Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Funny, if the judges gave Osmond PCS scores in the FS matching what they gave her in the short, she would have been 2nd...

not suggesting anything, just food for thought.

____

And ETA: Still funny how so many still think criticism of judging = criticism of skater. I'm seeing solely the former.

Macassar88

Medalist
Funny, if the judges gave Osmond PCS scores in the FS matching what they gave her in the short, she would have been 2nd...

And she was actually clean in her SP

emma

Record Breaker
I've only watched Akiko, but just wanted to say that I really love her LP. Congrats to her for a great skate.

It's kind of sad to me how the scoring can take the fun out of all of this; after reading big portions of this thread, I didn't really feel like watching the programs at all. Glad I watched Akiko and will gather energy at some point to watch others. Thanks to all the video posters and video collectors who make it easier for us to find them!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

____

And ETA: Still funny how so many still think criticism of judging = criticism of skater. I'm seeing solely the former.

And further food for thought, which I posted in another thread:

Akiko Suzuki got PCS of 28.95 in the SP. If you double that amount you get 57.90 (as you typically get double your SP score if you perform the same as the SP). In the FS she got PCS of 59.82, a difference of 1.92 points from the doubled PCS in the SP.

Kaetlyn Osmond received PCS of 27.35 in the SP. A gap of 1.60 points from Suzuki. If you double that amount, you get 54.70. In the FS she received PCS of 59.61, a difference of 4.91 points from the doubled PCS. And the gap between her an Akiko is a mere .21.

So:
** How did the judges decide that Katelyn's FS was so much better that they cut her PCS gap with Akiko by 1.39 points overnight?
** Also, why did the judges think Katelyn's FS was so much better artistically that she received an average increase of nearly a full point more for all categories?

glam

On the Ice
Also, as another poster referred to earlier, her coach noted that they purposely choreographed this program in a more "junior" style so she could ease her way into seniors, which is not a bad plan by any means. But this program beat Suzuki's program in choreography, performance, and interpretation (all of which are the more subjective PCS categories), and I felt that Suzuki's program was more balanced, well choreographed with an interesting theme, and mature.

Osmond's program and the whole skating looked very junior style to me. I didn't know it was even made by purpose! It's quite humiliating for Suzuki to loose in those aspects for Osmond. Maybe Suzuki should take one of her junior programs back...

Not meant to pick on you, Mathman. Since many people here stated more or less the same thing over and over without explaining why it is so, can you or anyone else explain your reasoning briefly in plain English as to why this is the case?

I am not an expert in the choreography/musical interpretation side of things (nor in the tech, for that matter). But as a lay person it seemed to me beyond debate that Suzuki's performance had the greater artistic integrity. She maintained the theme throughout, both in the large and in detail; the matching of music to movement was a delight; and she interpreted an unusual piece of music with originality. (I also thought that her flow was smoother in the turns, Osmond appearing somewhat stiff-legged in comparison.)

In contrast, I found Osmond's interpretation of Carmen to be generic at best. (I liked her enthusiasm and pizzaz, though.)

I think this would help a great deal in reassuring that there is a legitimate reason for the vile comments towards the judging panel and serious accusations of conspiracy and corruptions; which I must say could be construed as blasphemy in many jurisdictions -

I think the issue of blasphemy could arise only in a religious court in an Islamic country, nowadays.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I've only watched Akiko, but just wanted to say that I really love her LP. Congrats to her for a great skate.

It's kind of sad to me how the scoring can take the fun out of all of this; after reading big portions of this thread, I didn't really feel like watching the programs at all. Glad I watched Akiko and will gather energy at some point to watch others. Thanks to all the video posters and video collectors who make it easier for us to find them!

I watched Kaetlyn and Akiko so far!

Akiko rocked it! She is so amazing and i love her. She was underscored in terms of the PCS scores. She deserved higher.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So:
** How did the judges decide that Katelyn's FS was so much better that they cut her PCS gap with Akiko by 1.39 points overnight?
** Also, why did the judges think Katelyn's FS was so much better artistically that she received an average increase of nearly a full point more for all categories?

I can answer , this is Skate Canada so Osmond was getting the benefit of the doubt :biggrin:
at least Akiko losing I had a good joke time today

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn's program was good, but Akiko's was great. I can't remember--was Akiko pretty far behind in the short? That is the only explanation I can find for her not winning.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just going by what I've seen on Universals Youtube Channel - I'm not overly incensed by the idea of the poduim. Murakami was *not* robbed, she skated with such a stone faced going through the motions that I was surprised to see her so HAPPY at the end... it was like she didn't want to be there while the music played.

Akiko definitely has the better choreography and should've won the the LP, but Osmond did a good job at presenting herself and she didn't crumble with her two mistakes. She's adorable and I hope she can keep up this momentum she's found. Good for her.

I'm not about to think there's a conspiracy based on this event. And Osmond is not the lady version of skaters who manipulate the system with their ability to rotate in the air before landing on their butt.

Did the judges have a secret meeting and agree unanimously about the PCS of Osmond's LP sometime between the SP and LP? I guess I must have paid them since I picked her to win. ;)

That is what has everyone so puzzled. No, I don't think that the judges got together and conspired to give the Canadian skater the win.

That I could understand.

What I can't understand is how the ISU judges could watch the two performances back to back and give the scores that they gave.

OH well. On to Cup of China. Go Chock and Bates!

icebeauty

On the Ice
and per usual the most unexpected/interesting results of season will come from Skate Canada...specifically the ladies competition.

Great to see Osmond continue to do well. Sad for Gracie. So happy for Akiko. and kudos to Caroline for skating her entire LP one position away from a wardrobe malfunction...apparently the strap on her dress snapped right after her program started...

canskate

Spectator
God, the sour grapes are more than annoying. Suzuki won the LP by about 5 points. She lost the gold because she had a sub-par SP with an egregiously undderotated triple/triple combo which the judges would have had to be blind not to see. So an up-and-coming youngster beat her with a spectacular short and a solid LP. The end. Congratulations to Kaetlyn Osmond.

I second this! But i do agree Akiko's pcs should be a bit higher. But huge congrats to Osmond.

I haven't seen any of the programs yet, though from the descriptions of the LPs, it sounds as if Osmond was overly rewarded. I am, however, glad (as an adopted Canadian fan) that there's a promising Canadian woman stepping up to the plate (to mix a sports metaphor). One certainly can't blame her for the way she is judged. Every skater's goal is to do his/her best to win, and this time Osmond reached her goal. As for Suzuki, I hope she evens things out and wins the GPFinal to compensate. And I hope that both she and Osmond glitter like jewels for the rest of the season.

On another aspect of this topic, Caroline is in ninth? Oh, rats. Several of you have said she is very slow. Has she backslid from last year? Rats.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Akiko definitely has the better choreography and should've won the the LP, but Osmond did a good job at presenting herself and she didn't crumble with her two mistakes. She's adorable and I hope she can keep up this momentum she's found. Good for her.

Akiko did win the LP.

chloepoco

Medalist
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 176.45 Free Skate
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 175.16 Free Skate
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 168.04 Free Skate
4. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 168.00 Free Skate
5. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 160.52 Free Skate
6. Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS) - 154.11 Free Skate
7. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 151.57 Free Skate
8. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 151.44
9. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 149.87
10. Polina SHELEPEN (RUS) - 124.29

Added Ksenia Makarova's free skate

Thanks!! Lovely Akiko--from her outfit to her performance!