Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ladies LP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by loveskating View Post
    Let's talk, you never know. Evan won without a quad!
    oh please...

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Flatt's score at the 2010/2011 GPF: 127.57
    Flatt's score at Skate America, 2012: 136.09

It's more than one bad year, imo.

Host picks are selected first and there were no TBAs, so when Flatt was chosen, even Ashley didn't have two spots yet.
    I mean, perhaps a bad year and a half, but she MADE the grand prix final that year. I know she had weak assignments but it's hard to call that a failure.

I didn't know host picks go first but that doesn't change the heart of my point- USFSA knew/strongly suspected Rachael would not get an assignment. They therefore gave her one.

Ashley was also GUARANTEED two spots to begin with from finishing 4th at Worlds as she is now seeded, so they knew for sure Wagner was getting 2.

Host picks are selected first and there were no TBAs, so when Flatt was chosen, even Ashley didn't have two spots yet.
    There may, however, be deals that are worked out before the formal draw.

Custom Title
    Of course, Mathman and mskater93 are absolutely correct. I sorta lost what we were arguing about (again).

Custom Title
    Wagner and Gao were great! Even though Ashley is not my favorite skater, I was actually holding my breath for her during her skating, and I was very happy for her when she finished her last jump. She beared well for this huge pressure from her country and fans' expectation. And she answered by giving a clean, beautiful performance if it was not very fast. Good for Ashley! Well done! I don't really like her music selection combine with this choreography. It seemed that the music was too fast to skate for her.

Banned
    Flatt's score at the 2010/2011 GPF: 127.57
    Flatt's score at Skate America, 2012: 136.09
    What is most telling about those scores is she had the worst meltdown of her career at the 2010/11 GPF and she skated fairly well at this Skate America. So she has fallen downwards so far in the judges eyes she a good competition by her today scores less than 10 points higher than her worst competition ever 2 years ago. Pretty much says it all to what her future prospects in the amateur side of the sport are.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    What is most telling about those scores is she had the worst meltdown of her career at the 2010/11 GPF and she skated fairly well at this Skate America. So she has fallen downwards so far in the judges eyes she a good competition by her today scores less than 10 points higher than her worst competition ever 2 years ago. Pretty much says it all to what her future prospects in the amateur side of the sport are.
    I finally watched Rachael's LP at Skate America. She skated pretty well. I don't really understand her low score. I haven't looked at the protocols but she skated relatively clean, unlike most skaters these days. The fact that she is being held down, apparently, by low PCS shows that skating hasn't really changed. It's still a sport where looks and body type matter.

Flatt looked REALLY slow and people who were in the arena and reported live verified that she was noticeably slower than the other skaters. This affects SS and the rest of her PCS will fall in line with that (even if that isn't right, that IS what happens - SS is the starting corridor for a skater's score). It looked like she just really couldn't generate any power from the ankle suffering from tendonitis.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Flatt looked REALLY slow and people who were in the arena and reported live verified that she was noticeably slower than the other skaters. This affects SS and the rest of her PCS will fall in line with that (even if that isn't right, that IS what happens - SS is the starting corridor for a skater's score). It looked like she just really couldn't generate any power from the ankle suffering from tendonitis.
    That is a pretty accurate statement -- she was quite slow and lacked the power she usually gets on her programs, so yeah that reflects on PCS. That said, as many have said, her programs are quite pleasant to watch and could be really great programs if she can get past her injury issues.

Rachael does seem to overachieve relative to her current physical ability. Five triples is pretty good all things considered. But one could argue that is perhaps why the injuries won't let up.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Gosh, I was pretty impressed with Ashley. I only just now got to watch her freeskate .... having trouble finding time to keep up with skating this year. Her upperbody carriage has always been fairly good but seems to have improved (thank you Mr. Nicks) and I did like this choreo for her. I liked that her spin combo at the halfway mark timed the position changes with the music (her last combo spin though ...hmm, no so much). I also liked a lot of the entries into her jumps and thought she looked a bit less like she was muscling into them as ... or am I just imagining things? I dunno, her shoulders looked squarer or something on some of the jumps. Overall she still the same Ashley with her same strengths and weaknesses (she definitely seemed to slow toward the end but hopefully she will gain stamina and sharpness as the season progresses, not lose it) ... but this choreo did a good job overall of showing her off. I'm in the minority on this but I did NOT like Swan Lake for her. I don't know if she will try the harder jumb combos that people are talking about but I say good for her for staying in such great shape and maintaining her skill level at least. And certainly wish her good luck on the harder combos - that would be the bomb.

Oh, and also loved seeing the Charlotte spiral even if she did hold it only briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Gosh, I was pretty impressed with Ashley. I only just now got to watch her freeskate .... having trouble finding time to keep up with skating this year. Her upperbody carriage has always been fairly good but seems to have improved (thank you Mr. Nicks) and I did like this choreo for her. I liked that her spin combo at the halfway mark timed the position changes with the music (her last combo spin though ...hmm, no so much). I also liked a lot of the entries into her jumps and thought she looked a bit less like she was muscling into them as ... or am I just imagining things? I dunno, her shoulders looked squarer or something on some of the jumps. Overall she still the same Ashley with her same strengths and weaknesses (she definitely seemed to slow toward the end but hopefully she will gain stamina and sharpness as the season progresses, not lose it) ... but this choreo did a good job overall of showing her off. I'm in the minority on this but I did NOT like Swan Lake for her. I don't know if she will try the harder jumb combos that people are talking about but I say good for her for staying in such great shape and maintaining her skill level at least. And certainly wish her good luck on the harder combos - that would be the bomb.

Oh, and also loved seeing the Charlotte spiral even if she did hold it only briefly.
    Hi Layfan! Glad to see you posting here again! She looked amazing out there (was lucky to see it in person). I think this will be a very good program for her. According to one of our fellow GS posters, she was very consistent with the 2A-3T + 3F-3T in practice, so we will probably see it soon!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16