Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST) | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

Kissx3

Final Flight
I watched it on portuguese eurosport live and I have to say that the components scores were questioned by those commentators as well. Don't know about the british.

They were surprised too. Not like "***?!?!?!" but more like "that was unexpected". For the record, they were overall extremely impressed by Kaetlyn's debut (one of them gushed about her a couple of times lol), just not that impressed :).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have not watched the program yet myself but my God stop attacking this poor girl. The only thing she has control of is what she does out on the ice. Whether we agree with the judges or not leave this girl alone. I am disappointed how people are negative with every outcome. If you have issues start with the judging panel. They are the ones awarding the marks!

Again, I think most of the posters are NOT attacking Kaetlyn. I think it's reasonable to say that she should have not received that high of a score for a program that had two major errors. Nobody is saying she's a bad skater or that she's a terrible person.

And I think people ARE questioning the judging panel.

ETA: Again, I point to the fact her score was only two points lower than Christina Gao, who skated a squeaky clean 6-triple program at Skate America. I say this with the knowledge that it's hard to compare scores across competitions, but I think it's worth pointing out that Gao was also skating at home and did not get any extra PCS.

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Liza's debut win was not because of sky high pcs.Skaters have to deserve it. If I'm not mistaken, no junior won senior event by pcs before Osmond

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
1) Watch the programs.
2) We're not attacking the poor girl. We are attacking the judging panel.
3) Stop the knee-jerk "I'm a Canadian victim" mentality. Disgusting.

Hey listen. I wanted Akiko to win! I LOVE her. I am all for fair judging and I will be the first to complain if it is not fair. Just because I am Canadian doesn't mean that I agree with the judging panel. I am just saying that some posters seem to be attacking Osmond. This girl has some potential. Should she have Won this event? I don't know.....it hasn't come on my local channel yet. Just don't attack. It is not her fault!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey listen. I wanted Akiko to win! I LOVE her. I am all for fair judging and I will be the first to complain if it is not fair. Just because I am Canadian doesn't mean that I agree with the judging panel. I am just saying that some posters seem to be attacking Osmond. This girl has some potential. Should she have Won this event? I don't know.....it hasn't come on my local channel yet. Just don't attack. It is not her fault!

But if you actually read the posts, most of the posters ARE NOT attacking Kaetlyn, but questioning the judging. And also you said that you haven't seen the programs. Many of the posters who are expressing their objections HAVE seen the program. They are not just criticizing for the fun of it!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
But that said, giving her too high of a PCS score for "confidence reasons" is a bit much to me. She deserved a medal here, no doubt, based on the strength of her SP. I would think that getting a medal would be enough of a confidence boost.

Agreed. I also doubt it would have been much of a "confidence boost" to have legitimate reason to suspect you were propped up by the judges. And I know it won't be much of a "confidence boost" if she sees her PCS suddenly and inexplicably drop from here at later competitions.

A well-deserved silver, however, would have been plenty good for her confidence, and it would have given her a better idea of where she actually stands in the world. I don't see how this is even good for her.

beabstress

On the Ice
I certainly am not blaming Kaetlyn. In fact before I saw the scores, I thought "good debut, she should be proud of her effort here." And I don't think many of the other posters are blaming her either. I think some posters should be able to tell the difference between outrage at the judging and outrage at the skater. I think most of the posters I are keeping it kosher here. And if you feel someone is giving personal attacks, you can always report the post. :)

But that said, giving her too high of a PCS score for "confidence reasons" is a bit much to me. She deserved a medal here, no doubt, based on the strength of her SP. I would think that getting a medal would be enough of a confidence boost.

I wasn't singling out your posts; not at all. And I don't think anyone has said anything that needs to be reported. I simply saw *some* (and I emphasize SOME--a small number, as a matter of fact) of the comments heading in a negative direction. That's all.

I also want to be clear that I NEVER suggested that Kaetlyn was given artificially high PCS scores by the judges for, as you called it, "confidence reasons." The judges may have done exactly that--but I did NOT suggest that they did. I merely suggested that--after the fact--Kaetlyn can look at those scores and feel good about herself. Whether or not anyone feels that she *deserved* to win, she DID win, and I don't think she needs to be apologetic about that.

Mao88

Record Breaker
All I am going to say is that that result was highly discreditable and that the ISU should carry out a full enquiry. Akiko Suzuki was robbed. Osmond should have finished behind both Kanako and Liza in the free skate and had she been scored objectively, would have been struggling to make the podium. Furthermore, Akiko, Kanako, and Liza were all undermarked.

Many more competitions like that, which smack of a political fix, and what credibility the sport still has left will be completely lost.

Kalina

On the Ice
I dont know about everyone else, but I think that most of the outrage is stemming from the fact the Osmond PCS were almost equal to Suzuki's. I know I am not blind to see that either Osmond was overscored or Suzuki was underscored.

Exactly.

burntBREAD

Medalist

Um..who exactly is attacking her?

bellafurr

On the Ice
This is the most disgusting skating board around. Its the mentality of the people on this board that is the question.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
But if you actually read the posts, most of the posters ARE NOT attacking Kaetlyn, but questioning the judging.

Yes, most but not all. The judging panel definitely needs to be looked at. I just want to see good skating and fair judging. I think these people are the problem allot of the time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wasn't singling out your posts; not at all. And I don't think anyone has said anything that needs to be reported. I simply saw *some* (and I emphasize SOME--a small number, as a matter of fact) of the comments heading in a negative direction. That's all.

I also want to be clear that I NEVER suggested that Kaetlyn was given artificially high PCS scores by the judges for, as you called it, "confidence reasons." The judges may have done exactly that--but I did NOT suggest that they did. I merely suggested that--after the fact--Kaetlyn can look at those scores and feel good about herself. Whether or not anyone feels that she *deserved* to win, she DID win, and I don't think she needs to be apologetic about that.

She does not need to be apologetic of her performance, certainly, but the problem is that she has been given inflated scores and basically has the false message that her artistry mark is equal to that of the reigning world bronze medalist.

She should feel good about her performance, yes! I would have been happy if she got on the podium -- she deserved that! But I hope her team can discern the scores for what they are.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
It would be helpful of those who think skaters are being personally "attacked" would point out the actual posts that they find offensive. 'Cause all I see are complaints about judging. I certainly don't agree with all of them (I don't agree at all that Osmond's second place SP wasn't deserved, or that she would have been "way below" Liza) but that doesn't make them personal attacks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It would be helpful of those who think skaters are being personally "attacked" would point out the actual posts that they find offensive. 'Cause all I see are complaints about judging. I certainly don't agree with all of them (I don't agree at all that Osmond's second place SP wasn't deserved, or that she would have been "way below" Liza) but that doesn't make them personal attacks.

Better yet, please, please report the posts! Personal attacks are against the forum guidelines. But please don't put that broad brushstroke on everyone!

burntBREAD

Medalist
I actually also question Akiko's PCS (too low in my opinion). At Skate America, Ashley Wagner skated a far more mainstream program (Samson and Delilah is extremely common, particularly the Bacchanale), and her skating skills and transitions aren't as good as Akiko's. I know she also got some help by being US champ, but why is Akiko's PCS so frequently below 60? She is strong in literally every aspect that PCS asks for.