Good recipe search | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Good recipe search

How about omelets? They can be delicious as a main course with the right side dishes, and you can add different fillings for different people. Or something like crepes, which I suspect can be made with a gluten-free flour more tastily than something where the food actually has to bind together.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I know you did pasta last time, but what about spinach fettucini with pesto to look like grass, because it would all be green? After all, Bambi eats grass :)

You could have an "Edible Arrangements" fruit flowers centerpiece (bought or make your own).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Then a lime jello salad (or dessert)?

Or Green pie for dessert. Easy peasy, and tasty. One of my niece's request for every birthday. You can use store graham cracker crust and store whipped cream in the squirt bottle, but it's 10x better if you make it from scratch.

Aunt Nancy Spicer's Green Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

From Nabisco Sugar Honey Grahams, use one of the three packages
of graham crackers in the box. Put all the crackers in a big ziplock
bag, but don't seal. Roll a rolling pin over the bag until all the
graham crackers are reduced to fine crumbs.

Pour the crumbs into a 9 inch pie pan.
Add 1/2 stick of melted butter (4 Tbsp)
Add 1/4 c. sugar

Pat into the pie pan.
Bake at 375 F for 8 minutes and cool.

Filling

1 small package of lime Jello
1 c liquid made from the juice from a 9 ounce can of pineapple and water
or pineapple juice to make 1 cup .
1 pint of vanilla ice cream
crushed pineapple from 9 ounce can.

Bring to a boil a mixture of the lime Jello and the juice mixture.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla ice cream.
Put this mixture in the refrigerator for one hour. Stir in the crushed
pineapple. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust.
Refrigerate two to three hours until firm.

Topping

1/2 pint heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. sugar

Beat cream until stiff. Stir in the vanilla and sugar.
Use to top green pie.

Sprinkle 1/4 c. of finely chopped walnuts over the top of the pie.

Note: Although I haven't ever made it, Nancy also made a Red Pie, which used
strawberries instead of the pineapple, and strawberry jello instead of lime jello.
I think if I did a red pie, it would be with raspberries and raspberry jello.
I never did like the strawberry flavor in strawberry jello.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The walnut nut "meat"balls my Seventh Day Adventist landlord used to make were actually very tasty.

And there's Falafel, too, although maybe that would be better for Aladdin, when you get to it?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
walnut meatballs?

yeah nothing too "exotic" as we will be getting into some more exotic themes later (I'm excited for Aladdin, Mulan, Hercules, and Lion King!)

Hold it--pineapples in jello? I always heard they kept jello from jelling. You can do that? How do you make it work?

I bet that's a gorgeous pie. There's something magical about jello with fruits in it. I once saw a recipe on TV where they put the still-liquid jello with fruits in clear stemmed glasses, and then they slanted the glasses while the jello solidified. Then when it was served, the jello in the cups was slanted.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm still having trouble coming up with a coheisive meal... mom has said no to the stuffed anything because she's afraid Duane won't eat it... and knows I most likely wont (I'm picky when it comes to texture). One she can handle not eating the meal, but not two :laugh:

Dad found a pasta dish, but I can't find sides that go with it and we're having pasta almost every week for a while if we don't get more creative.

Dad is also pushing to allow a chicken dish (phesants are killed towards the end of the film, and they're just wild chickens he says lol)...

I want to do something "woodsy" but not too similar to what we did for sides for Snow White... *sigh* HELP!

Wait...are we still in Bambi? I've managed to lose myself in Thanksgiving. I reiterate making some kind of veggie burger, including either beans, nuts, or tempeh as the base. Or all of them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Something or other I was watching the other day gave the random Disney trivia fact that the Bambi animals and forest scenes were based on :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi_(character)

The naturalistic animation in the first film was helped by a pair of four-month-old fawns sent to the studio by Maine game wardens. However, human models were also used for one scene: actress Jane Randolph and Ice Capades star Donna Atwood acted as live-action references for the scene where Bambi and Thumper are on ice.[2] Disney also had Rico LeBrun, a painter of animals, come to the studio to lecture on the structure and movement of animals. Nature photographer Maurice Day spent months in a forest in Maine, recording animals for the animators, as well.[3]

In honor of Maine blueberries, you could make blueberry pie! Also Maine has lots of wild cranberries.

Not to mention lobsters...

And you could do fresh water fish, in honor of ice fishing through that frozen pond that the animals slide on.

The main dish is a difficult choice, since eating what Bambi, Flower & Thumper eat is unappealing, and eating Bambi, Flower & Thumper seems highly inappropriate.

I did mention that I had had a tasty walnut meatballs served to me years ago. Mr. Ski ate them too, and liked them. I don't have a personal Walnut meatballs recipe, but here's one that got good reviews.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Walnut-Balls

The ones I had were served with spaghetti & sauce.

I'd use gluten free crackers instead of saltines., and use real cheese instead of fake lite cheese.

I would always make something this unfamiliar to me for dinner some days before I served it to guests...a dinner party is the wrong time to discover you suddenly don't like something that sounded good on line or in a magazine. (One good lesson about this when I was young has lasted me a lifetime ! ;) )

And remember that eggs can make a great dish. Hey, what about a veggie souffle of some kind? (That you WILL have to practice beforehand, because it's so tricky.)

But Toni can't do dairy, she said.

I love cheese too. Cheese soufflé is a heavenly dish to me. Not that I've ever successfully made one. Stouffers used to produce a frozen cheese soufflé that was divine; now they just do corn or spinach--both wonderful, but not at the level of cheese.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Im not supposed to have dairy but i cheat all the time and suffer later...

Dessert was going to be something "snowy" for the winter scene... Why is this all so hard???? Lol

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Baked Alaska then?
:clap:

Lemon Meringue Pie?

It's hard because the major characters eat grass and flowers and drink water from the pond, none of which lends itself to a dinner party.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Baked Alaska is coming later (Brother Bear takes place in just out of Ice Age Alaska/Canada, going to do baked Alaska for dessert and a salmon dish for main course).

Snow Cones are out as that's for Monster's Inc. (they are offered to Mike and Sulley by the Abomidable Snowman)

Friends on facebook are being pretty vague in the help department... mostly everyone just typed "put powdered sugar on something".

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, you could do homemade sundaes:
I've got good recipes for homemade fudge sauce & homemade butterscotch sauce.

Or a good recipe for lemon coconut cake (the white frosting with coconut on it is snow-y looking).

Or maybe Hershey's Snowghost Pie, which is a good recipe for chocolate cream pie. The whipped cream is the now, the chocolate filling the ground?

The story with it was that one piece was removed by the hired man, who claimed it was stolen by the Snow Ghost. It was an ad for Hershey's in a magazine years ago. I like the chocolate pudding recipe, so I still have it:

Hershey's Snow Ghost Chocolate Pie

1/2 c. Hershey's unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 c. milk
3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 baked 9 inch pie crust, cooled
1/2 pint of heavy cream, whipped stiff, and sweetened with 4 Tbsp. sugar
and 1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a medium saucepan, mix together the cocoa, salt, cornstarch, and sugar.

Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. This is easier if you use
a whisk.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils.
Boil and stir for one minute.

Remove from heat, and add the butter and vanilla.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie shell, and refrigerate for 6 to
8 hours. You can speed this up if you put the pie in the freezer for
about 1/2 hour, but check from time to time to be sure it does not
freeze.

When the pie is set, top with whipped cream.

Be sure to cover any leftover pie tightly and refrigerate it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oooo I could do that and make something like it for mom with no crust...

Toni, I think you might have to consider fish as a main dish for this one, unless you go with nutburgers or something. With your group dairy and gluten limitations, the protein substitute possibilities are kind of narrow. There aren't any talking fish in the story, so you're not doing anything icky to Bambi, Flower, or Thumper.

What about something with carrots, in honor of Thumper? You could maybe do some kind of carrot cake or other carrotty dessert. Or you could certainly do roasted carrots for the veggie.

The other thing you might do is something black and white, to reflect Flower. You can have black-and-white icing (chocolate and vanilla) on a cake or a cupcake. Or you could do some version of a checkerboard cake, which is a fun optical effect. Here's one method I found online.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Checkerboard-Cake

Last edited: