Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
She does not need to be apologetic of her performance, certainly, but the problem is that she has been given inflated scores and basically has the false message that her artistry mark is equal to that of the reigning world bronze medalist.

She should feel good about her performance, yes! I would have been happy if she got on the podium -- she deserved that! But I hope her team can discern the scores for what they are.

I get the impression that they will. After her win in the N. Trophy there was an interview with her coach and he said they were sticking to the same game plan which doesn't include winning fancy titles. Her program is even set up like a junior trying to gain experience and consistency in the senior ranks. It's probably to her benefit that she doesn't have a second GP. Gives her some escape from the pressure and hype machine.

But I do get tired of all the griping. It happens after every event. Everyone has their personal favourites, don't see why it can't include the judges. I guess I just don't think this sport is very objective. Akiko won the free program by a nice margin as she should have. A cleaner SP and she would have won.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I get the impression that they will. After her win in the N. Trophy there was an interview with her coach and he said they were sticking to the same game plan which doesn't include winning fancy titles. Her program is even set up like a junior trying to gain experience and consistency in the senior ranks. It's probably to her benefit that she doesn't have a second GP. Gives her some escape from the pressure and hype machine.

But I do get tired of all the griping. It happens after every event. Everyone has their personal favourites, don't see why it can't include the judges. I guess I just don't think this sport is very objective. Akiko won the free program by a nice margin as she should have. A cleaner SP and she would have won.

That's why we don't get it though: if her program was set up like a junior on purpose (all jumps passes in first 8 elements), why did she receive higher marks on things like choreography, and to a lesser extent choreography and interpretation compared to Suzuki?

To BurntBREAD. :rofl:
;)

daphna

On the Ice
Liza Tuk surprised me in a good way. she had all the triples, and I'm sure she'll have a consistent 3-3 as the seaon progresses. her LP costume is one from last year and it's way too small in the chest area - this has GOT to be replaced.

MissCleo

On the Ice
Here are the individual component marks for Kaetyln and Akiko for the short and free.
SS TR PE CH IN
Kaetlyn SP 6.68 6.61 6.96 6.86 7.07
Kaetlyn FS 7.32 7.25 7.61 7.46 7.61

Akiko SP 7.32 7.07 7.21 7.29 7.29
Akiko FS 7.57 7.25 7.57 7.43 7.57

I have no clue of how to interpret this. The easiest is that the judges have no clue what to do. Kaetlyn's SP was much cleaner than the FP, usually by default that should mean her PCS for SP should have been higher than the FP. Perhaps, the judges lowballed her short because she was first and unknown. Why the dramatic increase in the component scores for the free is beyond me.

Akiko's program component scores make sense to me. the components for the free are only slightly higher than in the short because the short was not a disaster per se, and her free wasn't absolutely perfect. She essentially had 2 solid skates.

If Kaetlyn had received similar or even slightly worse component scores, she would have been second.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
OK, I was neutral before, but come on. This is chalk and cheese in the second mark components. :disagree:

This is what so annoys the eff out of me with the scoring here. Same with V/M's short dance: an AVERAGE PCS score of 9.32 per component for a program riddled with technical errors. And now Osmond is given what appear to be inflated PCS scores for a program where 1/3rd of her jumps were not performed well.

And no, it's not the skaters' fault, but come on!

Something stinks here (probably that cheese is rotting).

bluesky85

On the Ice
I agree that Katelyn's PCS was a bit too high for her actual performance and her TES and shouldn't have been so close to Akiko's.... I like both of their skating. They deserved good results. But I also recognize that the judges were biased towards Canadian skaters this time. And I feel that the same thing has happened many many many times in Japan, Russia, and possibly in the US, too, which makes me sad and disappointed at the sports. Figure skating is the most beautiful sports but it is also the sport that is affected by politics the most.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Oh then thats ok. Thats all you people do if your favourite dosnt winn. Attack the judges.

the question is why Osmond is better than Akiko in Pcs ?????, the little girl jumps ok, but her overall skating is not better, thats it, we are not blind.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Did the judges have a secret meeting and agree unanimously about the PCS of Osmond's LP sometime between the SP and LP? I guess I must have paid them since I picked her to win. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did the judges have a secret meeting and agree unanimously about the PCS of Osmond's LP sometime between the SP and LP? I guess I must have paid them since I picked her to win. ;)

Actually I was going to bring that up; but didn't want you to report me for personal attacks. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
SS TR PE CH IN

:eek: wow. what a difference. Something is definitely up... :think: was she THAT much better in the FS interpretation-wise than in the SP? (I don't think so)

I have to say it was close between her and Suzuki. I thought her FS score was somewhat higher than it should have been given the mistakes, and now I see why that is so. Good? Yes. Better than Suzuki? No.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Here are the individual component marks for Kaetyln and Akiko for the short and free.
SS TR PE CH IN

Akiko SP 7.32 7.07 7.21 7.29 7.29
Akiko FS 7.57 7.25 7.57 7.43 7.57

I have no clue of how to interpret this.
My interpretation is: At the SP, Kaetlyn is nobody (just one of the nameless competitors) to the eye of the judges. At the FP, she is somebody (one of the Gold medal contenders) with a higher placement than Akiko's.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Everyone should just stop bashing Osmond.

Why everyone things always that Asian skater are the best. Kaetlyn Osmond was the best today and deserved to win this competition. She is an inspiration compared to the other girls, watch the others girls, do you notice that skater of our generation are not enjoying what they do and don't attack their program. Kaetlyn Osmond is a real example of what a skater should be. She is herself on the ice, attack her program and make the connection to the audience. And, the most important thing, she enjoy skating!

Congratulation Kaetlyn, you make me a fan of your skating!!! :clap:

loren

Rinkside
My interpretation is: At the SP, Kaetlyn is nobody (just one of the nameless competitors) to the eye of the judges. At the FP, she is somebody (one of the Gold medal contenders) with a higher placement than Akiko's.

How can that justify that some of Kaetlyn's component mark is actually higher than that of almost flawless Suzuki?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually I was going to bring that up; but didn't want you to report me for personal attacks. ;)

I have never reported personal attacks. Simpler to use my internal Ignore button. It takes fortitude to be a Canadian fan on this board.

eta. I just remember reporting once for someone else. So correction here for my own truthfulness.

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
How can that justify that some of Kaetlyn's component mark is actually higher than that of almost flawless Suzuki?
Maybe some of the judges were not very experienced so that they were easily swayed by the reaction of the audience. Plus there was at least one judge that clearly gave out extreme scores to his/her favorites.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Everyone should just stop bashing Osmond.

Why everyone things always that Asian skater are the best. Kaetlyn Osmond was the best today and deserved to win this competition. She is an inspiration compared to the other girls, watch the others girls, do you notice that skater of our generation are not enjoying what they do and don't attack their program. Kaetlyn Osmond is a real example of what a skater should be. She is herself on the ice, attack her program and make the connection to the audience. And, the most important thing, she enjoy skating!

Congratulation Kaetlyn, you make me a fan of your skating!!! :clap:

Congrats Kaetlyn, but NO ONE is bashing her. She was not the best today, she placed 2nd in the LP. All the things you say are true, but even more so for Akiko. Is it bashing to compare the performance quality between Kaetlyn or Akiko, or bashing to compare the quality of her SP vs her LP?