Any tips for a skating newbie? | Golden Skate

Any tips for a skating newbie?

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Like how to stay up??? :eek: I'm going skating on Saturday for like the fourth time ever. Previous attempts have consisted of holding onto the boards and my brother to stay standing.

So any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jo

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Get thee to Learn to Skate! Seriously, now is the time that the new sessions of Learn to Skate are starting. They have group classes for all levels and all ages - you will progress faster (and feel more comfortable on the ice) if you have a coach helping you along. Both USFSA and ISI have learn to Skate programs, so your rink should have one.

Good luck and welcome to the ice!!!

childfreegirl

Final Flight
sk8er1964 said:
Get thee to Learn to Skate! Seriously, now is the time that the new sessions of Learn to Skate are starting. They have group classes for all levels and all ages - you will progress faster (and feel more comfortable on the ice) if you have a coach helping you along. Both USFSA and ISI have learn to Skate programs, so your rink should have one.

Good luck and welcome to the ice!!!

Thanks for the welcome! I *wish* I had that luxury (of lessons). My "rink" is an artificial ice surface that a local (And that's a relative term. It's actually over an hour from me.) arcade has put in - less than a third the size of an Olympic size surface, or so I'm told. It was just opened and when I called about it, the person I talked to said they were thinking about trying to find someone to give lessons, but they hadn't persued it yet. I'll sure be asking again though.

So I guess I'll have to teach myself. That's why I asked for tips.:(

Thanks though.

Edited to add that is the closest thing around here too. I'm in the middle of nowhere northwest Florida. The only real rinks are 2+ hours from me.:cry:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
OK, here's the standard way I assist with newbies with our coaches:

When you feel comfortable enought to let go of the boards:

Knees slightly bent, keep your head up.

This might sound silly, but position your arms in front of you as though two big old German Shepards were under each of your hands and you want to "pat" their heads. Seriously, our coach Jamey always says "Pat the ice" and that's a great way to remember proper arm position. Take small steps and march--literally, just try to take baby steps and move forward. Once you get the hang of this, you can try doing little "pushes" with each foot to try mini stroking. If you feel like you're losing your balance, sit into a crouch--"sit in an imaginary chair"--if you can't stay upright, just roll over onto one hip.

If you fall (or if you practice falling): Go into "doggy position" (hands and knees). Bring one knee up with the foot/skate flat on the ice. Use your hands either on the knee or on the ice to push yourself up. Don't be surprised if you can't do it right away, it may take time.

As for skates--rent a figure skate, and in general, you want something about a size smaller than your shoe size. It should fit tight and even be a bit uncomfortable, you should just be able to wiggle you toes. No ofher part of the foot should move in the boot.

Good luck!!! If you want, I'll describe "swizzles" if this intial stuff works for you.

Yaz

Last edited:

Lynn226

On the Ice
I've been thinking about taking skate lessons, too. What type of skates will I need? Are the recreational skates that I see on some skate selling websites sufficient or do I need something more substantial? I just don't want to make a big investment if I find that skating isn't for me.