Who is going? | Golden Skate

Who is going?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you wish and you are going, I can relate some interesting information that has come my way as far as being a fan at London.
I have stopped ranting on "the brand X" forum but would be glad to add you to the list of friends who are going and I can send out any info I find out.
Or I can just post it here. Also I would appreciate any info you folks have as far as being a fan there. A person who lives there would
be ideal.....
chris

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chris definitely share the info :yes: I think it did well in the SKAM forum before the event. :yes:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Right now, the organizers pretty well have their head up their...err....this is a family forum, isnt it? There are some very nice hotels near the small arena that are full of skaters, coaches, and tour folk. All are full.
The rest of us are at cheep but nice hotels clustered around the White Oaks Mall, four miles south. I think there are about 15 hotels and motels there. The bus system runs every half hour but of course is made for the locals
and its capacity is unknown. There are cabs ($20 a pop) but what is going to happen when 1500 fans want to go four miles south of the arena, all at the same time, at 10 pm? I am hoping to share rides with those in my
hotel or one near mine who will have cars for $10 each way. I am not getting much out of the organizers or the tourism bureau in the way of info about a possible cab stand, shuttle, etc. I have repectfully and politely requested
them to do an analysis of their transportation system as it exists today and ask themselves what will happen when we all show up. Boston, Bless them, has already promised a shuttle for the two mile journey to and from the
hotels to the arenas (two miles). I suppose the worst case is I hopefully find a cab and pay $40 a day. If there is a cab stand, some of us can share the expenses. Anyway, if anyone is going and has a car, I have cash.....

Victura

On the Ice
In terms of traveling there, would it be feasible to drive from Buffalo? It looks like it'd be a 2.5 hour drive, and I could rent a car to go over there. Would there be parking near the arena?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In terms of traveling there, would it be feasible to drive from Buffalo? It looks like it'd be a 2.5 hour drive, and I could rent a car to go over there. Would there be parking near the arena?
Sure, driving is a good thing from Buffalo. See the official website for parking info, and there is a good chamber of commerce guide to the many city parking lots, or just google London ontario canada downtown parking.
If you dont mind walking three or four blocks, I dont see parking as an issue. Make sure your rental agency doesnt mind you going to Canada. I doubt that they would but it never hurts to check. Another thing you can do
is buddy up with folks at or near your hotel. I (I mean "they"...wink wink) would be glad to pay beaucoup bucks for rides to avoid the dreaded mass transit system and cabs.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Apparently parking is still up in the air according to Skate Canada. Parking is all city owned so I'm not sure what the costs are going to be. Or if there's going to be overpriced parking passes

kwalker

Rinkside
I live in London. There is a very small parking lot at the JLC. And an couple larger ones a few blocks away. All are paid parking. If you are willing to walk a little further there is free parking on some of the streets downtown. The bus system in London is pretty decent unfortunately after certain times at night the buses run less frequently. I live on the opposite side of town so my family drives when we watch the OHL team play and we have never had any issues finding places to park.

starryxskies

On the Ice
I live in London. There is a very small parking lot at the JLC. And an couple larger ones a few blocks away. All are paid parking. If you are willing to walk a little further there is free parking on some of the streets downtown. The bus system in London is pretty decent unfortunately after certain times at night the buses run less frequently. I live on the opposite side of town so my family drives when we watch the OHL team play and we have never had any issues finding places to park.

Thanks for your tips!! Would you say the arena is fairly filled out when you had to find parking? And what are the rates?

emdee

Final Flight
If any one is at the Holiday Inn and wants to share a cab to and from or wants to share parking let me know.
I heard there would be a parking draw but now havent heard anything.

kwalker

Rinkside
Thanks for your tips!! Would you say the arena is fairly filled out when you had to find parking? And what are the rates?

It typically costs between 10 and 15 dollars depending on the parking lot. And generally yes we tend to get to the arena just before the game starts. I believe the bus costs 2.75 for adults now. Anything else feel free to ask me!

Kwalker, you're going to be the most important GS member during the run-up to Worlds and the competition itself!

b-man

Final Flight
I bought a 3 pack with three sessions for worlds, received tickets today in mail. Still haven received tickets for US Nationals.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
My friend and I will be staying at the Hilton Homewood Suites, 3/12 to 3/17. I'm renting a car, so I can give lifts to and from the arena if you're staying at the same hotel. No payment required....just lookin' for some good karma.

waterblades

On the Ice
If you wish and you are going, I can relate some interesting information that has come my way as far as being a fan at London.
I have stopped ranting on "the brand X" forum but would be glad to add you to the list of friends who are going and I can send out any info I find out.
Or I can just post it here. Also I would appreciate any info you folks have as far as being a fan there. A person who lives there would
be ideal.....
chris

I am from London and going to the event, how can I help you enjoy your experience here?
I saw some of your messages about transportation and I can say if you are driving you can find parking you might need to walk a bit but it is doable.
Cabs will be waiting out front of the arena, we don't have cab stands, there are lots of other places to get bus tickets then just the mall. I have also heard that some of the hotels are offering shuttles to the event.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
waterblades, thanks so much for the info.

It's good to hear that there will be shuttles.

And Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long & often!

waterblades

On the Ice
waterblades, thanks so much for the info.

It's good to hear that there will be shuttles.

And Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long & often!
You are very welcome, I will try and answer as many questions about London as I can. Just be sure to check with your hotel on the shuttles.

waterblades

On the Ice
Yes there is parking you may have to walk a bit but I will gladly help you plan your trip here.

waterblades

On the Ice
Apparently parking is still up in the air according to Skate Canada. Parking is all city owned so I'm not sure what the costs are going to be. Or if there's going to be overpriced parking passes
Actually most parking isn't city owned, it by a private company, we don't know much yet, other then City Residents that normally park in the lots downtown are being told they have to park elsewhere that week.