Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Good recipe search

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Gonna try polenta tomorrow night using Doris' recipe! Dad found a main dish he wanted me to do... so I am compromising... polenta with pasta? we'll see how it goes lol
    Good luck! I'm sure it will be delicious!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Be sure to tell us. And be sure to keep stirring the polenta, or it will lump.

Check the package you buy for how long to cook. I try to use the slower cooking kinds of everything, but the faster ones aren't terrible.

Like Old Fashioned vs Quick Cooking Oatmeal.

Custom Title
    Rats! I missed two whole weeks of your dinners because of the power/internet blackout. The Snow White dinner looks splendid on your blog! Polenta is wonderful, and I'm sure the family will love it. The texture is delectable, not like any other starch I can think of.

Doris, your recipes are splendid. I still have some of your recipes from last year--the two fruitcakes. People eat well at your house! I agree with you about oatmeal and other quick versus slow foods. I'm not much of a cook, but I do make a lot of different kinds of grains. The slower-cooking ones take longer but result in better flavor.

The one contribution I can add is that chestnuts make a great vegetable all by themselves. Friends had chestnuts in a lovely sauce at a dinner they invited me to. I don't have any recipes, but I've bought ready-cooked chestnuts here on the east coast. You can also puree them for a great dessert--they have a natural sweetness that doesn't need a lot of added sugar.
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Olympia - you didn't miss much, I was super sick last week so I didn't cook... the week before was the kick off. I think I linked it in a post further back in teh thread. If not it's on my blog - http://tonichelle.blogspot.com It was FANTASTIC... soooo sooo good, the family is still talking about it.

Come to find out I'm the only one who's never had polenta in our family. Mom's excited because she can use it instead of pasta for the dish so she won't feel left out (or suffer through her gluten free pastey pasta).

Custom Title
    Yeah, gluten-free pasta is a drag. It falls apart when you boil it. Whereas polenta doesn't need gluten to stick together, so its texture is smooth and tender. I guess the closest thing to it is grits, which of course I also love (being fond of starch). Another great grain dish is kasha, or buckwheat groats. (Well, really it isn't botanically a grain.) It smells wonderful as it's cooking, kind of nutlike.

I did see your blog and loved the photos and descriptions. I'm so sorry you were sick last week. This week will taste all the nicer because you were deprived last week.

New post is up - shout out to my GS peeps! http://tonichelle.blogspot.com/2012/...ed-dinner.html

ETA - Olympia, gluten free bread/pasta of any kind is awful. I feel so bad for my mom - she loves that stuff and it's just been in the last couple of years that she's having such horrible issues. It's so weird. But I have the same issue with not being able to have dairy. Grew up on the stuff and then hit college age and all of a sudden it tries to kill me. But I am willing to feel icky for a day if I OD on cheese or ice cream... because I can't not have it!
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 11-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Custom Title
    I think that both cheese and ice cream are worth a day of icky. The non-dairy substitutes are barely a shadow of the real things. Might as well do without in between intervals of eating the authentic item for a day or so.

Just read your blog. The peach tart looks scrumptious. So Bambi is next. Good idea to do a veggie meal! Maybe you can make some sort of veggie burger using egg as a binder and including nuts and some sort of non-gluten grain. Can you get buckwheat groats (kasha)? It's not a grain at all, botanically, I think.
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Clearly, a good green salad is in order, whatever else you serve, possibly topped with edible flowers, if available at all in November (nasturtiums may not be available, but lavender is available on the spice rack.)

and a glass of clear, clean water.

Maybe something barbecued, in memory of the forest fire?

Bambi doesn't seem to lend itself to a themed meal other than this themed church dinner that is served every year in Bradford, VT:

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/20...rds_got_g.html

Not overall appealing to eat while viewing Bambi.

Custom Title
    Grilled veggies can be wonderful, as the "barbecue." I love your idea of edible flowers!

In honor of Thumper, probably carrots would be a great idea. In honor of Flower the skunk, maybe a black and white dessert--chocolate and vanilla icing.

I wonder if tempeh is available in Toni's neck of the woods? It's very meaty and makes a yummy meat substitute. We can't suggest anything with pasta and cheese, alas, as that zaps both Toni and Mrs. Toni-Mom. Fake macaroni and fake cheese will taste like heated linoleum.

Haha love the heated linoleum comment...

This one is going to be a challenge. I suggested stuffed mushrooms but mom said no because she knows i wont eat them... lol

Custom Title
    How about omelets? They can be delicious as a main course with the right side dishes, and you can add different fillings for different people. Or something like crepes, which I suspect can be made with a gluten-free flour more tastily than something where the food actually has to bind together.

I know you did pasta last time, but what about spinach fettucini with pesto to look like grass, because it would all be green? After all, Bambi eats grass

You could have an "Edible Arrangements" fruit flowers centerpiece (bought or make your own).

Mom just said no to pesto... she's being difficult this time around lol

I've got a few ideas - http://pinterest.com/tonichelleak/di...-dinner-night/ - but nothing really "main dish"

Then a lime jello salad (or dessert)?

Or Green pie for dessert. Easy peasy, and tasty. One of my niece's request for every birthday. You can use store graham cracker crust and store whipped cream in the squirt bottle, but it's 10x better if you make it from scratch.

Aunt Nancy Spicer's Green Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

From Nabisco Sugar Honey Grahams, use one of the three packages
    of graham crackers in the box. Put all the crackers in a big ziplock
    bag, but don't seal. Roll a rolling pin over the bag until all the
    graham crackers are reduced to fine crumbs.

Pour the crumbs into a 9 inch pie pan.
    Add 1/2 stick of melted butter (4 Tbsp)
    Add 1/4 c. sugar

Pat into the pie pan.
    Bake at 375 F for 8 minutes and cool.

Filling

1 small package of lime Jello
    1 c liquid made from the juice from a 9 ounce can of pineapple and water
    or pineapple juice to make 1 cup .
    1 pint of vanilla ice cream
    crushed pineapple from 9 ounce can.

Bring to a boil a mixture of the lime Jello and the juice mixture.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla ice cream.
    Put this mixture in the refrigerator for one hour. Stir in the crushed
    pineapple. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust.
    Refrigerate two to three hours until firm.

Topping

1/2 pint heavy cream
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 c. sugar

Beat cream until stiff. Stir in the vanilla and sugar.
    Use to top green pie.

Sprinkle 1/4 c. of finely chopped walnuts over the top of the pie.

Note: Although I haven't ever made it, Nancy also made a Red Pie, which used
    strawberries instead of the pineapple, and strawberry jello instead of lime jello.
    I think if I did a red pie, it would be with raspberries and raspberry jello.
    I never did like the strawberry flavor in strawberry jello.

The walnut nut "meat"balls my Seventh Day Adventist landlord used to make were actually very tasty.

And there's Falafel, too, although maybe that would be better for Aladdin, when you get to it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast