Everyone back home safe and sound? | Golden Skate

Everyone back home safe and sound?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Had a great time at SA with Paul, Mrs.P, Moonlightskater and the gang. You guys are great! It was very interesting to listen to you folks at dinner...
wish I knew one tenth of what you folks do about the sport...hope we can all meet up again in the future. Changed out my orange vest for my lucky
Orange T-shirt on Sunday and man did it work...how fun was Sunday? Yeah! Stupid me forgot to set the video recorder for NBC coverage so I guess I
will have to watch Icenetwork to see me yelling in the third row. I will download my pics soon of the event and post the photobucket link...and while I wont post any pics here of the
Goldenskaters (except for me) , If you like I can send you pics of yourselves through private e-mail.

Look for a big orange T-shirt in the front row at Omaha....;)

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
CC, I looked for you prior to the ice dance FD, but you weren't seated yet. I did, however, find the delightful dorispulaski! Between the ice dance FD and the Ladies, I intended to track down more Goldenskaters, but enjoyed talking to my seatmates so much, I forgot. :) Well, maybe next time! I took a bunch of photos, but haven't uploaded any yet. It will be lucky if any of them are even viewable (I left the heavy DSLR at home and used a pocket camera). I'll post a link here when I do....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I got home safe, thanks! It was snowing on the way home, but it wasn't that bad until ironically AFTER we went over Snoqualmie Pass. But no danger, I'm home. It was great meeting you guys. Sorry I didn't get to meet you LongTimeLurker; maybe another time. :)

I got some decent photos, so I'll link when I get them up.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
LTL and Mrs. P. Please do post your photos....will download mine tonight and see what I got. I have a gutter issue due to a wind storm so I have to work on that tomarrow.
(It turns out lots of folk wear orange or yellow so we shall have to work on a "Uniform" for future comps....personally, I think knowing folk at events doubles the pleasure of the event.
I know few who are going to Omaha....or Boston)
(OK, just checked out the pics I took....got some good fun shots of our crew there, which will not be posted without the permission of the victums...got some other fun shots that maybe only
mean something to me...I will leave it to others to post the best skating shots but I will have a photobucket alblum up sans forum members....
Chris)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've decided to go to the next event on the west coast - unless the airfare jumps more or it's the same time a trip I've already planned is actually happening (or just happened/about to happen)...

unless money goes away...

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I'm home safe and sound- I got back at about 2:15 A.M. after a two hour delay in Chicago. Thankfully today was a slow and relaxing day at work and I have tomorrow off to re-adjust to the Eastern time zone. I'm missing the skating already- I really enjoyed watching each and every competitor in the competition for various reasons. Despite the meltdowns in the men's long programs it was such a high level for the first competition of the season.

It was fun meeting you all! Here's to hoping for more events that are possible to travel to. I think I might need to try to make it to NWP regionals next fall if they are indeed held at Sprinker in Lakewood (my old rink).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm home safe and sound- I got back at about 2:15 A.M. after a two hour delay in Chicago. Thankfully today was a slow and relaxing day at work and I have tomorrow off to re-adjust to the Eastern time zone. I'm missing the skating already- I really enjoyed watching each and every competitor in the competition for various reasons. Despite the meltdowns in the men's long programs it was such a high level for the first competition of the season.

It was fun meeting you all! Here's to hoping for more events that are possible to travel to. I think I might need to try to make it to NWP regionals next fall if they are indeed held at Sprinker in Lakewood (my old rink).
Got a great shot of you with Paul....! Great to meet you and if the NWP regionals are in Lakewood, I might have to check them out unless they are during the SA time period....
chris

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I agree with all the above comments. I enjoyed meeting the Golden Skaters and really enjoyed the competition. I was especially happy for Christina and Ashley. It was great to see them do so well early in the season. I am glad everyone that has reported made it home okay. I got home easily on Monday since it was just a short drive of 100 miles with a ferry trip. However I was really tired and it has taken me several days to start to recover. My wife took off to visit her mother the day after I got home but I have our dog at home to take care of me. I hope to see some of you again at a future competition.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with all the above comments. I enjoyed meeting the Golden Skaters and really enjoyed the competition. I was especially happy for Christina and Ashley. It was great to see them do so well early in the season. I am glad everyone that has reported made it home okay. I got home easily on Monday since it was just a short drive of 100 miles with a ferry trip. However I was really tired and it has taken me several days to start to recover. My wife took off to visit her mother the day after I got home but I have our dog at home to take care of me. I hope to see some of you again at a future competition.

So great to meet you as well, Paul! If I ever make it your neck of the woods, I'll have to say hi. :) But yes, I hope we can see each other at a future competition.

A good friend of mine works for the Snohomish County Sports Commission and I told him that he needs to work hard to get Skate America back to Comcast Arena again. ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was great to meet you all. I won't make it home till Sunday, as we are visiting friends in Oregon (we rented a car and drove down here from Kent. Seeing you all just made the event much more fun. I hope we can all get together at some future competition.

Mr. Ski took a lot of photos of the short programs and the men's LP and pairs LP. After we go through them, I will definitely upload them and post links.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
Okay, here are some pictures I took. They're not sharp (decided to leave the heavy SLR at home). Some photos I included are pretty blurry, but might show an awkward landing or the back of a dress.

I'll post my thoughts after I gather them. They're around here somewhere....

Last edited:

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
Now that I have rum and eggnog in front of me, I am ready to type!

Disclaimer: I’m not a skating uber-fan, I just like skating. With that in mind, here we go….
Oh yeah, and I will bounce between past- and present-tense.

The only part of the competition I was there for was the Ice Dance and Ladies Final session on Sunday afternoon. The drive to the arena was good, with no rain and an accurate GPS. After being efficiently told where to park, I waited in the car a bit to make sure that the minivan that backed in next to me didn’t door ding me. They didn’t, so I was a happy camper. Off I walked to the arena entrance, where there were many people but no/little lines to speak of. After getting my bag rifled through, I went in search of CoyoteChris, but he was not yet in his seat. Next, I went in search of dorispulaski, and there she was! We had a quick chat (and she showed me where Mrs. P would be sitting), but I figured I’d best find my seat before the darkness freaked me out (can’t see too well in the dark). Although I missed the last stair, I kept on walking and hoped no one saw me. After figuring out where my seat was, I was pleased with both the view (row 11, not far from the broadcast booth) and the folks sitting next to me (aka Mr. & Mrs. Seatmate). They were very nice, and we were about the same level of enthusiasm.

First up were the ice dancers. Although I know little about singles/pairs skating, I know even less about ice dance. When Zhiganshina & Gazsi came up, we couldn’t quite figure out what their costumes were all about. Mrs. Seatmate thought maybe they were poor. Mr. Seatmate thought maybe they were hobos. “A purple hobo?”, I said. But then after the starting pose, we realized they were supposed to be zombies. It was an entertaining routine, staying in character for every second of it and definitely hamming it up. We really liked Weaver & Poje’s routine and were disappointed that they were third (although I guess he messed up a twizzle a bit). Davis & White were, of course, quite good, but I can’t say I loved their routine as much as I loved Der Fledermaus. Maybe it will grow on me. Oh, and that stuff after the end of the routine (picking her up, spinning her around, gazing longingly into her eyes) just seemed cheesy and fake to me. I enjoy watching Davis & White, so maybe I will just avert my eyes after the end of their next Free Dance. After the FD ended, I intended to go find some of you fine folks. I ended up enjoying talking to Mr. & Mrs. Seatmate so much that I forgot until it was too late! Doh!

Next up were the ladies. Yes, Rachael was slower than the others, but I didn’t think her routine was as bad as some folks are making it out to be. She did not fall all over the place, and her dress was beautiful (although not as flattering as her SP dress). Keep on competing until you don’t want to, I say! Then came Alena Leonova in a nice red dress, which was way better than her confusing SP dress. When her face was shown on the big screen, she looked like she was on the verge of crying, poor thing. I felt so bad for her when she was sobbing in the K&C after her SP. Anyway, her routine was a bit shaky, but it was far better than her SP. I think her coach Icky Nicky was reasonably pleased (I told Mrs. Seatmate a bit about Icky Nicky, as she was suitable horrified). Haruka Imai got my vote for prettiest dress. Loved the lavender with lots of sparkles! Of course, it doesn’t hurt that her coach is My Favorite Skater of All Time. I liked Viktoria’s new haircut, and thought it suited her. She is a pretty gal, and the light blue dress was a good color on her. As for Valentina, I could not figure out what the gloves were all about. Not a fan of the pink gloves. Aside from that, I think she has improved over last season and is off to a good start. Mae Berenice looked solidly built and strong. I think this will be a good year for her. Before this competition, I had seen Christina Gao only once (Nationals, I think), and it wasn’t memorable one way or the other. This time, however, did she ever make an impression! A great skate for a young lady with a good future. It wouldn’t surprise me if she was second at Nationals and gave Ashley a run for her money. Then came Adelina Sotnikova. I hadn’t really seen her before, either, but had high expectation from everything I had read. First, I found the music from the first half of her routine to be too sophisticated for her age. It just didn’t work. Her blue dress was made of the same type of fabric as her black SP dress – it looks like a sheer fabric over a nude background. The effect was, IMHO, not appropriate. It didn’t leave anything to the imagination. If you look at some photos, you will see what I mean…. Anyway, she had good speed, but I was underwhelmed. Maybe when I see her skate again, it will be better. Last but not least was Ashley Wagner. I was happy to read (from her live chat at the Seattle Times) that she had performed “minor surgery” on her costume, but the color still is not flattering on her. I cannot imagine who would ask her such a question, can you? :slink: Anyway, the dress wasn’t all that bad, but I didn’t particularly care for it. It’s better in person than in photos, though. Anyway, she toughed it out through her routine. It wasn’t flawless, but it was apparent that she was well-trained and that the program would improve as the season progresses.

Hopefully 4CC or Skate America will return to the NW! Maybe then I’ll be able to stay for the entire event and can meet all of you. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Disclaimer: I’m not a skating uber-fan, I just like skating. With that in mind, here we go….

The only part of the competition I was there for was the Ice Dance and Ladies Final session on Sunday afternoon. The drive to the arena was good, with no rain and an accurate GPS. After being efficiently told where to park, I waited in the car a bit to make sure that the minivan that backed in next to me didn’t door ding me. They didn’t, so I was a happy camper. Off I walked to the arena entrance, where there were many people but no/little lines to speak of. After getting my bag rifled through, I went in search of CoyoteChris, but he was not yet in his seat. Next, I went in search of dorispulaski, and there she was! We had a quick chat (and she showed me where Mrs. P would be sitting), but I figured I’d best find my seat before the darkness freaked me out (can’t see too well in the dark). Although I missed the last stair, I kept on walking and hoped no one saw me. After figuring out where my seat was, I was pleased with both the view (row 11, not far from the broadcast booth) and the folks sitting next to me (aka Mr. & Mrs. Seatmate). They were very nice, and we were about the same level of enthusiasm.

First up were the ice dancers. Although I know little about singles/pairs skating, I know even less about ice dance. When Zhiganshina & Gazsi came up, we couldn’t quite figure out what their costumes were all about. Mrs. Seatmate thought maybe they were poor. Mr. Seatmate thought maybe they were hobos. “A purple hobo?”, I said. But then after the starting pose, we realized they were supposed to be zombies. It was an entertaining routine, staying in character for every second of it and definitely hamming it up. We really liked Weaver & Poje’s routine and were disappointed that they were third (although I guess he messed up a twizzle a bit). Davis & White were, of course, quite good, but I can’t say I loved their routine as much as I loved Der Fledermaus. Maybe it will grow on me. Oh, and that stuff after the end of the routine (picking her up, spinning her around, gazing longingly into her eyes) just seemed cheesy and fake to me. I enjoy watching Davis & White, so maybe I will just avert my eyes after the end of their next Free Dance. After the FD ended, I intended to go find some of you fine folks. I ended up enjoying talking to Mr. & Mrs. Seatmate so much that I forgot until it was too late! Doh!

Next up were the ladies. Yes, Rachael was slower than the others, but I didn’t think her routine was as bad as some folks are making it out to be. She did not fall all over the place, and her dress was beautiful (although not as flattering as her SP dress). Keep on competing until you don’t want to, I say! Then came Alena Leonova in a nice red dress, which was way better than her confusing SP dress. When her face was shown on the big screen, she looked like she was on the verge of crying, poor thing. I felt so bad for her when she was sobbing in the K&C after her SP. Anyway, her routine was a bit shaky, but it was far better than her SP. I think her coach Icky Nicky was reasonably pleased (I told Mrs. Seatmate a bit about Icky Nicky, as she was suitable horrified). Haruka Imai got my vote for prettiest dress. Loved the lavender with lots of sparkles! Of course, it doesn’t hurt that her coach is My Favorite Skater of All Time. I liked Viktoria’s new haircut, and thought it suited her. She is a pretty gal, and the light blue dress was a good color on her. As for Valentina, I could not figure out what the gloves were all about. Not a fan of the pink gloves. Aside from that, I think she has improved over last season and is off to a good start. Mae Berenice looked solidly built and strong. I think this will be a good year for her. Before this competition, I had seen Christina Gao only once (Nationals, I think), and it wasn’t memorable one way or the other. This time, however, did she ever make an impression! A great skate for a young lady with a good future. It wouldn’t surprise me if she was second at Nationals and gave Ashley a run for her money. Then came Adelina Sotnikova. I hadn’t really seen her before, either, but had high expectation from everything I had read. First, I found the music from the first half of her routine to be too sophisticated for her age. It just didn’t work. Her blue dress was made of the same type of fabric as her black SP dress – it looks like a sheer fabric over a nude background. The effect was, IMHO, not appropriate. It didn’t leave anything to the imagination. If you look at some photos, you will see what I mean…. Anyway, she had good speed, but I was underwhelmed. Maybe when I see her skate again, it will be better. Last but not least was Ashley Wagner. I was happy to read (from her live chat at the Seattle Times) that she had performed “minor surgery” on her costume, but the color still is not flattering on her. I cannot imagine who would ask her such a question, can you? :slink: Anyway, the dress wasn’t all that bad, but I didn’t particularly care for it. It’s better in person than in photos, though. Anyway, she toughed it out through her routine. It wasn’t flawless, but it was apparent that she was well-trained and that the program would improve as the season progresses.

Hopefully 4CC or Skate America will return to the NW! Maybe then I’ll be able to stay for the entire event and can meet all of you. :)

Thanks for your view points! And again sorry we didn't get to meet.

Anyway, I too hope for another event in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle is getting a new arena and NHL team...so perhaps?!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Thanks for your reports -- love hearing about your interactions with Mr. and Mrs. Seatmate and Icky Nicky.

Sorry we did not get to meet, but yes next time. Seattle is getting a new arena and a NHL team, so .... :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Okay, here are some pictures I took. They're not sharp (decided to leave the heavy SLR at home). Some photos I included are pretty blurry, but might show an awkward landing or the back of a dress.

I'll post my thoughts after I gather them. They're around here somewhere....
LTL, thanks for posting your pics and dont forget to look us up the next time you make an event....we play well with others and dont bark an bite. May I ask what camera you were using? Make and Model Number? Many of us as not as good as Toni at taking pics and the new USFSA camera policy as posted at Boston 2014 is very strict. Most point and shoots wont open up farther than F8 which makes taking good action shots hard....
Here is a shot I took at a 4 conts a while back....wish I had had a better camera.
z.jpg

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
LTL, thanks for posting your pics and dont forget to look us up the next time you make an event....we play well with others and dont bark an bite. May I ask what camera you were using? Make and Model Number? Many of us as not as good as Toni at taking pics and the new USFSA camera policy as posted at Boston 2014 is very strict. Most point and shoots wont open up farther than F8 which makes taking good action shots hard....
Here is a shot I took at a 4 conts a while back....wish I had had a better camera.
z.jpg

Wow, what an incredible shot, CC! I don't understand why the camera policy is so strict, grrrrrr.....
Anyway, the cameras I used this year were a five-year-old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 (images begin w/ P) and a newish Canon PowerShot S95 (images begin w/ IMG). The Panasonic does too few things well for me to keep, so I'm keeping an eye out for something new. The Canon doesn't have enough zoom to make it practical for me.
In hindsight, I wish I would have taken my Canon S3-IS instead. Here are some photos I took with it at Skate America 2008. Between selling this and the Panasonic, I'm hoping for something that's kind of a hybrid of both.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have a DMC-FZ5 and a Powershot SX130. I am still learning the Powershot....most of these cameras with the zoom give you a maximum of about 500 mm worth of F8 lens....some are better now with greater zooms, but as we all know technology marches on and someday there will be smaller cameras with bigger apps (I hope). I can understand the camera policy. The real USFSA policy as stated on their site is pretty much "you cant interfer with the pleasure of another fan". Unfortunately, there are many fans who watch whole events through their view finders and operate on Machinegun mode. This is very distracting.....here is an example of two rude people who rose out of their seats to machinegun skaters at every chance. The pic is from Cleveland and I am six ft two inches tall......this was my view.
John2.jpg

I do take pics, mostly at practices and seldom during competition, and almost never during a performance. I think there should be special sections so that these folk can hit each other's lenses (and heads) while they take their 10,000 pics. I have nothing against taking some pics, but there are many folk that are out of hand. The current philosophy of arena seat design mimics that of airliners...pack 'um in till they scream. Since we have no choice about where we sit, the length of lenses simply can not be 18 inches and the fans refuse to turn off the artificial clicking noise of their cameras, if they can. I dont need a clicker in my ear during a performance and I carry a copy of the event camera policy with me to show the ushers should I run into some rude seatmate.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not seeing them standing in that pic :scratch: even when I don't shoot an event I'm liable to sit up tall at some point as my butt hurts sitting so long.

I'm one of those that lives in my viewfinder... and I cannot turn off the shutter sound... as it does have a shutter... and it's a canon. that's how we roll...

btw, what changes has the USFSA made?

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm not seeing them standing in that pic :scratch: even when I don't shoot an event I'm liable to sit up tall at some point as my butt hurts sitting so long.

I'm one of those that lives in my viewfinder... and I cannot turn off the shutter sound... as it does have a shutter... and it's a canon. that's how we roll...

btw, what changes has the USFSA made?
They didnt stand up, they rose up. You can do this by leaning forward and then putting weight on your feet and rising six inches....the pitch of the arena at Cleveland was hideous. It was for basketball.
Like I say, I have no problem with people taking some pics....but things were getting out of hand so the USFSA had to do something. I have seen arguments now in the stands. At ISU Worlds LA, they had a coat check type room
for lenses and cameras.
Here is the current, as of today, policy, copied and pasted right from the usfsa website.
(you will note it is not as severe as the Boston 2014 policy)

U.S. Figure Skating Camera Policy

Spectators are permitted to use cameras at events for personal use only. The following are not permitted: •Flash photography
•Any type transmitter mechanism for the purpose of using a flash or strobes
•Cameras that interfere with other fans' enjoyment
•Any resale of photography or posting photos on websites
•Video recording. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside during that skater's/team's practice or performance.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff.

By the way, I do apologize if anyone is offended by my views on cameras in arenas. But I am offended by anyone bringing in large noisy mechanical devices and sticking them in my field of view when I have paid so much to watch a performance. I still think the USFSA should offer special sections for photog hobbiests who could not get accredited for the normal photog section. That would solve some of the problem.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
interesting... I think I'm in violation of their rules then as I do display my photos...