Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ladies LP

Custom Title
    I think Ashley suffers from major toe axel upon landing the first half of her big combo. She has great speed, but her picking foot always seems to swing out too wide.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Then why didn't she try a real thing: a combo 3L-3T/3F-3T or at least 3T-3T? It's lke a man skating without a quad. Do you seriously believe that someone with a junior set of elements can win in Sochi?
    Junior set of elements is now more complicated than Senior (at international competitions).
    Winners of Events (not Final, only Events) of JGP this season have 3Lz+3T (Radionova, Miyahara, Keiser, Wang), or 3T+3T (Hae Jin Kim, she won with lowest score of winners of JGP Events, her advantage is only 0.11 to 2nd place, she won only because Barbie Long, who has 3Lz+3T, skated not so good), or 3T+3T plus 7 landed triples and two 2A in FS (Pogorilaya, past season the same had Lipnitskaia).

Who can win Worlds - at WC-2011 Miki Ando won without 3+3 combo because her competitors (at first Yuna Kim with 3Lz+3T) made mistakes.
    At WC-2012 Ladies, who took 1-3 and 5-7 places in SP, had 3+3. All three Ladies who earned the podium, had 3+3.
    Last edited by AlexRus; 10-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Custom Title
    Ashley will be doing the 3/3 soon. It's early in the season and the important thing is to get confidence with your program by skating it clean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Ashley will be doing the 3/3 soon. It's early in the season and the important thing is to get confidence with your program by skating it clean.
    At Nationals Jan 2011 (she was about 19.5 years old) Ashley planned 3F+3T in SP and FS, performed 3+2 in SP, 2A+3T< in FS.
    At Nationals Jan 2012 Ashley planned and performed 2A+3T in FS, no 3+3 in SP.
    At Four Continents 2012 she landed 3F+3T in SP only.
    At Worlds 2012 she in SP planned (probably) 3F+3T, really were 3F(bad landing) and 3Lz+2T. In FS she did not plan or perform 3+3.
    At WTT-2012 3F+3T in SP, no 3+3 in FS.

It is difficult to complicate jump content after 20. At most it simplicates.
    So we will see will this complication be real.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Did anyone else notice in the NBC broadcast that Scott Hamilton's "gushing" of Ashley Wagner's first few jumping passes did NOT jinx her for the rest of the skate?! How did that happen?!
    They do it every time! Sandra gushed about Meite's powerful and high triple lutz, and then Meite fell on it, on cue.

ETA:
    Ashley's Mr. Nicks has her prepared and ready to perform; now Ashley fights for all her jumps.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-22-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Custom Title
    Go Christina and Ashley!! For once, a great showing by the American ladies. I'm so happy for them.

Ashley skated great and deserved the win. Yes, she still needs to add a triple/triple, and should do it in the next GP, but what a start to her season. I was really impressed by the choreographic detail in the program and how well she presented it. Yes, she's getting some "rep" points in PCS, but she's also genuinely improved in this area. In years past, her programs were always so girlish and run-of-the-mill. Now it's totally different. Everything is carefully thought out, from music choice to costume design to conception of the program, and it really shows. I'm just so impressed with her whole approach to this season. There's a real professionalism and maturity to Ashley's skating now. I just hope she can keep it going for the whole season. Anything is possible if she does. (And, just a side note, but I think her LP costume is terrific. It's eye-catching, memorable, and totally fits the character she's portraying.)

Christina was terrific! Definitely the best I've ever seen her skate. I'm thrilled for her. And, as with Ashley, I see a lot of artistic growth. In this performance, she really hit the musical accents very nicely and made much better eye contact with the audience and judges than I've seen in the past. I loved that she was able to hit not one but two strong programs in this event--that's been rare for American ladies in recent years--even if one program is good, usually the other one is not. Seems like the move to Boston is working out very well for her.

As to Adelina Sotnikova, I thought she was overscored. I did not agree at all with her 3-point PCS lead over Christina in the long. I can see the argument that Adelina's basic skating skills are better than Christina's. However, Christina had an elegance and attention to detail totally lacking with Adelina. I do not like Adelina's LP at all. The music is loud and OTT, plus there are too many separate cuts within it. The choreography does fit the music, but it feels like a show number, not a competitive program. There is something a bit tawdry and inappropriate about the whole thing. The costume doesn't help matters. It's too sheer on top, and the feather skirt is a bit trashy. It has the effect of making Adelina look older than she is--but not in a good way. Nonetheless, for those posters ready to give up on Adelina, it's way too soon for that. Remember how young she is. She has many years yet to improve and find consistency and a style that works for her. Just look at Ashley and how long it's taken her to reach her present level.

I also wouldn't write Leonova off just yet. She seems to be a late-season skater who peaks for Worlds. (Although she'll have to peak earlier this year just to make the Russian world team.)

As to Flatt, apparently she once again decided to compete despite injury. Once again, a competitive spot that Mirai Nagasu or someone else could have competently filled is held onto instead by Rachael, for yet another disastrous result. Does she really think she did herself or anyone any favors by competing and placing 9th out of 10??

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    As to Flatt, apparently she once again decided to compete despite injury. Once again, a competitive spot that Mirai Nagasu or someone else could have competently filled is held onto instead by Rachael, for yet another disastrous result. Does she really think she did herself or anyone any favors by competing and placing 9th out of 10??
    I agree with most of your comments,, but Flatt's assignment to SA seems to me to have been strategic, and her weak showing was likely not an issue for the USFSA. I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I see others have suggested the same thing elsewhere: Rachael was probably at SA to ensure that Ashley Wagner would have a better chance of winning. I know many have speculated that the FFSG does not want certain skaters at TEB so that they can improve the chances of their own ladies - is it any wonder that the USFSA is playing a similar game? Mirai has shown that she is not consistent enough to contend, while Ashley Wagner has shown that she can deliver strong performances on a fairly consistent basis. Clearly she has her federation's support as she works toward the Olympics. Note that they did the same thing when Evan Lysacek was being set up for the Olympics in 2009-10, putting together about the weakest field possible for Skate America so that he could win easily - Jeremy Abbott, the US National Champion at the time, was sent elsewhere, as was Johnny Weir; all the top Japanese guys were carefully avoided.

All that said, I hope Rachael and her team can figure out what is wrong with her ankle so that she can get the treatment she needs.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Sigh ... I've only had a chance to watch Rachael and Christina's SP. Cannot wait to find time to watch Ashley and Christina. It's so nice to see American ladies go 1-2 in a competition again, although I was hoping for a great performance from Adelina.

Custom Title
    Yeah but they could have at least sent someone who would have at least looked like she belonged out there on the ice. If Ashley is so good she should be able to beat the more middle of the road US Ladies who at least are capable of decent performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yeah but they could have at least sent someone who would have at least looked like she belonged out there on the ice. If Ashley is so good she should be able to beat the more middle of the road US Ladies who at least are capable of decent performances.
    I agree that Wagner is good enough to succeed without this kind of help. My point is that it looked like the USFSA elected not to take that risk.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Orser doesn't coach Gao, Peter Johansson and Mark Mitchell does.
    Yes, but my guess is that all the work she did with Orser are also helping her. WOW, Wagner, Gao and Imai all had such beautiful programmes with great choreography.

On the Ice
    Let's talk, you never know. Evan won without a quad!

She worked with Orser for quite a while without this kind of lovely skate. I wonder if the new training environment/style of training has changed her preparation and regimen?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    She worked with Orser for quite a while without this kind of lovely skate. I wonder if the new training environment/style of training has changed her preparation and regimen?
    If I am correct, Christina was training almost full time in past three years in Toronto. I think she did online school? But besides that, it was full on training because she thought she had a chance of being one of the top American ladies. I guess after being accepted into Harvard, priorities change and she's less focused on her status in competitive skating, and more on enjoying the opportunities to compete. My two cents. I think it's just a shift in mind set.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I agree with most of your comments,, but Flatt's assignment to SA seems to me to have been strategic, and her weak showing was likely not an issue for the USFSA. I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I see others have suggested the same thing elsewhere: Rachael was probably at SA to ensure that Ashley Wagner would have a better chance of winning. I know many have speculated that the FFSG does not want certain skaters at TEB so that they can improve the chances of their own ladies - is it any wonder that the USFSA is playing a similar game? Mirai has shown that she is not consistent enough to contend, while Ashley Wagner has shown that she can deliver strong performances on a fairly consistent basis. Clearly she has her federation's support as she works toward the Olympics. Note that they did the same thing when Evan Lysacek was being set up for the Olympics in 2009-10, putting together about the weakest field possible for Skate America so that he could win easily - Jeremy Abbott, the US National Champion at the time, was sent elsewhere, as was Johnny Weir; all the top Japanese guys were carefully avoided.

All that said, I hope Rachael and her team can figure out what is wrong with her ankle so that she can get the treatment she needs.

I think that is true. I also think they sent Rachael here since they figured she would fare poorly and it will be even easier to dump her out of the top 10 at Nationals and hopefully send her into retirement even if she skates well there. They did not want an occasionaly brilliant skater like Zawadzki, Czisny or Nagasu being here and happening to have one of their rare great competitions, at the same time perhaps Wagner had a rare (for her these days) off competition, and having their new #1 who they are clearly behind now lose the highest prominent U.S event prior to Nationals to another American, so they made sure to assign U.S ladies who even a faulty Wagner vs these skaters best was certain to be scored ahead of by international judges. Also the international field was sure to be picked as weak of one as possible, a slumping Sotnikova, the likely fluke World silver medalist Leonova who is probably going way backwards this season, and so on. As it was Wagner skating this way wouldnt need the help, but they made sure to have her protected just in case she did.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast