Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

shine

Record Breaker
Osmond is not unique.Ordinary skater.Ordinary spins.Ordinary jumps. Maturity?We can argue about that - for me, she has a juniorish skating...Also she tends to fall in her programs, so they are not clean. How on Earth could anybody say that she is in 1 league with such talents as Gracie, Tuk and so on???? She is just lucky. That's all.
What exactly in your mind makes Tuk and Gracie so head and shoulders above Osmond? Let's be specific and analytic if you are going ot make such a claim.

And by the way Blades of Passion, I did not say Osmond has a masterpiece of a program, all I said is she has better choreography than Tuktamisheva.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What exactly in your mind makes Tuk and Gracie so head and shoulders above Osmond? Let's be specific and analytic if you are going ot make such a claim.

And by the way Blades of Passion, I did not say Osmond has a masterpiece of a program, all I said is she has better choreography than Tuktamisheva.

Jumping in here. I actually like Liza's choreography that Kaetlyn's based on watching both programs back to back. Liza does a better job in getting her jumps and non jumps elements to the nuances of the music. She also has made some mad improvements in ice coverage. So I'd say Liza was a bit underscored in PCS relative to Kaetlyn...

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I prefer Kaetlyn to Gracie. I'd give Gracie the edge on jumps (of course) and I'd say both ladies are about even in spins. Kaetlyn understands the music more and actually performs the choreography rather than regurgitates the movements, which is what Gracie does. Gracie isn't a natural performer but both Kaetlyn and Liza T are.

As for Kaetlyn in comparison to Liza T, I'd say they are about equal. Liza T's jumps are superior (she's a technician when it comes to jumps) but I think Kaetlyn's spins are much better than Liza T's. As far as performing the to the music and really getting into the performance and selling it, I think both ladies are even...that's my favorite thing about both of them: they perform their programs and bring life and energy to them. They never bore me when they're on the ice...Gracie bores me. I want to like Gracie, I swear I do, but I just don't see anything about her that excites me. She's a great jumper but she falls pretty flat to me everywhere else. Nothing else about her stands out to me.

On the other hand, that's why they hold competitions. So far Osmund has beaten Soynikova at Nebelhorn an both Tuktamysheva and Gold at Skate Canada. So far, so good.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Osmond is a very good skater and she has a good handle on her nerves. She skated well at Skate Canada, and given the mistakes of several of the other skaters, she deserved to be on the podium. But her PCS scores in both SP and FS were inflated. She did not skate a clean FS, yet her PCS scores were on a level with Akiko Suzuki, who skated a fast, clean and exciting FS. If Osmond got 7s, Akiko should have gotten 8s.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Osmond is a very good skater and she has a good handle on her nerves. She skated well at Skate Canada, and given the mistakes of several of the other skaters, she deserved to be on the podium. But her PCS scores in both SP and FS were inflated. She did not skate a clean FS, yet her PCS scores were on a level with Akiko Suzuki, who skated a fast, clean and exciting FS. If Osmond got 7s, Akiko should have gotten 8s.

Its just not fair for anyone other than a Canadian to skate in Canada. The judges wanted a gold sweep of candians....the pairs couldn't help them out but they almost got it. Virtue and Moir deserved second here as did Osmond (who I enjoyed watching).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

I know that's what you said...and I disagree.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Its just not fair for anyone other than a Canadian to skate in Canada. The judges wanted a gold sweep of candians....the pairs couldn't help them out but they almost got it. Virtue and Moir deserved second here as did Osmond (who I enjoyed watching).

I normally don't say too much (unless it was Sasha Cohen & Alexei) but I've got to agree with everthing you said. Actually I couldn't believe Osmond won.

Puchi

On the Ice
Osmond is a very good skater and she has a good handle on her nerves. She skated well at Skate Canada, and given the mistakes of several of the other skaters, she deserved to be on the podium. But her PCS scores in both SP and FS were inflated.

Do you think Osmond's PCS were inflated in the SP?

SS TR PE CH IN
6.68 6.61 6.96 6.86 7.07

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Do you think Osmond's PCS were inflated in the SP?

SS TR PE CH IN
6.68 6.61 6.96 6.86 7.07

I quite enjoyed her SP and thought it was choreographed and performed better than her LP. I did not think her PCS was overmarked in the SP but obviously I don't think she should have received substantially higher PCS for her LP, which was inferior to her SP.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mr. P watched both programs at the coffee shop tonight on YouTube. He was utterly confused when I told him who won on PCS. He kept going on about how much he loved Akiko's arms in the program, while he described Kaetlyn's program was "full of arm flailing."

Just one man's opinion.

ETA: Akiko did win the pcs, but rather he was puzzled they got nearly the same pcs scores.

It's interesting to hear a casual fan's take on this. Does his head explode when you tell him people can win competitions with 4 falls? :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's interesting to hear a casual fan's take on this. Does his head explode when you tell him people can win competitions with 4 falls? :)

Oh he hates that skaters win with falls. He has not been very impressed with Patrick Chan for this reason. He jokes that he transitions to the ice. I have explained the system to him, but he feels like it's flawed that a fall on a quad, for example gets more points then a perfectly good triple lutz.

I think at Skate America -- so thankful he was willing to go with me! -- in the men, he really liked Hanyu's SP and Kozuka's FS. He also liked Jeremy's FS, though he was saddened that he didn't do it to its full potential.

In the ladies, back to this thread, he liked Ashley and Christina's program. He felt Adelina deserved bronze for her jump mistakes, but agreed that she has a lot of great ice coverage and speed. He felt that Adelina's brain just needs to get used to the fact she has a more grown up body and not signal it to do the jumps like when she was younger.

Irishflip

On the Ice
Oh my God, Kanako Murakami was WONDERFUL. SHE should have won this event! That was the best performance of her career! She blossomed into that tango dance so naturally. The Bronze medal and only 4th in the LP??? LOL! It was by far the performance of the night. This program is more complex and interesting than Akiko's, although that one is nice, plus Kanako seem to have a bit more fluidity to whole thing today. Technically she was also ahead on the spins (the jumps and footwork were about even). INSANE judging.

Kanako was crazy good, I felt her PCS was the one that should have been that close to Akiko's with Akiko just about edging her out in that respect due to Kanako's telegraphing. I do think she is going to start getting recognised by the judges again...and me for that matter! I had honestly written her off after last season and her boring, empty programs which were technically lacking too. Good to see her coming back and not letting her jumping technique :disapp: get in her way again.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^Agreed. I just rewatched her LP and WOW. That program is wonderful! That's probably the best LP she's ever had and to perform it like that...incredible.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Blades, could you actually grade the top four LPs (in your mind)? Because I'm curious how exactly you had Murakami ahead of Suzuki in the long (though Murakami probably should've won the silver. I don't think I've ever seen her skate an LP that well).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
even after watching today's NBC broadcast I'm still not seeing Murakami as doing anything but going through the motions - I'm not seeing any connection to the music from her eyes/face... she is just blank up there... :scratch: the only time any emotion registered was after she was done.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
1. KANAKO MURAKAMI - 125.84

3Lz ... -2 GOE = 4.6
3Lo ... +1 GOE = 5.8
3F ... +1 GOE = 6.0
StSq3 ... +2 GOE = 4.3
LSp4 ... +2 GOE = 3.7
(halfway bonus for jumps starts here)
3Lo+2Lo ... +1 GOE = 8.29
3S+2T+2Lo ... 0 GOE = 8.03
3F+1A seq ... 0 GOE = 5.63
3T < ... +1 GOE = 3.89
FSSp4 ... +1 GOE = 3.5
ChSq ... +2 GOE = 3.4
CCoSp3 ... +1 GOE = 3.5 space space Technical Total - 60.64

Skating Skills ... 8.0
Transitions ... 8.25
Performance ... 8.25
Choreography ... 8.0
Interpretation ... 8.25 space space sp Program Components - 65.2

2. AKIKO SUZUKI - 122.39

3Lz+2T+2Lo ... 0 GOE = 9.1
2A+3T ... +1 GOE = 8.1
3F+1Lo ... 0 GOE = 5.8
FCSp4 ... -1 GOE = 2.9
StSq3 ... +2 GOE = 4.3
CCoSp3 ... +1 GOE = 3.5
3F ... 0 GOE = 5.83
3Lo ... 0 GOE = 5.61
3S ... -1 GOE = 3.92
2A ... +1 GOE = 4.13
ChSq ... +2 GOE = 3.4
FCCoSp3 ... 0 GOE = 3.0 space space Technical Total - 59.59

Skating Skills ... 8.25
Transitions ... 7.5
Performance ... 7.75
Choreography ... 7.75
Interpretation ... 8.0 space space spa Program Components - 62.8

3. ELIZAVETA TUKTAMYSHEVA - 113.73

3Lz+2T+1Lo ... +1 GOE = 8.5
3Lz < ... -3 GOE, -1 point fall = 1.1
3F ... 0 GOE = 5.3
LSp3 ... 0 GOE = 2.4
StSq3 ... +1 GOE = 3.8
2Axel+3T ... +2 GOE = 9.54
3S+2T ... +1 GOE = 6.75
FSSp4 ... 0 GOE = 3.0
3Lo ... 0 GOE = 5.61
ChSq ... +1 GOE = 2.7
2A ... -1 GOE = 3.13
CCoSp4 ... 0 GOE = 3.5 space space Technical Total - 55.33

Skating Skills ... 7.5
Transitions ... 7.25
Performance ... 7.0
Choreography ... 7.5
Interpretation ... 7.25 space space s Program Components - 58.4

4. KAETLYN OSMOND - 112.13

3F+2T ... +1 GOE = 7.3
3Lz ... -3 GOE, -1 point fall = 2.9
2A+3T ... +1 GOE = 8.1
CCoSp4 ... 0 GOE = 3.5
3S ... 0 GOE = 4.2
3F ... 0 GOE = 5.83
3T ... -2 GOE = 3.11
2A+2T+2T ... 0 GOE = 6.49
FCoSp4 ... 0 GOE = 3.5
StSq3 ... 0 GOE = 3.3
LSp4 ... +1 GOE = 3.2
ChSq ... +1 GOE = 2.7 space space s Technical Total - 54.13

Skating Skills ... 7.75
Transitions ... 7.75
Performance ... 7.25
Choreography ... 6.75
Interpretation ... 6.75 space space s Program Components - 58.0

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ PCS are over 8 for Kanako :laugh: ? She is really a lovely hard-working girl. But pardon, her SS are far to be refined, legs in camel spins are in the position of ^ an > accordingly, back is not proudly straight, it's more round-shouldered than straight, the feeling of music is really rather teen-ish, skating in general is very unpolished. And she is cheating on landings, I don't know why you keep saying that she is not when it's easy to see. Yes, she has imroved a lot compared to last year. But come one, the clock is ticking. I am afraid if she stays with her current coach, who is maybe goot at politiking but all the rest is not THAT super great, there won't be any radical changes for good in the future. I don't see her as the future queen Mao after Sochi when Asada likely retires. But the fandom Japan needs a new Queen!

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Kanako has the best female program I've seen so far this season. It's filled with transitions that actually feel cohesive and work with the music for the most part. She has good arm movements and her spin positions make more sense with the music than in most other CoP programs. I found Kanako to be quite fluid in this performance and her edges were very controlled, with a good amount of speed. I could also see her understanding the nuances of the music and her timing to the music was really great in places - look at how she ends that first step sequence! I also particularly enjoy the transition from the choreography step sequence to the final spin.