Skate Canada 2012 Men's SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Men's SP

canskate

Spectator
Just wanted to thank you, thank you, thank you for posting these videos!!!!

I know the fights are already started, and I have to rewatch Oda to see how I feel about placements, but for the moment, placements aside and even scores, I really love, really really love, Chan's SP. He has to get that quad in, fix the axel of course...but for me, this is a lovely program. And yes, smart skater - the guy knows how to compete.

so true!!!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Oda's BV is about 6 points over Chan. PChiddy got 0.90 GOE for a girl's combo 3T-3T and even his last sloppy spin was +0.43, with two judges given +2. Stupid. Also, Chan didn't get a deduction for finishing late off music, while Menshov got it for the absolutely same stuff at SA.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's skate was mesmerizing. I had doubts about converting Elegie into a competitive program but Buttle did a good job.

So Skate Canada is the most corrupted GP? Do they always hire the same judges and tech panelists? Such insults to the international judges! So Chan didn't do his quad, avoiding a fall, which should help his PCS according to many persistent theory, but his PCS is way below his par.

For being so hated by Skate Canada, Oda has usually medalled in this event, and scored close to or higher than Patrick in the SP.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Just wanted to thank you, thank you, thank you for posting these videos!!!!

I know the fights are already started, and I have to rewatch Oda to see how I feel about placements, but for the moment, placements aside and even scores, I really love, really really love, Chan's SP. He has to get that quad in, fix the axel of course...but for me, this is a lovely program. And yes, smart skater - the guy knows how to compete.

ITA! Chan's SP is going to be a master piece, but he needs a jumping coach!!! Oda skated beautifully and I love all the top three! Performance wise I like Chan and Oda better than Javier.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
While analyzing Oda's scores, it's interesting to see that judge n.º1 only gave him 6.00 for transitions and 6.75 for execution, being out of line in those segments compared with the other judges.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Silver lining for Oda -- he got level four on everything! Yay for him. :)

skatinginbc

Medalist
even his last sloppy spin was +0.43, with two judges given +2. Stupid. Also, Chan didn't get a deduction for finishing late off music
Strangely he did the same in his practice, which leads me to believe that it was planned. But I agree with you, it doesn't look good. The choreography needs some modifications so that the final spin matches the music better and he can finish skating when the music stops.

emma

Record Breaker
Yes, I was just looking at that mikandorocks....

I just have to repeat myself and say I am so happy that Oda is back and I really like his SP - music, choreo, and even costume. It all fits and he transfixes me (is that a word - I was transfixed by him??!). I think I think that Javi's score is deserved and I am both happy for him and delighted with his program; but just on the personal gut reaction level, Oda and Chan had me "eating out of their hands."

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Lol at the Russian commentator: "We have a small front-pager here: Ptarick Chan is not leading at SC."

The second brouhaha- he didn't fall, I would add.

Art&Sport

Medalist
surprised ? I think not
Gachinski is such a lost cause , that sooner he will fall out of favor in his own Fed
I bet by next season Gachinski will be dumped for Kovtun

Gachinski never deserved to win bronze in 2011 -- he was over-hyped and over-scored, and in many ways was just as unpolished as he is today. The difference is he's lost consistency with tech skills. There are just too many guys who are better overall skaters. No way Gachinski should even be in front of Ross Miner with that skate. Ross lost a lot of points on the missed combo and got absolutely no help from the judges, whereas Amodio and Ten were over-scored. Elladj should be in front of Amodio and Ten.

Diz101

Spectator
Gachinski never deserved to win bronze in 2011 -- he was over-hyped and over-scored, and in many ways was just as unpolished as he is today. The difference is he's lost consistency with tech skills. There are just too many guys who are better overall skaters. No way Gachinski should even be in front of Ross Miner with that skate. Ross lost a lot of points on the missed combo and got absolutely no help from the judges, whereas Amodio and Ten were over-scored. Elladj should be in front of Amodio and Ten.

I agree. It's too bad the Grand Skate Canada Conspiracy of 2012 didn't work in Elladj's favour.

skatinginbc

Medalist
The second brouhaha- he didn't fall, I would add.
An improvement, isn't it? If he had fallen, I might not have enjoyed that program as much and might have complained he was overscored. Honestly, Patrick's artistry has improved so much. Don't you see it? The line, the mood conveyed by his whole body......

emma

Record Breaker
An improvement, isn't it? If he had fallen, I might not have enjoyed that program as much and might have complained he was overscored. Honestly, Patrick's artistry has improved so much. Don't you see it? The line, the mood conveyed by his whole body......

love this post!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I watched all the top three and I have to say, Oda definitely got dumped on a bit too much here. He definitely deserved better +GOE on his elements (besides the 3A). I think he should have been in first. I like Javier's program, but he made too many little errors relative to Oda. And he is not 2 points better than Oda in PCS.

PChiddy's SP is actually quite lovely and I think it will be great when he gets the tech. But yeah 82 for that execution is a bit high.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well at least he didn't fall?

Still it is crazy that he is ahead of an Oda who did a 4T-3T....

Oda had a fall out on the landing of his 3-axel, and he doesn't have Chan's SS either. Re Chan, I think back in the day (not too long ago), Chan would be in first place ahead of Javi with this same performance. What happened in Nice may have changed things a bit perhaps (i.e., brought Chan's scoring back to earth, when he has a less than stellar performance). If this continues to hold true, it could be called, "The Nice Effect." I do enjoy Chan's obvious improvement re musicality and interpretation, which wasn't too shabby to begin with. Good to see that he's paying more attention to that aspect of his skating. Obviously, the competition is still Chan's to win. Will be interesting to see if Javi can perform as well in the fp. I think Javi has great potential, but he's still developing consistency and presentation skills. Maybe training with Hanyu has had a great influence on Javi.

Again, Elladj wuzrobbed, and Miner was totally dumped on (it didn't help that Miner skated early and made a crucial mistake on his combo).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oda had a fall out on the landing of his 3-axel, and he doesn't have Chan's SS either. Re Chan, I think back in the day (not too long ago), Chan would be in first place ahead of Javi with this same performance. What happened in Nice may have changed things a bit perhaps (i.e., brought Chan's scoring back to earth, when he has a less than stellar performance). If this continues to hold true, it could be called, "The Nice Effect." I do enjoy Chan's obvious improvement re musicality and interpretation, which wasn't too shabby to begin with. Good to see that he's paying more attention to that aspect of his skating. Obviously, the competition is still Chan's to win. Will be interesting to see if Javi can perform as well in the fp. I think Javi has great potential, but he's still developing consistency and presentation skills. Maybe training with Hanyu has had a great influence on Javi.

Again, Elladj wuzrobbed, and Miner was totally dumped on (it didn't help that Miner skated early and made a crucial mistake on his combo).

I don't agree that Chan has that better skating skils than Oda. The boy's edges are DEEP!!! Oda got in the low 7s for the performance, which is pretty crazy....he should be getting high 7s at least!