Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Kanako has unique but very unpretty technics opening a jump. She really needs some works on posture and artistic aspect.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kanako also has a rampant UR problem. She got a UR and a downgrade in the SP and 3 URs in the FS.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kanako needs to fix her jump technique in a major way if she is to ever reach the top. She reminds me of Caroline Zhang minus the major speed issues. Her jumps are just as bad though.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her jumping ability is certainly better than Zhang's, whom has a weak 2Axel, no 3Sal, and no 3Toe (especially on the back end of a combination like Kanako does so consistently). Zhang has better 3Flip technique now but she still isn't able to do it with any shorter of a preparation than Kanako, so that's only a very minor area of superiority.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Our commentator was enthusiastic about Osmond´s choreography and performance both in sp and fs, and I definetely agreed. Tuktamysheva has beautiful jumps, but her musical interpretation is still rather lacking and the same applies to the choreography, in my opinion. Her transitions score was a huge gift...

Last edited:
Country
Russia
The funniest part was people actually thought Gracie would medal or even win, omg lol.
Best that has Gracie - jumps. If her jumps are good - they are the core of program to add all other. If jumps are not good - she is very ordinary skater, not world level.

Ashley, Alissa, Kanako, Akiko, Carolina have very good non-jumping performance, making them world-level skaters with not so high jumping level. Gracie is based on jumps.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best that has Gracie - jumps. If her jumps are good - they are the core of program to add all other. If jumps are not good - she is very ordinary skater, not world level.

Ashley, Alissa, Kanako, Akiko, Carolina have very good non-jumping performance, making them world-level skaters with not so high jumping level. Gracie is based on jumps.
All those skaters you mentioned when they don't land their jumps don't get on the podium either. Allissa and Carolina for instance have had horrible finishes when they bomb regardless of their skating skills. Any skater who struggles with their jumps like Gracie did would not had medaled at SC either.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
The gloating over Gracie not finishing as high as some predicted is unbecoming. If you guys think Gracie is overrated, let the results over the next few years speak for themselves. Just as it was too early last week to predict she is the next coming of Michelle Kwan, it is too early today to say she is a complete failure. She has quite a bit of promise, no more, no less. I'm excited to see how she develops. And I hope this immature dispute over who was right and who was wrong about her doesn't turn her into a headcase.

emdee

Final Flight
The gloating over Gracie not finishing as high as some predicted is unbecoming. If you guys think Gracie is overrated, let the results over the next few years speak for themselves. Just as it was too early last week to predict she is the next coming of Michelle Kwan, it is too early today to say she is a complete failure. She has quite a bit of promise, no more, no less. I'm excited to see how she develops. And I hope this immature dispute over who was right and who was wrong about her doesn't turn her into a headcase.

Totally Agree.
Like Gracie, Kaetlyn is a work in progress. Only time will tell whether they are great or fall by the wayside. Growth and injury are important factors along with nerves. The difference between these two and say Alissa is that Alissa beautiful spins and flow stand out even when her jumps are not there.

taikwan

On the Ice
Where can I write to have any effect on how AWFUL Tara Lipinski is at commentating? She's not even technically there. She can't make live calls on jumps that vary from the script/intentions. And everything is so unoriginal.. She does not have an original thought. Good grief... no one is at home during the Ladies' competition. Michael Weiss is actually surprisingly good but Tara is - well - has there been anyone worse? What really bothers me is this is on NBC which of course has the Olympics cornered. By now Dick and Peggy's contracts with ABC/ESPN must have run their course so why not hire the best?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I actually used to like Lipinski's commentating. She used to be very informative and knowledgeable. But for some reason, she has become much more generic/bland recently. Not sure if it's the NBC honchos telling her to "dumb it down" or something, they may be the ones to blame...

taikwan

On the Ice
Nope - I think it's her. She remains silent if a skater does something unintended, like she can't recognize the substitution. She certainly doesn't have the local color commentating skills either. And of course she has to talk about herself too much.

Irishflip

On the Ice

Ok I didn't like Gracie at all last year, I thought that anyone who could see her winning a world title was crazy. But this year if you watch her other competitions and her practice at Skate Canada you can see large improvements in spin positions and her performance skills. I actually think her short has very good choreography which she does need to perform to more, rather then thinking about the movements. But this year I can see what could be a world champion in the future. Of course she's only 17 and anything could happen so we shall see.....