Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

tulosai

Record Breaker
ugh, the Canadians are worse than the Russians these days :(

Props to Liza for her 4th place, if she improves by next event she could make the final.

I give Liza a lot of credit too. She never gives up for a second, that I will say. Fights for everything, and gives her all. She is actually not my favorite of the Russians but she has my admiration.

Selene

On the Ice
The scores awarded to Chan, Osmond, and Virtue/Moir in this competition have all been laughable. There is no doubt that Akiko Suzuki deserved to win the Ladies event, but the judges gave it to Osmond with a totally indefensible PCS score. This result shows why most people don't take figure skating seriously as a sport. The results are based much more on politics than what the competitors actually do on the ice.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
I think Osmond is quite pleasant to watch and her jumps (when landed) are really nice, but if Akiko's PCS deserve 59ish, Kaetlyn doesn't deserve the same/similar 59+ amount right now IMO.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Suzuki made up that 3 points of that deficit in TES. Katelyn won on PCS, which I don't agree with.

I strongly disagree with it. It actually makes me wonder what the judges can be thinking. I disagree with skaters being held back in PCS just because they are new on the scene but to me to say she had better PCS than Suzuki is crazy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I strongly disagree with it. It actually makes me wonder what the judges can be thinking. I disagree with skaters being held back in PCS just because they are new on the scene but to me to say she had better PCS than Suzuki is crazy.

To clarify, she didn't win in PCS--but Akiko barely squeked by with the win in PCS.

When I say she won on PCS, she got a few extra points. Her PCS in Nebelhorn was 56. How did she suddenly improve by 3 points?!

Selene

On the Ice
The same totally fraudulent judging that allowed Kaetlyn Osmond to undeservedly win the Ladies event will no doubt be on display later on in the Ice Dance and Men's events, where Virtue/Moir and Chan will win regardless of how many mistakes they make. There is absolutely no justification for Kaetlyn Osmond's PCS score today, other than the fact that the judges wanted to award the win to the home skater. Akiko Suzuki was robbed.

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'm getting scared of Worlds >< They are in Canada and if Osmond is there....Oh, God. If she skates clean her pcs will be..very high

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Osmond's PCS jumped compared to Nebelhorn just as right enough to beat Akiko. What a shame that no one wants to take a GP event. Otherwise Skate Canada should be disqualified from hosting GP. No other event has so shameful results.

For Akiko it's a good lesson- she knew where she was going. There was no need to fail SP in Canada if there is a Canadian skater around.

raress

On the Ice
You got to be kidding almost 60 for Osmond...I so hate the canadians giving so high marks for their athletes...get ready because i think she'll be the next world champion considering that are hosted in Canada!Skate Canada has always been the competition where their owns skaters received even 10 points higher than they should..Anyway Liza was 10 times better than Osmond!Shame on them!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For some perspective, Christina Gao scored 117.62 at Skate America with a squeaky clean 6-triple program. Her PCS was 57.

So basically Skate Canada judges say that a 4-clean-triple Osmond is only 2 points worse than a 6-triple clean program from Gao?

Trewyn

Medalist
(watching delayed) OMG Osmond in FIRST??? I was just about to say 'Definitely excited about this new, bubbly skater but she's not quite there yet'. And then she BEATS a strong Akiko Suzuki??? (okay, Akiko still won the LP but still) Osmond tripped over her own feet getting off the ice; her SS are NOTHING compared to Akiko's. Plus she FELL. I haven't been this shocked by the results of a Ladies competition in a LONG time. Akiko was a bit tense tonight and that could have hurt her PCscores a little bit, but overall her ss, choreography, presentation *and* jumps were much stronger than Osmond.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Can someone please explain to me why people are claiming that the international judging panel at Skate Canada (which changes every year) is more corrupt than the international judging panels (which change every year) at any other event?

Selene

On the Ice
I'm getting scared of Worlds >< They are in Canada and if Osmond is there....Oh, God. If she skates clean her pcs will be..very high

She doesn't even have to skate clean. She made multiple mistakes today and still won the event over Suzuki, who was clean and has 100x better skating skills.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow the protocols are interesting...The tech panel gave Osmond edge calls on both her filp and her lutz....

But the PCS tells the tale -- She beat Akiko in interpretation, choreography, peformance? tied in transitions...This makes no sense.

volk

Final Flight
The same totally fraudulent judging that allowed Kaetlyn Osmond to undeservedly win the Ladies event will no doubt be on display later on in the Ice Dance and Men's events, where Virtue/Moir and Chan will win regardless of how many mistakes they make. There is absolutely no justification for Kaetlyn Osmond's PCS score today, other than the fact that the judges wanted to award the win to the home skater. Akiko Suzuki was robbed.

At best she should be 3rd. But they skated in Canada.