2012 Skate America Ladies LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ladies LP

Art&Sport

Medalist
Only difference is, this year (without a 3-3) she scores 127. Last year she might have been short of 115 with the same performance. :think: She's beginning to benefit from the "rep points" phenomenon that Czisny enjoyed last year as "the top American"...

Ashley may incorporate the 3/3 (or 2ax 3t) later. Rep points, yes, IN should do an article about the "reputation" factor in fs judging. :laugh:

Those who questioned the "fierce" description. Yes, Ashley Wagner is fierce in her intensity, her desire, her determination, her attack, her confidence, and her hard work. If anyone deserves "rep" points, Ashley certainly does. She skated with so much more maturity and cohesiveness than Sotnikova. Who cares 3/3 completed if you falter with other elements, and don't have a cohesive program or music that really works that well for you? Sotnikova already gets rep points and she's only 17. She's talented too, and with a strong Russian federation behind her, Sotnikova just needs to continue working on her weaknesses. She didn't do badly here.

Ashley deserved her win. I agree re Sandra mentioning on NBC broadcast that Ashley was patient throughout her program, taking her time and interpreting the music without rushing, whereas Sotnikova started out well and then lost her focus in the middle of her program.

Alena looked like a lost deer wandering aimlessly in the wilderness. Imai and Marchesi and Meite were wonderful. Christina Gao was out of this world. Speaking of "rep," if Gao had any, she would have taken first place in the sp or at least have scored much higher than she did -- she completed a gorgeous 3/3 in the sp. Gao was clean and beautiful in both sp and fp, and its wonderful to see. Peter J and Mark M are very good coaches.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ashley scored 1 point less than Four Continents last year and her performance was just a good. Christina didnt even beat Sotnikova who she clearly deserved to beat by much. They were not overscored.

Also convince me why Christina Gao's skate wasn't just a bunch of jumps strung together in a chronological sequence, because that's mostly what I saw out there.

I don't think I can convince you, but Christina convinced me. ;) Her performance was a delight. :yes:

emma

Record Breaker
I don't think I can convince you, but Christina convinced me. ;) Her performance was a delight. :yes:

I just want to repeat this. I have a critique of Christina....but it is really the stuff o nit-picking someone who otherwise had two amazing skates. So, I too was quite delighted and I will add surprised by Gao's SP and LP. kudos! and thank you!

Ashley rocked it for me as well, can't wait to hear what people in the stadium also thought.

christinaskater

Medalist
If Ashley continues to build from this, she is going to be like the "IT" girl for worlds. I do agree that she needs to up the technical ante in terms of doing a triple-triple and the double axel-triple toe.

I think she should do the triple-triple. But if it ain't broke and you are getting huge scores- try to make it better and better!

I love Christina- she was boring in the past, but there is a fire and passion I didn't see before. She is just gorgeous. Reminiscent of Yu-Na in some aspects- but she is her own star.

I see Ashley breaking 200 + by GPF, 4CC and WC!

She is surely getting the reputation!

christinaskater

Medalist
I really love "Samson and Delilah" for Ashley! The music is so dramatic and is perfect for her. She sells the program like no other!

I like the costume but I'm not exactly loving it. I see a costume change late in the season.

I am just interested with Worlds!

Ashley-Akiko-Sotnikova-Ando-Kim-Asada-Murakami-Kostner-Tuktamysheva are all in the mix! Pretty exciting!

Slowdive

On the Ice
Dead Can Dance music for Meite. Good choice!
But I hate hate hate Marchei's dress.
When she leans forward it looks like she has super-pointy breasts. :disapp:

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Re Ashley's costume, at first I didn't like the color. I thought it was too bright when I saw a picture online, but when I saw it later during her performance it didn't look so bright yellow. It is more of a deep yellow with orange highlights. And, I love the embroidery and the cut of it now too. I think it actually suits the Samson and Delilah theme, and Ashley looks sexy in it. I'm not so sure she's going to make a costume change later in the season. It must be expensive to get these costumes designed and made. Does Philip Mills help in designing her costumes? I know he does her choreography.

I'm so impressed that even though Ashley was nervous, she overcame it when the music started. Also, what Nicks said to her to steady her nerves helped her too. She's a great pupil and he's a great coach. :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
They're showing SKATING on TV? And I only missed half an hour?

I just missed Jeremy Abbott. They're in the Kiss and Cry. Here comes Kozuka.

what? nbc covered skate America? Someone please put a link to GP TV coverage if they have one TKS. I goota join IN but life gets in the way...Thank God for youtube...

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 188.37 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Christina GAO (USA) - 174.25 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 168.96 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 158.79 Free Skate
5. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 157.72 Free Skate
6. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 155.95 Free Skate
7. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 153.49 Free Skate
8. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 144.85 Free Skate
9. Rachael FLATT (USA) - 136.09 Free Skate
10. Sarah HECKEN (GER) - 134.09 Free Skate

Added the video for Rachael Flatt's free program.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...I forgot Agnes...she also could have been given SA.

The bigger mistake was not to feature Gracie at SA. Big mistake in my opinion.

Both Gold and Zawadzki already have two OTHER events, so they couldn't have gotten SA.

So with Gao already being chosen, it was down to Flatt & Nagasu, they went with the former.

If Nagasu is motivated enough, she'll show through a strong result at COC that she deserved two events. Otherwise...*shrug*

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I fell asleep, but here is my take

looks like Ashley will be the one to be beat this season not Mao
I never thought Gao would be more of a factor than Agnes or Gracie,lol but looks like training with Hanyu and Fernandez gave her a lot of confidence
Adelina has improved, I'm beginning to love her FS , too bad about the invalid combos,

guanchi

On the Ice
Thanks Mao88!
Just saw Adelina- technically, she really did 3 triple flips (the judges were lenient), so her edge on the lutz still has issues, so lucky there. But she is such a fantastic talent (and a quite beautiful young woman) with such speed and scale on her jumps that it's a shame she made those mistakes. I'm guessing, an early season competition, with concentration and stamina issues. She will sort it out, no question.
Go Adelina!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what? nbc covered skate America? Someone please put a link to GP TV coverage if they have one TKS. I goota join IN but life gets in the way...Thank God for youtube...

there wasn't much... but the ladies were live... teh last few anyway.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Yes, NBC will have a 2 hour show for each Grand Prix except Cup of China (for some reason). Mike Emrick (usually does hockey) is the announcer this year. I liked him. He didn't talk too much, was crisp in his delivery, and didn't ask stupid or condescending questions.

Check your listings.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I fell asleep, but here is my take

looks like Ashley will be the one to be beat this season not Mao
I never thought Gao would be more of a factor than Agnes or Gracie,lol but looks like training with Hanyu and Fernandez gave her a lot of confidence
Adelina has improved, I'm beginning to love her FS , too bad about the invalid combos,

Christina Gao's coach isn't Brian Orser anymore. She goes to Harvard now, so she trains in Boston (with Ross Miner and Harrison Choate).

gioccia

On the Ice
Adelina is a dissapointment. What's with the music choice? I don't think she'll grow into a champion...She's going to lose more and more PCS for her inconsistency...she reminds me of Kostner who is struggling all the time, that's why I don't like her...all those falls every now and then. Happy for Gao and Wagner! That's how you do it! like Liza last year. What's for Leonova - awful costumes, awful programs.

Trewyn

Medalist
Incredible! After so many years of being a hopeful fan, it's AMAZING to watch her win! It's funny how she's now the center of discussions about overscoring. She was usually the victim of somebody else being overscored, now it's the other way around. But that's figure skating. And it's great that she gets boosted while not failing to deliver. 4th win in 2012! (Nats, 4CC, JO and SKAM) GO ASHLEY!