Rachel Flatt Competes Injured Again | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachel Flatt Competes Injured Again

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think her argument is that Mirai Nagasu should have won, despite the fact that she was not there, because the USFSA should have invited her.

LOL Mirai Nagasu would have never won Skate America this year so her being there or not is irrelevant to the Skate America winner. Mirai has btw never won a grand prix event, never won a Senior international event, and never scored as high as Wagner did at last years 4CC or this years Skate America in an international LP, not even her "skate of a life" at the Olympics where the judges were throwing scores like candy as Yu Na's 150 shows.

Even though Nagasu hasn't scored anywhere near 120 in a long time?

Very true, it seems there is a delusional and pressed fan in this thread (I am not referring to tulosai). Also on what planet was Nagasu herself ever a big public star in the U.S. The U.S hasnt had one since Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan, and wont have one until someone breaks through and medals, more likely wins, at a major event.

janetfan

Match Penalty
LOL Mirai Nagasu would have never won Skate America this year so her being there or not is irrelevant to the Skate America winner. Mirai has btw never won a grand prix event, never won a Senior international event, and never scored as high as Wagner did at last years 4CC or this years Skate America in an international LP, not even her "skate of a life" at the Olympics where the judges were throwing scores like candy as Yu Na's 150 shows.

For what it's worth, Mirai did win Nebelhorn Trophy last season.

Lats time I checked that is a senior ISU Intl event .
Get your facts straight for a change......and quit trying to pass of your bizarre OPINIONS as facts.

Thankyou

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For what it's worth, Mirai did win Nebelhorn Trophy last season.

Lats time I checked that is a senior ISU Intl event .
Get your facts straight for a change......and quit trying to pass of your bizarre OPINIONS as facts.

Thankyou

What I think people mean to say is that Mirai has never won a senior ISU Championship event (Euros, 4CC, Worlds).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Didn't Gold have two OTHER events - and THAT's why she wasn't at SA?

I felt it a bit suspect of USFS to give Gao the SA slot, but in retrospect she showed that she fully deserved it. You never know, really.

Perhaps it's worth it to wonder why Flatt didn't WD after her injury, but we all know she will fight through whatever even if she can barely manage being on the ice...this behavior isn't unique to Flatt though, so the intent is not to single her out. (i.e. we remember other(s) doing this last season)

Again, to play DA with all this Gold stuff...again, there is no need to push her. Yes, I understand the desperate need for a star, but that is NOT how you go about doing it. Why push gold when you have other skater(s) actually producing RESULTS and gaining international REPUTATION which will hopefully lead to world medals again? Sorry but I just don't see the need to rush yet ANOTHER young phenom to the spotlight and watch her crash and burn under all the pressure like a broken record, etc.

Soon, Wagner is going to be feeling the pressure of being the top American. Someone else needs to step up and join her.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It could be good that Ashley is doing well right now and is a solid number 1 in the US. Gracie might not feel now like she has to be the savior of the US women and can just go out and skate and get better. But i'm sure she will still feel the pressure.

That's an interesting point. It may be USFS practice to shop their skaters around and see how many they can place at other events before making a decision on the second and third Skate America entrants.

This doesn't explain why they couldn't work something out for Mirai, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think we will be seeing more & more of skaters skating injured. Here's why:

The new minimum TES rules for 4CC's, Worlds & Europeans pretty much assure that all skaters who have a single assignment from their Fed, whether to a Senior B or a GP, pretty much have to skate regardless of their physical condition. They have to take advantage of that one assignment to try to make their qualificaiton.

For example, Pang & Tong were skating injured at Skate America (Tong has knee problems), as was Jeremy Abbott (who is having a serious back problem). P&T were absolutely lovely, particularly in their exhibition program. Jeremy was not particularly lovely, and someone else could have used the spot...however, Jeremy needed it himself to get the qualifying TES for Worlds and 4CC's. He got the SP score for both Worlds & 4CC's, but not the LP TES for Worlds.

Douglas Razzano got the LP score, but not the SP score for Worlds. His SP did not qualify for either event. I have no idea whether he was injured, but he skated a dreadful SP.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
What I think people mean to say is that Mirai has never won a senior ISU Championship event (Euros, 4CC, Worlds).

Well then people should say what they mean.

Last time I checked senior B's are considered senior Inlt ISU events.
No need to twist or ignore facts ......

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

The new minimum TES rules for 4CC's, Worlds & Europeans pretty much assure that all skaters who have a single assignment from their Fed, whether to a Senior B or a GP, pretty much have to skate regardless of their physical condition. They have to take advantage of that one assignment to try to make their qualificaiton.

For example, Pang & Tong were skating injured at Skate America (Tong has knee problems), as was Jeremy Abbott (who is having a serious back problem). P&T were absolutely lovely, particularly in their exhibition program. Jeremy was not particularly lovely, and someone else could have used the spot...however, Jeremy needed it himself to get the qualifying TES for Worlds and 4CC's. He got the SP score for both Worlds & 4CC's, but not the LP TES for Worlds.

Douglas Razzano got the LP score, but not the SP score for Worlds. His SP did not qualify for either event. I have no idea whether he was injured, but he skated a dreadful SP.

Jeremy and P/T are fine because of their scores from last season. Rachael has it for the SP from Skate Canada. She only missed it in the FS by .56 of a point at SA. I hope she can get it at her senior B.

You're probably right, Doris, and the idea of this makes me very uneasy. It's yet another way to chew up young skaters and discard them when their injuries wear them out. If skating becomes like gymnastics, where the career span is so brief that every quadrennial features an entirely different roster of skaters, the fan base will really thin out.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just for the record: Nagasu scored 109.08 at Nebelhorn 2011---nowhere near the 127.76 Wagner scored at SA 2012. And Internatonal Bs are known for their tendency to overscore.

Just a month after Nebelhorn, Nagasu went on to score 98.99 in the FS for 5th place at Skate Canada 2011; she was beaten by Tuktamysheva (117.81), Suzuki (119.44), Wagner (110.98) and Leonova (102.47).

The problem with Nagasu is that she is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get. For the past two seasons in the GP, she has medaled at one event and finished off the podium in the other.

BTW, she did go to Skate America in 2008, when she was the reigning US champion. She finished 5th.

ETA: Nagasu scored 163.09 to finish 3rd at Finlandia 2012. If she had scored the same at Skate America, she would have finished 4th.
Her jumps: 3ze, 2a+3t, 3f<, 3f<fall, 3lo+2t, 2a, 3lo----only 3 clean triples.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

Yea...hello...you seem to be way behind on this
Everyone knows Gracie has two GPs.

The question is why wasn't Skate America one of her two assignments?

US Skating lost a chance to showcase their brightest young star the year before the Olympics.

Why?

Some say to make sure Ashley could win SA.

That is basically the difference betweena competition and a coronation.

No doubt Christina put a scare into US Skating by easily winning the SP.....and doubt if she will be invited back anytime soon :scowl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No doubt Christina put a scare into US Skating by easily winning the SP.....and doubt if she will be invited back anytime soon :scowl:

Christina DIDN'T win the SP.

1-60.61 ASHLEY WAGNER
2-58.93 ADELINA SOTNIKOVA
3-56.63 CHRISTINA GAO

janetfan

Match Penalty
Christina DIDN'T win the SP.

1-60.61 ASHLEY WAGNER
2-58.93 ADELINA SOTNIKOVA
3-56.63 CHRISTINA GAO

You missed my point . If I was judging Christina would have won the SP ....and by a comfortable margin.

But that was never gonna happen in a "sport" like figure skating.

The coronation took precedence .....:mad:

b-man

Final Flight
A few things:

2.) Consider that Rachael, while injured, still scored a 92 in the FS and did five non UR triples. What hurt her ultimately were a lack of +GOE in those jumps (I think she should have gotten some more, the jumps were quite solid) and the low levels on spins. Compare that to Caroline Zhang, who was not injured, could not break the 90 mark in 2010 or 2011 Skate America.

Or compare Flatt's GP's last year, a tenth place finish at SC with a 74 in the FS and 128 total, and a 9th place at Rostelcom with a 147 total. Three GP's in a row with 3 poor performances.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You missed my point . If I was judging Christina would have won the SP ....and by a comfortable margin.

But that was never gonna happen in a "sport" like figure skating.

The coronation took precedence .....:mad:

You make no sense. There was ONE US judge on the panel, and the technical panel was RUS-ITA-LAT. There couldn't have been a concerted effort to crown anyone. If anything, Sotnikova got the gentlest treatment from the judges, with ultrahigh PCS scores despite major mistakes in both SP and FS.

b-man

Final Flight
Just a month after Nebelhorn, Nagasu went on to score 98.99 in the FS for 5th place at Skate Canada 2011; she was beaten by Tuktamysheva (117.81), Suzuki (119.44), Wagner (110.98) and Leonova (102.47).

The problem with Nagasu is that she is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get. For the past two seasons in the GP, she has medaled at one event and finished off the podium in the other.

As long as you are cherry picking results, you might as well include last years CoC, Mirai in 2nd with a 173, ahead of 3rd: Sotnikova with 159, 4th K. Zhang with 153, 5th Gao with 152, 6th Murakami with 150 and 7th Makarova with 143. Fourteen points ahead of Sotnikova and 23 ahead of Murakami is nothing to sneeze at. But I agree with your box of chocolates comment.