own star.

I see Ashley breaking 200 + by GPF, 4CC and WC!

She is surely getting the reputation!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast