US TV Alert: Davis & White on Today Show Oct. 26 | Golden Skate

US TV Alert: Davis & White on Today Show Oct. 26

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
From facebook:

We are so excited to skate at the Rink at Rockefeller Center on the Today Show tomorrow a.m. as we kick off the 2012/2013 competitive figure skating season! We go on at 8:51 a.m. - hope to see you there!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Interesting tweet from Charlie White ‏@CharlieaWhite this morning:
@Meryl_Davis & I visit @SInow office in NYC. Thanks @BrianCaz for having us and showing us the amazing archive! http://yfrog.com/nw4rwdxj
5:33 AM - 26 Oct 12​

Wonder whether they were laying the groundwork for a future article in SI??? :cool:

BTW, their performance on Today was a version of Die Fledermaus. Unfortunately, the Rockefeller Center rink is quite small, so they could not show the program in its full glory.
But as usual, they were attractive ambassadors for ice dance, esp. Davis in her light blue dress. (She had her hair in a small high-ish bun without the usual Fledermaus ornamentation, so her 'do resembled Tessa Virtue's frequent look, LOL.)

In answer to a question from Natalie Morales in the brief pre-performance interview, White readily affirmed their goal of gold in Sochi. :)
(And Morales made a reference to their long winning streak. Not a big whoop, but if I heard correctly, she seemed misinformed that the streak still is alive and that their recent Skate America victory was the latest addition. :eek:hwell: I like Morales, but I have a feeling that she also did not realize that the streak included only two wins over Virtue/Moir. Two biggies, 2011 Worlds and 2011 GPF, but that was far less of a streak.)

ETA:
Sorry, I did not hear the live interview correctly this morning. Thanks to Mrs. P's post below, I have learned that Morales specified (accurately) a streak only of GP wins -- not of wins at all events, as I mistakenly believed. My apologies all around.​

Last edited:
Apparently, they skated to Die Fledermaus which is their best FD for me. I wonder if they'll bring this program back in olympic season. It is sooooooo good!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What time were Meryl and Charlie on? I watched Today from 10-11 ET and did not see them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They were on at 8:51 a.m. EST. Don't fret. They'll link up a video pretty soon, me thinks!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks Mrs. P. I sat and watched the whole show and I have a headache now, to early for me to deal with all of the chattering, lol.

Rats! No sound.

I'll check again later. I know it's not my computer because the commercial beforehand had sound. Rats!

But thanks for the link. I missed it this morning, and now I can at least look.

Sound works fine with me.

Die Fledermaus is always glorious to watch:love: Charlie is being really specific and (ambitiously) honest about their goals for this year's world title and OGM in Sochi. I don't think they've expressed their goals as specific as this before.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not a big whoop, but if I heard correctly, she seemed misinformed that the streak still is alive and that their recent Skate America victory was the latest addition. :eek:hwell: I like Morales, but I have a feeling that she also did not realize that the streak included only two wins over Virtue/Moir. Two biggies, 2011 Worlds and 2011 GPF, but that was far less of a streak.)

Morales said that D/W won 10 straight Grand Prix events since the 2010 season, which is true. They haven't lost a Grand Prix event since the 2008-2009 GPF. But yes, the actual winning streak, which started in 2010-2011 season, ended with two silvers at 4CC and Worlds this past spring.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oops, thanks for setting me straight, Mrs. P -- sorry that I misheard, and my apologies to Morales. When I saw the interview live, my faulty ears did not catch that she was talking about a streak only of Grand Prix wins.

I was confused because up until their 2012 Four Continents silver, media coverage of Davis/White often cited an ongoing streak of ten wins (I think it happened also to be ten?) -- not limited to GP. (Off the top of my head, the streak must have been three 2010 GP events + 2011 US Nationals/Four Continents/Worlds + three 2011 GP events + 2012 US Nationals.)

Last edited:
Sound works fine with me.

Die Fledermaus is always glorious to watch:love: Charlie is being really specific and (ambitiously) honest about their goals for this year's world title and OGM in Sochi. I don't think they've expressed their goals as specific as this before.

I tried again. and yippee! Sound. It was a lovely segment, and wow, that program holds up but good. I expect and hope that Meryl and Charlie will do equally wonderful or even better skating in the future, but there will never be a program like Fledermaus. The buoyancy and charm are perfect, and it works just as effectively in the rough-and-ready setting of an outdoor rink with iffy acoustics and a less-than-expert audience (which cheered anyway!). Completely magical, one for the ages.

I wonder how many young people got instant crushes on either Meryl or Charlie this morning.