Thread: Agree/disagree buttons

Custom Title

Agree/disagree buttons

This has probably come up before but I was wondering

The only other forum site I visit is Ravelry - about knitting and crocheting. In their forums every post has buttons beneath it that say things like 'agree' 'disagree' 'interesting' educational' funny' and 'love' and then users can click on these to indicate their thoughts. They act like toggle switches - click once and it's on click again and it off. This means you can disagree with some one 10 times, just once.

I find them useful and interesting. Not only is a quick way for me to indicate 'yes, this is what I think' with out posting a full reply, they act like little voting booths so you can see what others think too.

I would say in general it's a little less emotional over there. People are less likely to get upset with others opinions then what I sometimes see here. But it does happen. I can see people getting a hurt if they get a bunch of 'disagree's, but I overall I think most would enjoy the feature.

I don't know if this is a common function on internet boards, that you have explored and rejected, or something unique to Ravelry. I'd like to see it on GS
    Last edited by ivy; 10-23-2012 at 07:22 AM.

We've debated something similar to this hack before, but we'd like to encourage discussion more than likes. But with your request I'm sure we'll take another look at the idea.

Custom Title
    One thing it helps me do is to zero in on the posts that are interesting or educational. I don't see it hampering discussion over there, and often people will start a follow up post 'owning my disagree (or agree)....'. Currently I believe it's anonymous when you click a button.

Ravelry runs on a completely different software platform. There are similar modifications for our platform, however, they do not provide what you are looking for.

Custom Title
    ivy
    "Like"/"dislike" buttons can be very useful on technical forums, but judging by my personal experience usually they don't serve for more than being another weapon in flame wars and a motivation to create bots.
    I never visited Ravelry, but I assume it's more on the technical side, so they are useful there. They are extremely useful on forums like stackoverflow.com, for example.
    However, on forums like Goldenskate where people still are talking about "Yuna vs Mao" it's gonna be a little more than a way to massively throw crap at each other. So I would vote "no" to this proposition

I don't know if this is a common function on internet boards
    It is. I don't know how it's implemented on Ravelry, but it comes as a part of standard IPB suit and probably in vBulletin too. However, if it's more than just "like"/"dislike" function, it can be pretty hard to write an extension like this, so I assume it would be difficult to implement it here.