Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

Trewyn

Medalist
Just because a judge represents a certain country doesn't mean they're actually *from* that country. I don't know how it goes, but I can imagine someone represents a European country but might have been living in Canada for years? I'm truly just asking, I've just considered that the little 'flag' judges 'hide' behind doesn't tell the whole story. Kind of like with skaters, they might be representing countries but they might have been living their whole lives in a different country.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Don't really know. Have not watch the skates yet. Just try to understand why so many posts claim Canadian bias from an international judge panels.

Akiko Suzuki skated very well with a clean program, beautiful and mature choreo/intrepretation along with nice skating skills. Kaetlyn Osmond fell once, stepped out, did a pleasant program to Carmen but only landed 4 clean triples and didn't really interpret the music too well (good energy though), yet somehow managed to get almost the same PCS as Suzuki (one judge gave her 9.00 in PE, 8.75 in CH, and 9.25 IN; it was far from an iconic Carmen performance).

I actually dislike Osmond's program construction too. Her seven jumping passes come in her first eight elements, with a spin in the middle. That should be dinged on choreography, right?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
God, the sour grapes are more than annoying. Suzuki won the LP by about 5 points. She lost the gold because she had a sub-par SP with an egregiously undderotated triple/triple combo which the judges would have had to be blind not to see. So an up-and-coming youngster beat her with a spectacular short and a solid LP. The end. Congratulations to Kaetlyn Osmond.

Wasn't solid. PCS was a joke.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
God, the sour grapes are more than annoying. Suzuki won the LP by about 5 points. She lost the gold because she had a sub-par SP with an egregiously undderotated triple/triple combo which the judges would have had to be blind not to see. So an up-and-coming youngster beat her with a spectacular short and a solid LP. The end. Congratulations to Kaetlyn Osmond.

A lot of the posters here are not into wuzrobbing. So please be mindful that people might have thoughtful things to say on this matter and it's not just "sour grapes."

And I'm sorry, a program with 4 clean triples and two big errors is NOT a solid LP.

ETA: I say this with the thought that Osmond performed well enough to be on the podium. But she should be behind Murakami as well. I am still mystified by her phantom UR calls!

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight

I dont know about everyone else, but I think that most of the outrage is stemming from the fact the Osmond PCS were almost equal to Suzuki's. I know I am not blind to see that either Osmond was overscored or Suzuki was underscored.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Oh my, poor Akiko... she has a bad, bad history of being underscored, and now she got a bronze at worlds, and it still doesn't change. Where's the reputation judgeing when you need it?!

I really like Kaetlyn, so much attack and energy! I can see why she gets relativly high PCS for a new kid, and the silver would have been so deserved... but beating Akiko. Wow. That is simply wrong.

On the other side, I'm not agreeing with Kanako being robbed here... I might have even had Liza above her. I'm not suprised by those UR calls, and I think they aren't wrong. She just needs someone to work on her technique with, she could be so much fun to watch.

And Elene bombed, but if you look how she nearly always does that at the begining of the season, I think this wasn't even that bad for her... I love those programs, hopefully she will get better as the season progresses :)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Anyway, I had no problem with Osmond's high scores for her enthusiastic and entertaining short program. I haven't seen the LP yet. (Hard to believe that she matched Suzuki on presentation, choreo and interpretation, though.)

That's what I think, too. Ugh. I love that Osmond's performing so well, but at the end of the day I still want the sport to be judged fairly. I haven't seen the LPs but I know Suzuki, I know how great she can be, and I know the kind of scores Osmond's been getting in PCS, and unless she's really jumped up in this performance in PCS her scores don't make any sense.

If they're trying to prop up Katelyn I don't see how that's a good idea anyway. I can see they might want to get two spots back for the Olympics, but she's capable of doing that anyway. She hardly needs to be propped up ahead of world medalists. Let her be and let her work her way up there on her own. And how is she supposed to know what she genuinely needs to improve upon if her scores aren't telling her that?

Kissx3

Final Flight
I dont know about everyone else, but I think that most of the outrage is stemming from the fact the Osmond PCS were almost equal to Suzuki's. I know I am not blind to see that either Osmond was overscored or Suzuki was underscored.

Yeah that's all it is to me. Watching back the skates with the protocols I 100% understand why Osmond > everyone else here, but it's not cool that she beat Akiko. Yeah there was a 5.68 point gap in the SP, but comparatively Akiko did more than enough to take this.

beabstress

On the Ice
I haven't seen any of the ladies skate their long programs yet, but I do want to say one thing, based on some of the comments I've read about the scoring. Some of the comments seem to come dangerously close to attacking Kaetlyn Osmond herself for the scores that she received (and the scores that Akiko Suzuki did NOT receive). While it's fine to dislike the scores and the final result--and it's also okay to speculate about an unfair "home field" advantage--it's not cool to blame the skaters. I'm reminded of the *original* result of the 2002 Olympics competition in pairs, where some people were so upset that Sale and Pelletier came second that some rather unkind remarks were pointed in Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's direction. The skaters can't control the judging. The skaters can't be faulted for the outcome.

Even if Kaetlyn *shouldn't* have won the competition, maybe her win means that a fine young skater gains confidence--and that the Canadian ladies skating program starts going in the right direction (because it needs all the help it can get!).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Don't really know. Have not watch the skates yet. Just try to understand why so many posts claim Canadian bias from an international judge panels.

It's OK. They haven't watched the skates yet either, at least not a good video of them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Taking a break from the outrage, I did see Gracie's program on YouTube. Far, far, far from her best -- but again I don't think it was a meltdown. Actually, I think she actually worked on her non-jump elements over the summer. She got level 4 on all her spins--and they seemed improved and her packaging seems more refined here.

So yeah, too bad. But I think this is a good learning experience for her. I hope to see her blaze back in Russia.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I haven't seen any of the ladies skate their long programs yet, but I do want to say one thing, based on some of the comments I've read about the scoring. Some of the comments seem to come dangerously close to attacking Kaetlyn Osmond herself for the scores that she received (and the scores that Akiko Suzuki did NOT receive). While it's fine to dislike the scores and the final result--and it's also okay to speculate about an unfair "home field" advantage--it's not cool to blame the skaters. I'm reminded of the *original* result of the 2002 Olympics competition in pairs, where some people were so upset that Sale and Pelletier came second that some rather unkind remarks were pointed in Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's direction. The skaters can't control the judging. The skaters can't be faulted for the outcome.

Even if Kaetlyn *shouldn't* have won the competition, maybe her win means that a fine young skater gains confidence--and that the Canadian ladies skating program starts going in the right direction (because it needs all the help it can get!).

I certainly am not blaming Kaetlyn. In fact before I saw the scores, I thought "good debut, she should be proud of her effort here." And I don't think many of the other posters are blaming her either. I think some posters should be able to tell the difference between outrage at the judging and outrage at the skater. I think most of the posters I are keeping it kosher here. And if you feel someone is giving personal attacks, you can always report the post. :)

But that said, giving her too high of a PCS score for "confidence reasons" is a bit much to me. She deserved a medal here, no doubt, based on the strength of her SP. I would think that getting a medal would be enough of a confidence boost.

Last edited:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I have not watched the program yet myself but my God stop attacking this poor girl. The only thing she has control of is what she does out on the ice. Whether we agree with the judges or not leave this girl alone. I am disappointed how people are negative with every outcome. If you have issues start with the judging panel. They are the ones awarding the marks!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
It's OK. They haven't watched the skates yet either, at least not a good video of them.

I watched it on portuguese eurosport live and I have to say that the components scores were questioned by those commentators as well. Don't know about the british.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
SkateFiguring said:

Lol. As if you could know that.
But probably live on tv isn't counting either.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I watched it on portuguese eurosport live and I have to say that the components scores were questioned by those commentators as well. Don't know about the british.

The british commentators though she wouldn't beat Akiko either and you can hear the questioning tone in their voices when the scores came about.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I have not watched the program yet myself but my God stop attacking this poor girl. The only thing she has control of is what she does out on the ice. Whether we agree with the judges or not leave this girl alone. I am disappointed how people are negative with every outcome. If you have issues start with the judging panel. They are the ones awarding the marks!

1) Watch the programs.
2) We're not attacking the poor girl. We are attacking the judging panel.
3) Stop the knee-jerk "I'm a Canadian victim" mentality. Disgusting.

skatinginbc

Medalist
One judge gave her (Osmond) 8.75, 9.00 and 9.25.
Suzuki was given 8.50, 8.75 and 9.00, however. Strangely such extreme scores were given only to the two skaters in question. So it is not the case where a judge consistently gives a higher score to everyone. Apparently at least one of the judges needs to go back to the training camp.