Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    Hey people give Kaetlyn Osmond a chance....Because she is a new and upcoming skater and not as well know as Akiko Suzuki does not mean that she was GIVEN the scores that she received....That's why we have judges to judge the skaters. It seems that Suzuki is a favourite...I think that no matter who won today, some people would be crying foul. Congratulations to Kaetlyn and the way for her to prove herself is for her to knock the socks of the other skaters in the next competition. You go girl.
    No actually, if Osmond had skated a clean program nobody would have been 'crying foul', considering that she had a good lead during the SP.
    I'm sure you're happy about her, but this kind of overscoring doesn't help the sport and probably won't even help her in the long run. That PCS score for a free skate that besides being juniorish, wasn't even completely clean and that great on the technical side is totally unjustified. And I can't believe there's people that actually say otherwise.
    That doesn't mean that it wasn't a great debut, and that she didn't deserve to be on the podium, but this is too much.

Custom Title
    What are Julie, Ashley and Liza going to do?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    OK, Adelina is much better than Gracie based on results.
    I think what he meant was that both Adelina and Gracie are the same as they suffer from nerve issues

Custom Title
    Prorcol

Tough Tech Panel.

Custom Title
    LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 176.45 Free Skate
    2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 175.16 Free Skate
    3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 168.04 Free Skate
    4. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 168.00 Free Skate
    5. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 160.52 Free Skate
    6. Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS) - 154.11 Free Skate
    7. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 151.57 Free Skate
    8. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 151.44
    9. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 149.87
    10. Polina SHELEPEN (RUS) - 124.29

Added Ksenia Makarova's free skate

Down With It
    Funny, if the judges gave Osmond PCS scores in the FS matching what they gave her in the short, she would have been 2nd...

not suggesting anything, just food for thought.

____

And ETA: Still funny how so many still think criticism of judging = criticism of skater. I'm seeing solely the former.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Funny, if the judges gave Osmond PCS scores in the FS matching what they gave her in the short, she would have been 2nd...

And she was actually clean in her SP

Custom Title
    I've only watched Akiko, but just wanted to say that I really love her LP. Congrats to her for a great skate.

It's kind of sad to me how the scoring can take the fun out of all of this; after reading big portions of this thread, I didn't really feel like watching the programs at all. Glad I watched Akiko and will gather energy at some point to watch others. Thanks to all the video posters and video collectors who make it easier for us to find them!

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post

____

And ETA: Still funny how so many still think criticism of judging = criticism of skater. I'm seeing solely the former.
    And further food for thought, which I posted in another thread:

Akiko Suzuki got PCS of 28.95 in the SP. If you double that amount you get 57.90 (as you typically get double your SP score if you perform the same as the SP). In the FS she got PCS of 59.82, a difference of 1.92 points from the doubled PCS in the SP.

Kaetlyn Osmond received PCS of 27.35 in the SP. A gap of 1.60 points from Suzuki. If you double that amount, you get 54.70. In the FS she received PCS of 59.61, a difference of 4.91 points from the doubled PCS. And the gap between her an Akiko is a mere .21.

So:
    ** How did the judges decide that Katelyn's FS was so much better that they cut her PCS gap with Akiko by 1.39 points overnight?
    ** Also, why did the judges think Katelyn's FS was so much better artistically that she received an average increase of nearly a full point more for all categories?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Also, as another poster referred to earlier, her coach noted that they purposely choreographed this program in a more "junior" style so she could ease her way into seniors, which is not a bad plan by any means. But this program beat Suzuki's program in choreography, performance, and interpretation (all of which are the more subjective PCS categories), and I felt that Suzuki's program was more balanced, well choreographed with an interesting theme, and mature.
    Osmond's program and the whole skating looked very junior style to me. I didn't know it was even made by purpose! It's quite humiliating for Suzuki to loose in those aspects for Osmond. Maybe Suzuki should take one of her junior programs back...

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Not meant to pick on you, Mathman. Since many people here stated more or less the same thing over and over without explaining why it is so, can you or anyone else explain your reasoning briefly in plain English as to why this is the case?
    I am not an expert in the choreography/musical interpretation side of things (nor in the tech, for that matter). But as a lay person it seemed to me beyond debate that Suzuki's performance had the greater artistic integrity. She maintained the theme throughout, both in the large and in detail; the matching of music to movement was a delight; and she interpreted an unusual piece of music with originality. (I also thought that her flow was smoother in the turns, Osmond appearing somewhat stiff-legged in comparison.)

In contrast, I found Osmond's interpretation of Carmen to be generic at best. (I liked her enthusiasm and pizzaz, though.)

I think this would help a great deal in reassuring that there is a legitimate reason for the vile comments towards the judging panel and serious accusations of conspiracy and corruptions; which I must say could be construed as blasphemy in many jurisdictions -
    I think the issue of blasphemy could arise only in a religious court in an Islamic country, nowadays.
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I've only watched Akiko, but just wanted to say that I really love her LP. Congrats to her for a great skate.

It's kind of sad to me how the scoring can take the fun out of all of this; after reading big portions of this thread, I didn't really feel like watching the programs at all. Glad I watched Akiko and will gather energy at some point to watch others. Thanks to all the video posters and video collectors who make it easier for us to find them!
    I watched Kaetlyn and Akiko so far!

Akiko rocked it! She is so amazing and i love her. She was underscored in terms of the PCS scores. She deserved higher.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

So:
    ** How did the judges decide that Katelyn's FS was so much better that they cut her PCS gap with Akiko by 1.39 points overnight?
    ** Also, why did the judges think Katelyn's FS was so much better artistically that she received an average increase of nearly a full point more for all categories?
    I can answer , this is Skate Canada so Osmond was getting the benefit of the doubt
    at least Akiko losing I had a good joke time today

Custom Title
    Kaetlyn's program was good, but Akiko's was great. I can't remember--was Akiko pretty far behind in the short? That is the only explanation I can find for her not winning.

Just going by what I've seen on Universals Youtube Channel - I'm not overly incensed by the idea of the poduim. Murakami was *not* robbed, she skated with such a stone faced going through the motions that I was surprised to see her so HAPPY at the end... it was like she didn't want to be there while the music played.

Akiko definitely has the better choreography and should've won the the LP, but Osmond did a good job at presenting herself and she didn't crumble with her two mistakes. She's adorable and I hope she can keep up this momentum she's found. Good for her.

I'm not about to think there's a conspiracy based on this event. And Osmond is not the lady version of skaters who manipulate the system with their ability to rotate in the air before landing on their butt.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast