Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Everyone back home safe and sound?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    LTL, thanks for posting your pics and dont forget to look us up the next time you make an event....we play well with others and dont bark an bite. May I ask what camera you were using? Make and Model Number? Many of us as not as good as Toni at taking pics and the new USFSA camera policy as posted at Boston 2014 is very strict. Most point and shoots wont open up farther than F8 which makes taking good action shots hard....
    Here is a shot I took at a 4 conts a while back....wish I had had a better camera.
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...Chris303/z.jpg
    Wow, what an incredible shot, CC! I don't understand why the camera policy is so strict, grrrrrr.....
    Anyway, the cameras I used this year were a five-year-old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 (images begin w/ P) and a newish Canon PowerShot S95 (images begin w/ IMG). The Panasonic does too few things well for me to keep, so I'm keeping an eye out for something new. The Canon doesn't have enough zoom to make it practical for me.
    In hindsight, I wish I would have taken my Canon S3-IS instead. Here are some photos I took with it at Skate America 2008. Between selling this and the Panasonic, I'm hoping for something that's kind of a hybrid of both.

I have a DMC-FZ5 and a Powershot SX130. I am still learning the Powershot....most of these cameras with the zoom give you a maximum of about 500 mm worth of F8 lens....some are better now with greater zooms, but as we all know technology marches on and someday there will be smaller cameras with bigger apps (I hope). I can understand the camera policy. The real USFSA policy as stated on their site is pretty much "you cant interfer with the pleasure of another fan". Unfortunately, there are many fans who watch whole events through their view finders and operate on Machinegun mode. This is very distracting.....here is an example of two rude people who rose out of their seats to machinegun skaters at every chance. The pic is from Cleveland and I am six ft two inches tall......this was my view.
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...land/John2.jpg
    I do take pics, mostly at practices and seldom during competition, and almost never during a performance. I think there should be special sections so that these folk can hit each other's lenses (and heads) while they take their 10,000 pics. I have nothing against taking some pics, but there are many folk that are out of hand. The current philosophy of arena seat design mimics that of airliners...pack 'um in till they scream. Since we have no choice about where we sit, the length of lenses simply can not be 18 inches and the fans refuse to turn off the artificial clicking noise of their cameras, if they can. I dont need a clicker in my ear during a performance and I carry a copy of the event camera policy with me to show the ushers should I run into some rude seatmate.

I'm not seeing them standing in that pic even when I don't shoot an event I'm liable to sit up tall at some point as my butt hurts sitting so long.

I'm one of those that lives in my viewfinder... and I cannot turn off the shutter sound... as it does have a shutter... and it's a canon. that's how we roll...

btw, what changes has the USFSA made?
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 10-30-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'm not seeing them standing in that pic even when I don't shoot an event I'm liable to sit up tall at some point as my butt hurts sitting so long.

I'm one of those that lives in my viewfinder... and I cannot turn off the shutter sound... as it does have a shutter... and it's a canon. that's how we roll...

btw, what changes has the USFSA made?
    They didnt stand up, they rose up. You can do this by leaning forward and then putting weight on your feet and rising six inches....the pitch of the arena at Cleveland was hideous. It was for basketball.
    Like I say, I have no problem with people taking some pics....but things were getting out of hand so the USFSA had to do something. I have seen arguments now in the stands. At ISU Worlds LA, they had a coat check type room
    for lenses and cameras.
    Here is the current, as of today, policy, copied and pasted right from the usfsa website.
    (you will note it is not as severe as the Boston 2014 policy)

U.S. Figure Skating Camera Policy

Spectators are permitted to use cameras at events for personal use only. The following are not permitted: •Flash photography
    •Any type transmitter mechanism for the purpose of using a flash or strobes
    •Cameras that interfere with other fans' enjoyment
    •Any resale of photography or posting photos on websites
    •Video recording. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside during that skater's/team's practice or performance.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff.

By the way, I do apologize if anyone is offended by my views on cameras in arenas. But I am offended by anyone bringing in large noisy mechanical devices and sticking them in my field of view when I have paid so much to watch a performance. I still think the USFSA should offer special sections for photog hobbiests who could not get accredited for the normal photog section. That would solve some of the problem.

interesting... I think I'm in violation of their rules then as I do display my photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    interesting... I think I'm in violation of their rules then as I do display my photos...
    Exactly. Me too. I assume they will come after me soon for posting photos and also tearing the tag off my pillow that says, "Do not Remove".

What is really odd is the rules for Boston 2014. Not many cameras fall into the acceptible range.....Quote:
    The official U.S. Figure Skating video and camera policy will be enforced for the U.S. Championships.

Specifically prohibited are:
    - Lenses greater than three-and-one-half inches in length
    - Telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind
    - Interchangeable lenses of any kind
    - Monopods or tripods
    - Flash equipment of any kind

Custom Title
    No "telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind"? That is odd.... About the only "camera" that does not have a zoom of any kind would be the kind on phones.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    No "telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind"? That is odd.... About the only "camera" that does not have a zoom of any kind would be the kind on phones.
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too. And, of course, it says that it will also enforce the USFSA rules, also. My guess is that in the real world of the Boston arena, any point and shoot will be allowed in
    during the competition.....may be more for practice.....

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Exactly. Me too. I assume they will come after me soon for posting photos and also tearing the tag off my pillow that says, "Do not Remove".

What is really odd is the rules for Boston 2014. Not many cameras fall into the acceptible range.....Quote:
    The official U.S. Figure Skating video and camera policy will be enforced for the U.S. Championships.

Specifically prohibited are:
    - Lenses greater than three-and-one-half inches in length
    - Telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind
    - Interchangeable lenses of any kind
    - Monopods or tripods
    - Flash equipment of any kind

That's crazy. I couldn't take any of my cameras, then. One more reason, I suppose, that I won't be going to Nationals again any time soon. Price it that high and then I can't even take a camera (which might as well be an extension of my hand as is)?! No thanks, USFSA... I'll go to Disney and save money AND get to bring my camera!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2