Thread: How many skaters have legitimate chances at 2014 Olympic Gold as it looks now.

Hybrid View

Banned

How many skaters have legitimate chances at 2014 Olympic Gold as it looks now.

I was just thinking that right now it is looking like more skaters than any other Olympics in history will have a legitimate chance of the gold medal. Right now I would Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Adelina Sotnikova, Yu Na Kim, Julia Lipnitskaia, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Mao Asada, Caroline Kostner, all have a chance at the gold at next years Olympics. Then I would say additional skaters who have no chance at the gold but a chance at a medal would be Akiko Suzuki, whoever the #3 Japanese is (Murakami, Imai, maybe in an unlikely event Ando), possibly even the #3 American, Korpi, Kexin, if she makes the Russian team Leonova, but that would drop the # of gold contenders to only 7 as she will bump off one of them. So basically as many as 8 gold contenders, and as many as 13 medal contenders. It is an interesting contrast to past Olympics:

1980:

Gold contenders- Poetzsch, Fratianne, Lurz. (3)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Watanabe, Marie Allen, Biellmann. (6)

1984:

Gold contenders- Sumners, Witt. (2)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Zayak, Chin, Kondrashova, Ivanova, Voderezova, Leistner, Rueben. (9)

1988:

Gold contenders- Thomas, Witt, Manley. (3)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Ivanova, Trenary, Kadavy. (6)

1992:

Gold contenders- Yamaguchi, Ito, Harding. (3)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Bonaly, Kerrigan. (5)

1994:

Gold contenders- Kerrigan, Bauil, Bonaly. (3)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Sato, Chen, Chouinard. (6)

1998:

Gold contenders- Kwan, Lipinski. (2)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Butyrskaya, Chen, Slutskaya, Bobek, Hubert, Gusmeroli, Szewcenko. (9, really 8 since Tanja withdrew)

2002:

Gold contenders- Kwan, Slutskaya, Hughes. (3)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Cohen, Butyrskaya. (5)

2006:

Gold contenders- Slutskaya, Arakawa, Cohen. (3)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Suguri, Kwan, Kostner, Meissner. (7, really 6 since Kwan withdrew)

2010:

Gold contenders- Kim. (1)
    Medal/non gold contenders- Rochette, Asada, Ando. (4)
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 10-22-2012 at 12:42 AM.

2013:

It could go to either Wagner-Lipnitskaia-Kim-Ando-Kostner-Asada or Suzuki.

Custom Title
    Asada may not have been on Yuna's level but she was certainly on a higher level than ando or rochette! I think she was on the gold level.

All other years seem more right.

2012 sotnikova can't beat Osmond and Gao! You think that is like Mao being a non medalist at 2009 worlds or not medaling at 2009 cup of Russia??

There does seem to be a lot if good contenders but some have to show a senior win ability and lipnitskaia won over korpi but needs more like a gp as well as gold and this season too. I doubt 2014 gold medalist won't win anything until the 2013-2014 season!!

Banned
    Kim Yuna
    Julia, Ashley, Mao, Liza, Gracie and maybe Carolina
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 10-22-2012 at 04:02 AM.

So many, which is to tell we have incredibly deep field ib both singles disciplines. It's really amazing.

The Ladies field will be SO exciting in Sochi!
    But I think that, in 2010, Japanese fans still considered the Olympic gold a Mao vs Yu-Na battle, even if we knew that Yu-Na was far better than Mao, especially considering the 2009-2010 results before Olys...

Custom Title
    Japanese fans weren't the only ones. I thought so, too, and I'm assuming a lot of other people did as well. I remember seeing a poster here say that YuNa and Mao were an entire different level of skater from everyone else, and I remember agreeing. Both were light-years ahead of the rest of the world in terms of quality. Add to that the slipperiness of ice and the uncertainty of life, and either of these stellar ladies could have won if certain conditions had been different. As it was, YuNa unquestionably dominated in Vancouver, and no one else has caught up to her in the intervening years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    The Ladies field will be SO exciting in Sochi!
    But I think that, in 2010, Japanese fans still considered the Olympic gold a Mao vs Yu-Na battle, even if we knew that Yu-Na was far better than Mao, especially considering the 2009-2010 results before Olys...
    Yuna was far better but I think it's fair to say Mao was a legitimate contender for gold. It's not common for someone to skate the two best programs of their career at the Olympics, which is what Yuna accomplished.