Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Men's SP

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    "Quiet kind" -- really NOT sure what you are talking about re Oda. For me, he is not an expressive skater. A skater doesn't have to visibly have bubbly facial expressions and "obvious fire" in order to enchant an audience with their skating. JEREMY ABBOTT, for instance. Nuff said!

Oh well, I have a niece who lives and teaches in Japan. She loves it there. I just wish we had the kind of country here that loved and appreciated figure skating as much as the Japanese people do. Of the Japanese guys, my favorite is Dai, and I respect Kozuka, Hanyu and the upcoming Tatsuki, but all of them have the benefit of so much support from their country which enables them to have the best training and opportunities to develop their skating. Seriously, I think many of the U.S. men are just as, if not more talented than the Japanese guys, so I am pulling for Dai, but moreso for Jeremy, Johnny, Richard, Adam, Ross, et al. (which is understandable). Team Japan already swept SA, so I think the Japanese men will all do quite well this season, but only 3 of them can go to Worlds.

BTW, I don't think Hanyu has an "obvious fire" either. Hanyu is still maturing and developing as a skater. Dai is on a different plane than all of his countrymen.
    Look, I'm not usually an Oda fan, and I absolutely did not like his programs last season, but for some reason, this program was captivating -- so he's doing something right (for me anyway!).

I love my American boys too -- I was so sad that Miner got dumped on..he's such an unappreciated skater! He's my personal favorite. But I think Richard is going to do great too! Jeremy was fun to see live, though I like his FS better than his SP.

Custom Title
    I predicted Fernandez to win in the prediction game, and I really hope he does just for the explosion (and so I can get a good lead). Chan, peak in London (and Sochi), not Windsor!

Custom Title
    I'm no fan but I can see why Chan has higher pcs overall.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    The program wasn't that well skated. 82.57 is really kinda ridiculous. The haters will have a field day, and rightly so.
    What are you talking about?! I read your post first and was expecting much much worse program from him. But to my surprise, it was quite beautiful and captivating. If he could cut off a few spins in the end and fit the music better, this will be perfect artistic wise.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-26-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    Both Oda and Chan got 6.50 for the triple axel.
    Which is just wrong. Chan's 3Axel deserved -3 GOE. He stepped out and put both hands down on the ice. The rules say those two errors are each -2 GOE, which means even if you think this 3Axel deserved +1 GOE in other areas, it should still be given the maximum -3 deduction since those errors were the equivalent of -4 GOE.

Chan looks sick.
    His today skating & face reminded a little me of last year‘s TEB when Chan was sick.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I can't think of anyone who deserved bronze at all except gachinski

His quad ability just seems over! Not in any place in any competition since euros 2012! The rotational ability is still there but no landing ability! It's a real problem. If he's doing two quads in the free tomorrow he is very likely to fall twice at least

Everything non jump was level 4 which makes the no quad and jump problems more unfortunate.
    You mean in 2011, the bronze for Gachinski. Well, he landed his jumps and he was skating in Russia. I thought Alena L. deserved bronze at 2011 Worlds more than Gachinski.

Ugh that everything non-jump was level 4 for Gachinksi at SC. He's NOT all that presentation-wise. He could be, but he's simply not. I think Russian skaters sometimes get extra points for being Russian and from the famous Russian ballet tradition. Gachinski needs more ballet training, as well as more work on developing musicality and presentation skills.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-26-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Chan looks sick.
    His today skating & face reminded a little me of last year‘s TEB when Chan was sick.
    I noticed it, too. He looks sick, pale, and thinner than before :(
    I prefer the EX program than this SP. Little disappointed with step sequence, especially...
    Nevertheless, he was sublime and his skating skill was just amazing!!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    If he could cut off a few spins in the end and fit the music better, this will be perfect artistic wise.
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfyybQ4eb1qbz298.gif

Custom Title
    You are so funny, Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    I noticed it, too. He looks sick, pale, and thinner than before :(
    I prefer the EX program than this SP. Little disappointed with step sequence, especially...
    Nevertheless, he was sublime and his skating skill was just amazing!!
    wasn't that the worry for his skate at the JO?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    I agree Oda's skating skill was underscored, but his performance was rather forgettable. Let me put it this way: I have no desire to watch that footage twice--It bored me to death.
    I kind of feel the same way. When I watch Oda I don't feel a sense of purpose to his skating, like it's more "rehearsed" and less "felt". He does have deep edges but doesn't otherwise move in an interesting way.

Custom Title
    I keep my fingers crossed for Patrick and wish he’ll skate his LP marvelously and win!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Okay, maybe I jumped the gun by saying that Oda has better skating skills than Chan.....but Oda definitely has better skating skills than Javier. I love Javier, but seriously he's on a flat for much of that program...
    I agree. I think Oda’s PCS should be 39 and Fernandez 37. I don’t think Patrick is overscored, but Oda is underscored, especially compared to Fernandez. Oda has better skating skills than Fernandez, and if someone thinks Oda’s program is boring and expressionless, then Fernandez’ SP is eqully boring! I don’t see any reason why Fernandez’ PCS should be ahead of Oda’s here.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    BTW, I don't think Hanyu has an "obvious fire" either. Hanyu is still maturing and developing as a skater. Dai is on a different plane than all of his countrymen.
    I think Yuzru has very obvious fire and already has more versatile style than even Takahashi, and I appreciate how Yuzru can do this at such a young age. Yuzru’s SP and EX are even better than Jeremy’s and he has more fire. At 17, none of his contrymen could do what he can artistically (and technically).

Custom Title
    I am a Dai fan but I must admit that Chan's program is absolutely beautiful. Jeff made amazing choreography which made Chan blossom in terms of expressivness. Chan always had his outstanding edges and flow however last to seasons I couldn't underastand why he received such big scores for Interpretation and Performance/Execution, higher than Dai's scores who is a true artist and in those PCS should receive higher marks. Now, I must say that for the first time Chan skated "artistically" and he really seemed to feel his music. He made mistakes but nevertheless I think his PCS should be that high.

Custom Title
    MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 85.87 Short Program
    2. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 82.52 Short Program
    3. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 82.14 Short Program
    4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 75.26 Short Program
    5. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 74.61 Short Program
    6. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 72.46 Short Program
    7. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 69.74 Short Program
    8. Ross MINER (USA) - 69.41 Short Program
    9. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
    10. Liam FIRUS (CAN) - 60.50 Short Program