Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: How do the top men rank now that the season's begun?

There are no pro comps anymore. I like all skating but prefer a Carolina over a great jumper like Yuna. I prefer lines, flow, musicality, good footwork, attractive spins over the same moves and same spins and frenetic programs. I prefer watching Chan do Elegy than see him skate and fall a lot. I think he's a beautiful blade to ice skater. I like Dai's elegance and skating full of subtle nuances. Surya and Irina were jumpers but I could barely watch them when younger. I think they must revise skating totally and IJS to favor sport to get an audience and to mass audience jumps in the mens are most exciting, but I'd rather watch paul Wylie from the past skate than current skaters who have programs that are about point getting. I will watch no matter what direction FS takes, as long as I have some access to it, but I will always prefer beauty over just jumps.

I loved Stojko, but if I had to choose a skater to watch, it would be another Canadian. Kurt above all others, his past programs, Not to say Elvis wasn't exciting and masterful. I actual liked his martial arts programs as this was truly him at his best. When he tried to be an egyptian, it was dreadful. Awful choreo/costume etc. People need to find their own strength. Some are athletes, some are artists. I prefer mature artists, though we see few these days as skating has no pro future except for a handful of folks. I thinkj it is getting like gymnastics. We will be lucky to have a senior do one quadrennial.

It remains to be seen in the comeback kids from Vancouver and Plushenko of several Olys will even get to Sochi. I always prefer the That's just me. Old fan, lol.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 10-25-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Custom Title
    That explained largely about majority fans preference - artistry first. And I think that is the source of the conflicts between a sport-first scoring and artistry-first audiences.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-25-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    you spelled" the" wrong...it is fast typing or u transpose teh from the all the time.
    yes my fingers are dyslexic... we can have fun with typos, no biggie.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    A better comparison would be, should we give string theorists partial credit for coming up with an amusing theory, or should we insist on some sort of actual achievement before we start giving out Nobel prizes?
    Some "amusing" theories inspire thoughts, opening windows to different views, and thus contribute to the advancement of a scientific discipline. Optimality Theory in Linguistics, for instance, has logical flaws. It is more of a paradigm explaining what might have happened, rather than a theory proving what has happened or will happen. Even so, it has been the hottest linguistic theory of the past decade. I guess one of the reasons for partial credit concerns its inspiration value.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I disagree a bit. Had Yuka's most difficult jump been a 3T she would never have gotten those kind of marks. Yes she did everything well but there's a lot of skaters who do everything well but couldn't pull the marks because they didn't have the most difficult triples. So in that sense a failed 3Z did factor into the scoring and allowed her to score higher than probably a successful 3T would have. (Witt completed a 3T-2T and a clean program but finished one spot ahead of Yuka in the SP).
    The funny thing is 5 of the 9 judges had Yuka over Witt, and 2 others had them tied but Witt won since the tech. mark was the tiebreaker. Witt only came out ahead of Yuka due to how the ordinals came out. Yuka was a bit unlucky to not be in the final flight over Witt, and if she were she probably would have won the bronze over Chen with her LP skate that night.

Yuka was just a better skater than Witt at that point, better spins, much better footwork, better speed and basic skating. That is why Yuka and her single lutz almost ended up tied with Witt and her triple toe.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Some "amusing" theories inspire thoughts, opening windows to different views, and thus contribute to the advancement of a scientific discipline. Optimality Theory in Linguistics, for instance, has logical flaws. It is more of a paradigm explaining what might have happened, rather than a theory proving what has happened or will happen. Even so, it has been the hottest linguistic theory of the past decade. I guess one of the reasons for partial credit concerns its inspiration value.
    I missed that! Welcome back!

Custom Title
    Fernandez looked very strong last weekend, and got the first ever gold medal in an international skating competition. If he continues the success, he will be on the European's podium. However, he was strong in the early season last year too. So we have to wait and see his NHK. Oda was very good too this time. The men's field is really leveling and jammed at the top. No one is a lock to any competitions. It all depends on what they could deliver on the ice at the right time and right place.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6