Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 356

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Long Program (7:45 AM PST/10:45 AM EST)

  1. #316
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Yes, she is. Osmond skates with more speed and ice coverage; has better posture, lines and extension. She also has better programs, choreogrpahy, musicality and maturity. Her jumps are also just as good. Those are what account for whether a skater is good or not, not how many medals one has. How many medals one has is not what's causing a skater to be good, it's the result of a skater being good. Not having as many medals doesn't necessarily mean you are any less of a skater. We all know winning medals takes a certain combination of skills, mental toughness, luck, and timing. And besides, even if Tuktamysheva WAS the better skater in the past, doesn't mean she still is NOW.
    Osmond is not unique.Ordinary skater.Ordinary spins.Ordinary jumps. Maturity?We can argue about that - for me, she has a juniorish skating...Also she tends to fall in her programs, so they are not clean. How on Earth could anybody say that she is in 1 league with such talents as Gracie, Tuk and so on???? She is just lucky. That's all.

  2. #317
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    YHer jumps are also just as good.
    They are not. She recieved and edge call to both her 3Lz and 3F. So no, the jumps are not just as good.

  3. #318
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    989
    I was totally expecting to see Kaetlyn having a great clean fp when I saw that she'd won, and headlines were saying she "stole the show." Well, the headlines were wrong. More like, the judges helped her "steal" the gold. And I am not blaming Kaetlyn or tearing her down. I thought she was wonderful in the sp and I saw nothing wrong with her 2nd place finish there. She has a lot of spunk and confidence, and she did perform well in the fp aside from her couple of mistakes. But she was over-scored on PCS in comparison to Akiko. I also feel that Akiko and Kanako were kept down a bit more than they should have been in the sp. Agree with the person above who felt Kanako performed beautifully in both sp and fp. Certainly, Kanako should have at least placed third in the fp. And I feel with Kaetlyn's errors in the fp (and especially the fact that the Carmen music is not really well interpreted by her) that she should have at most won silver, and arguably bronze.

    At SA, Christina Gao was very much underscored in the sp. Gao ended up with a total of 174+ overall, which is behind what Kaetlyn scored at SC. Gao skated two beautiful mature programs and if she had skated those programs at SC, Gao clearly should have had scores higher than Kaetlyn. Even at SA, Gao's marks should have been closer to Ashley's. I think this demonstrates the politics that goes into the scoring. Gao was kept down in the sp because she didn't have a lot of rep with the judges, but with her equally stellar performance in the fp (coupled with Sotnikova's mistakes), the judges could not deny Gao second place. Ashley had to perform a clean fp to beat Gao, and she did. I do think the judges were kind to Ashley in the sp where she had a slight two foot on one jump, but her 60+ score was not unreasonable. Gao definitely should not have been as far behind in the sp because she landed a 3/3 in the sp, unlike Ashley. Obviously, Gao and Wagner are both from the U.S., but Sotnikova and Alena were favored to perform better than Gao.

    It is difficult for this sport to gain wide appeal with inconsistencies in the judging that are so obvious. Of course, this is nothing new for figure skating. At least now, they seem to have stopped giving Chan gifts when he makes mistakes.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-28-2012 at 02:49 AM.

  4. #319
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,983
    Mr. P watched both programs at the coffee shop tonight on YouTube. He was utterly confused when I told him who won on PCS. He kept going on about how much he loved Akiko's arms in the program, while he described Kaetlyn's program was "full of arm flailing."

    Just one man's opinion.

    ETA: Akiko did win the pcs, but rather he was puzzled they got nearly the same pcs scores.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.

  5. #320
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Mr. P watched both programs at the coffee shop tonight on YouTube. He was utterly confused when I told him who won on PCS. He kept going on about how much he loved Akiko's arms in the program, while he described Kaetlyn's program was "full of arm flailing."

    Just one man's opinion.
    Yes, but a good opinion and likely a good man, too.

  6. #321
    Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Osmond is not unique.Ordinary skater.Ordinary spins.Ordinary jumps. Maturity?We can argue about that - for me, she has a juniorish skating...Also she tends to fall in her programs, so they are not clean. How on Earth could anybody say that she is in 1 league with such talents as Gracie, Tuk and so on???? She is just lucky. That's all.
    What exactly in your mind makes Tuk and Gracie so head and shoulders above Osmond? Let's be specific and analytic if you are going ot make such a claim.

    And by the way Blades of Passion, I did not say Osmond has a masterpiece of a program, all I said is she has better choreography than Tuktamisheva.

  7. #322
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,983
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    What exactly in your mind makes Tuk and Gracie so head and shoulders above Osmond? Let's be specific and analytic if you are going ot make such a claim.

    And by the way Blades of Passion, I did not say Osmond has a masterpiece of a program, all I said is she has better choreography than Tuktamisheva.
    Jumping in here. I actually like Liza's choreography that Kaetlyn's based on watching both programs back to back. Liza does a better job in getting her jumps and non jumps elements to the nuances of the music. She also has made some mad improvements in ice coverage. So I'd say Liza was a bit underscored in PCS relative to Kaetlyn...

  8. #323
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,384
    I prefer Kaetlyn to Gracie. I'd give Gracie the edge on jumps (of course) and I'd say both ladies are about even in spins. Kaetlyn understands the music more and actually performs the choreography rather than regurgitates the movements, which is what Gracie does. Gracie isn't a natural performer but both Kaetlyn and Liza T are.

    As for Kaetlyn in comparison to Liza T, I'd say they are about equal. Liza T's jumps are superior (she's a technician when it comes to jumps) but I think Kaetlyn's spins are much better than Liza T's. As far as performing the to the music and really getting into the performance and selling it, I think both ladies are even...that's my favorite thing about both of them: they perform their programs and bring life and energy to them. They never bore me when they're on the ice...Gracie bores me. I want to like Gracie, I swear I do, but I just don't see anything about her that excites me. She's a great jumper but she falls pretty flat to me everywhere else. Nothing else about her stands out to me.

  9. #324
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,926
    On the other hand, that's why they hold competitions. So far Osmund has beaten Soynikova at Nebelhorn an both Tuktamysheva and Gold at Skate Canada. So far, so good.

  10. #325
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,436
    Osmond is a very good skater and she has a good handle on her nerves. She skated well at Skate Canada, and given the mistakes of several of the other skaters, she deserved to be on the podium. But her PCS scores in both SP and FS were inflated. She did not skate a clean FS, yet her PCS scores were on a level with Akiko Suzuki, who skated a fast, clean and exciting FS. If Osmond got 7s, Akiko should have gotten 8s.

  11. #326
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Osmond is a very good skater and she has a good handle on her nerves. She skated well at Skate Canada, and given the mistakes of several of the other skaters, she deserved to be on the podium. But her PCS scores in both SP and FS were inflated. She did not skate a clean FS, yet her PCS scores were on a level with Akiko Suzuki, who skated a fast, clean and exciting FS. If Osmond got 7s, Akiko should have gotten 8s.
    Its just not fair for anyone other than a Canadian to skate in Canada. The judges wanted a gold sweep of candians....the pairs couldn't help them out but they almost got it. Virtue and Moir deserved second here as did Osmond (who I enjoyed watching).

  12. #327
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    And by the way Blades of Passion, I did not say Osmond has a masterpiece of a program, all I said is she has better choreography than Tuktamisheva.
    I know that's what you said...and I disagree.

  13. #328
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Its just not fair for anyone other than a Canadian to skate in Canada. The judges wanted a gold sweep of candians....the pairs couldn't help them out but they almost got it. Virtue and Moir deserved second here as did Osmond (who I enjoyed watching).
    I normally don't say too much (unless it was Sasha Cohen & Alexei) but I've got to agree with everthing you said. Actually I couldn't believe Osmond won.

  14. #329
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Osmond is a very good skater and she has a good handle on her nerves. She skated well at Skate Canada, and given the mistakes of several of the other skaters, she deserved to be on the podium. But her PCS scores in both SP and FS were inflated.

    Do you think Osmond's PCS were inflated in the SP?

    SS TR PE CH IN
    6.68 6.61 6.96 6.86 7.07

  15. #330
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    Do you think Osmond's PCS were inflated in the SP?

    SS TR PE CH IN
    6.68 6.61 6.96 6.86 7.07
    I quite enjoyed her SP and thought it was choreographed and performed better than her LP. I did not think her PCS was overmarked in the SP but obviously I don't think she should have received substantially higher PCS for her LP, which was inferior to her SP.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •