Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rachel Flatt Competes Injured Again

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    From 14 to 21 is more like seven years, no?
    She didn't enter seniors at 14, though. 2007-2008 was her first senior season, both internationally and nationally. She would have been 16 at her first grand prix event, TEB.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Sorry, I can't agree that Kwan never reached the level of the Olympic winners. Kwan is STILL the most recognized female figure skater among the American public. Sasha never reached Kwan's level of recognition.
    I agree. I'd say Kwan's popularity/name recognition surpasses Lipinski, Hughes, and even Kristi, due in large part to Michelle's 10 years (1995-2005) at or near the very top of ladies skating. I'd venture to guess the only skaters with more name recognition in the last 20 years are Nancy and Tonya.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    She didn't enter seniors at 14, though. 2007-2008 was her first senior season, both internationally and nationally. She would have been 16 at her first grand prix event, TEB.
    This upcoming season will be Ashley's 6th at Natls .....it is not quite accurate to call this her 4th season at Natls.

You can do the math, no?

I was aware of Sasha before she was a senior....and Ashley was also a skater with big potential at a young age. It has taken her a while....really it is an interesting journey but no need to to pretend she just came on the seen a few years ago. Just not true....

Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    She really hasn't seemed to be bothered by low placement in years. When you post disastrous scores like that (SA short program) and then shrug your shoulders in a "whatever" gesture, well it looks like she doesn't care or even want to be there. She had a good, if short, career and seems dedicated to her studies. I'd agree it's time for her to move on.
    I've defended Rachael more in the past 5 or so days than I ever believed possible but I don't think this is really fair. It's true that she shrugged in a whatever gesture but I think she did look disappointed and I am sure she was. I actually view this as more of a sign of her maturity- she shook off the low scores because she doesn't believe they reflect her self-worth and she knew there was nothing to be done then. I though her response was more dignified than that of the sobbing Leonova and I don't think her response meant she didn't care.

I am on team Rachael should move on but I think it's unfair to say she seems like she doesn't care or want to be there. I think it's quite obvious that she did want to be there and very much so- if she did not, she had every reason not to go.

This upcoming season will be Ashley's 6th at Natls .....it is not quite accurate to call this her 4th season at Natls.

You can do the math, no?

I was aware of Sasha before she was a senior....and Ashley was also a skater with big potential at a young age. It has taken her a while....really it is an interesting journey but no need to to pretend she just came on the seen a few years ago. Just not true....
    Well nobody is saying she's just coming on the scene. But certainly it's accurate to say that it's taken four seasons to establish herself at the senior level. Not saying her junior years don't count -- but she was coming through the junior ranks when there wasn't a whole lot of videos available to see those lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I've defended Rachael more in the past 5 or so days than I ever believed possible but I don't think this is really fair. It's true that she shrugged in a whatever gesture but I think she did look disappointed and I am sure she was. I actually view this as more of a sign of her maturity- she shook off the low scores because she doesn't believe they reflect her self-worth and she knew there was nothing to be done then. I though her response was more dignified than that of the sobbing Leonova and I don't think her response meant she didn't care.

I am on team Rachael should move on but I think it's unfair to say she seems like she doesn't care or want to be there. I think it's quite obvious that she did want to be there and very much so- if she did not, she had every reason not to go.
    I agree. Just because she isn't declaring in public or in a dramatic fashion her disappointment, doesn't mean she doesn't care. In fact, I sensed frustration in that quote from the Seattle Times article. You get the sense that she really wants to go at all cylinders, but can't because of the lingering injuries.

I thought Nigel's post said it well.

Well nobody is saying she's just coming on the scene. But certainly it's accurate to say that it's taken four seasons to establish herself at the senior level. Not saying her junior years don't count -- but she was coming through the junior ranks when there wasn't a whole lot of videos available to see those lower levels.
    Just for fun....her is Ashley skating at the GP back in 2007....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-DeUo0wiw

I don't think we have to argue about this. Today's system is difficult and I see it trending towards older champions......

Just for fun....her is Ashley skating at the GP back in 2007....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-DeUo0wiw

I don't think we have to argue about this. Today's system is difficult and I see the trend towards older champions......
    Nah wasn't arguing, just simply clarifying what I said. Thanks for posting the video!

Nah wasn't arguing, just simply clarifying what I said. Thanks for posting the video!
    Here is Ashley at Jr Worlds back in 2007. Easy to recognize her style - which is already pretty developed and mature....and much like what we see today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKhln...=results_video

BTW, I think that is true for most skaters..... if we watch Plushy at 16 we see something stylistically very close to what we see today.

Custom Title
    Mrs P. and tolusai, I don't think there is any problem with Rachael's feelings of self-worth. She is a very accomplished- and impressive- young lady. But the 'whatever' shrug has been in evidence for quite some time- as she's been putting up sub-par performances for quite some time (for whatever reason- injury/school/lack of training time). I do not enjoy watching the Kiss & Cry melt-down of other skaters, but Rachael's shrug has grown wearisome. JMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I though her response was more dignified than that of the sobbing Leonova and I don't think her response meant she didn't care.
    I guess I have a different opinion. I liked that Leonova was disappointed with her SP because I think it shows she's hungry and eager to improve. I sympathize with Rachel's injury problem but there are so many areas that Rachel can improve besides the jumps that wouldn't put a strain on her ankle or back. Her technical content matches Caro's so, to me, it's clear she could be placing much higher by improving other aspects of her skating. (I'm not saying her results can match Caro's but her PCS has actually declined since her peak in 2010).

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I guess I have a different opinion. I liked that Leonova was disappointed with her SP because I think it shows she's hungry and eager to improve. I sympathize with Rachel's injury problem but there are so many areas that Rachel can improve besides the jumps that wouldn't put a strain on her ankle or back. Her technical content matches Caro's so, to me, it's clear she could be placing much higher by improving other aspects of her skating. (I'm not saying her results can match Caro's but her PCS has actually declined since her peak in 2010).
    I wasn't meaning to insult Leonova's response. While I do think it was melodramatic, I like Leonova fine (better I think than most here) and thought her response was normal enough. My point was more that different people show their feelings in different ways. Just because Rachael was not sobbing and shrugged doesn't mean she FELT nothing. I realize it may not have sounded like that, but that was what I meant.

As for the rest, ITA.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I found myself wondering if it is painful for her to push off that ankle at all, and if this contributed to her extreme lack of speed. She's been slow in the past, but never nearly as slow as she is right now. Warming up off ice she actually looked fit, though I think she's grown a bit in the chest department and that makes her look heavier, kind of like Elene Gedevanishvili. She would do well to invest in a bit more support under her costumes.

Or perhaps power work also hurts her ankle? Isn't one of her current coaches well versed in ice dance? You'd think they'd improve her speed if they could, but perhaps they can't right now.

Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    Mrs P. and tolusai, I don't think there is any problem with Rachael's feelings of self-worth. She is a very accomplished- and impressive- young lady. But the 'whatever' shrug has been in evidence for quite some time- as she's been putting up sub-par performances for quite some time (for whatever reason- injury/school/lack of training time). I do not enjoy watching the Kiss & Cry melt-down of other skaters, but Rachael's shrug has grown wearisome. JMO.
    Well how is she supposed to react? I think it's really hard to say how she is "supposed to act" when we have no idea what she is thinking or feeling. The shrug might be her way of expressing disappointment without being OTT.

For me as long as they're not cursing or doing some other outright offensive act, I don't think skaters should be obliged to act in a certain way once they're off the ice to satisfy fans. As toulsai said, people have different ways to react to things.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Maybe she could do like the kid from Atlanta at US Senior B competition and throw up all over kiss and cry if you'd all prefer that reaction.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast