Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Short Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Short Dance

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I really enjoyed Anna and Luca's SD, I thought that they really shined. They were the highlight for me.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
V/M tech score 27.72 does meet minimum Tech Score (29) to qualify for Worlds.
... and I don't remember that PCS was ever 10 points higher than TES. It's like if in Men some guy with let's say 2A, 3T-2T combo and some 3S or 3Loop would win thanks to PCS over the guy with a quad combo, 3A and 3L or 3F :laugh:.
Both Canton teams are really disappointing after that notorious coach split up. T/V are slow and heavy, D/V is some acrobatic short track....

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 65.09 Short Dance
2. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 65.08 Short Dance
3. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA & Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 55.80 Short Dance
4. Madison HUBBELL & Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 54.84 Short Dance
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 53.71 Short Dance
6. Pernelle CARRON & Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 51.67
7. Julia ZLOBINA & Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 50.92
8. Kharis RALPH & Asher HILL (CAN) - 50.00

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tweet below suggests that Virtue/Moir are in good spirits this morning:

Ice-dance.com ‏@icedancecom
V&M laughing and bringing back some old choreo during first cut of H&D's FD music. Cute. :) #SCI12
6:49 AM - 27 Oct 12

And this one was interesting too:

Ice-dance.com ‏@icedancecom
FD Practice: Virtue in black dress with very deep (down to waist) V-neck, some grey layers in skirt.
6:43 AM - 27 Oct 12​

bladz123

Rinkside
I ENJOYED A FEW SHORT DANCES LAST NIGHT.Virtue and Moir's program is amazing and will be the very best short dance of the year. I watched davis and white last week and wasn't taken with it....I think every year Tessa and Scott get better abd better and thier team will look at all levels, bet that lift just goes away now! I enjoy Anna and Luca but thought thier polka was weak (a very unfair question to her in the press conference about being close to T&S, she handled it very well). I thought the Russians have shown improvements as well. Hubble will also get better as the season goes along. The french , nope nothing from me. I liked both of the other Canadians but want Paul and Piper to be smooth and not so choppy. They are strong, felt bad for Asher and Karis cuz I think they were a bit robbed, I like the program, but polka is weak

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
For some reason it seems as if Tessa and Scott should switch SD with Meryl and Charlie. I think both team's dances would better suit the other. funny.

i think both teams are worse for the wear without Igor. Very unfortunate that he should leave them before the olympics. I wonder if someone will make a coaching move after this season if technical levels are going to be in the balance.

I thought that the polka part of Virtue and Moir's short dance seemed sort of shoveled in. Like, oh well, the rules say we have to do a few steps of polka, so let's get it over with.

lionmilk

Rinkside
I thought that the polka part of Virtue and Moir's short dance seemed sort of shoveled in. Like, oh well, the rules say we have to do a few steps of polka, so let's get it over with.

ITA. Yes, it was beautiful and elegant and classic V/M....but too much waltz with a little 'polka' stuck in...i mean this could be their golden waltz SD from a couple seasons ago...and then the polka steps looked a little frantic like they were trying to keep pace with the music...was not smooth and light and it didnt match their level of skating in the rest of the routine....i know it will improve during the season and will ranked 1st or 2nd at the major competitions but i'm just not feeling this SD from a choreographic standpoint.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think it's telling that the only music announced on their bios is Anthony Hopkins waltz...I still don't know what the polka music was :laugh:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
beautiful and elegant and classic V/M....but too much waltz with a little 'polka' stuck in...i mean this could be their golden waltz SD from a couple seasons ago.

I agree. They were lovely but the polka section was jarring compared to how lyrical and romantic the rest was. Even the music during the polka wasn't very invigorating. I like their polka pattern though... it's so interesting see because each team does it so differently. It hardly seems compulsory. I'm a D/W fan to the fullest but V/M always trump on the compulsory patterns. I think they have a perfect height differential for dance and their leans and edges are always very smooth and together. I like Tessa's costume a lot but Scott's needs help!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I enjoy Anna and Luca but thought thier polka was weak (a very unfair question to her in the press conference about being close to T&S, she handled it very well).

What was unfair about the question? The tiny gap between the top two scores was newsworthy [understatement ;)], and asking for Cappellini/Lanotte's reaction was a valid question to me.

I like Tessa's costume a lot but Scott's needs help!

I loved the rich color and embellishments of Virtue's costume (although the reason for the contrasting skirt escapes me). And I thought Moir's costume was a perfectly handsome choice for waltzing.
Wonder if they'll wear the same ones for Cup of Russia.

all that

Final Flight
I think it's telling that the only music announced on their bios is Anthony Hopkins waltz...I still don't know what the polka music was :laugh:

I'm guessing the polka music was specially created for them to fit within the Hopkins music. I doubt it was an existing piece.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmmm ... given the expense, I wonder whether all that's guess re Virtue/Moir's polka music is correct. How much do you think an original composition plus a professional recording would cost? :think:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm guessing the polka music was specially created for them to fit within the Hopkins music. I doubt it was an existing piece.

In their post interview, Scott said they found the polka piece, so I am thinking it wasn't specially composed.

But what I was pointing out was that their bio was not properly filled out, something that is quite common, by the way, and many skaters/teams do it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not picking on Virtue/Moir either, but seems like a bad idea for the ISU and/or individual federations to be complacent when skaters do not provide complete information.

If for no other reason, don't royalties have to be paid when music is played during television broadcasts?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I know that the composer can refuse permission for their music to be used, because that happened to DomShabs at the Vancouver Olympics.

This year, most of the SD's are listed as Polka Waltz or Polka March Waltz.

They you hear they are skating to The Witch Doctor or Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

It can be a shock.