Skate Canada 2012 Pairs LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Pairs LP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't see the relation of S/S choreography and the costumes to the music.

Bolero is a piece of music to be enjoyed live, not recorded. This version ignores the build-up completely and just turns it into a repetitive rhythm. There is no theme to either the music nor the choreo.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Hi folks just joining you...sleepless nite so i sleep am and stayed in bed-almost 2:20 ESt USA can someone put up haha or whatever stream is working to day? Thanks and god bless everyone...getting worried about storm coming to NE!

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Don't like the music and the costumes of Savchenko and Szolkowy either. No comparison to last season.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hi folks just joining you...sleepless nite so i sleep am and stayed in bed-almost 2:20 ESt USA can someone put up haha or whatever stream is working to day? Thanks and god bless everyone...getting worried about storm coming to NE!

http://www.hahasport.com/v-4/6/88/v-468813.html Hit the full screen button and the annoying little overlay ads will disappear.

This one's been working best for me, though not perfect by a longshot. You lay in a store of food and flashlight batteries up there, storm coming and looks very nasty.

ETA: Live dance doesn't start until 4:40 pm eastern. Right now they're re-showing the earlier ladies FS (last group).

Last edited:

aniela

On the Ice
I can't agree. I thought they looked slow. Very much a beginning of the season program. I certainly hope it gets better as I can't see it winning worlds in its present form.
yes, I know. I meant I really liked the program. also I've read on their facebook group that Aliona wasn't feeling very well so I was a little worried before the competition.

Macassar88

Medalist
I liked Pina more as well, but I think that this is a step in a different direction again, and I love all the transitional entrances into elements. Can't wait to see it live!

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Aliona SAVCHENKO & Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) - 201.36 Free Skate
2. Meagan DUHAMEL & Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 190.49 Free Skate
3. Stefania BERTON & Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 172.03 Free Skate
4. Paige LAWRENCE & Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) - 158.33 Free Skate
5. Daria POPOVA & Bruno MASSOT (FRA) - 149.37 Free Skate
6. Tiffany VISE & Don BALDWIN (USA) - 141.21
7. Lindsay DAVIS & Mark LADWIG (USA) - 122.26

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
OMG! WHAT are they wearing?
It's just so distracting that you can't appreciate their elements and they seem slow.

I thought they looked a little cautious, but I put that down to beginning of the season. I do agree that the program did not build like it needed to.

As for costumes, I actually quite liked hers, and his would be okay if the bottom was black with the multicoloured top, but as it is, it is terribly, terribly distracting.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I fond the costumes a bit distracting but overall I enjoyed Aliona and Robin very much. They looked strong enough and I think Volosozhar & Trankov will have to watch out cause the germans won't make their lifes easy. Good for us cause the showdown between both couples seems to be very good.

EDIT: I seriously loved Duhamel & Radford :)

emma

Record Breaker
I like S/S so much, and I really love their SP. I think the LP is interesting, but will have to grow on me a bit - for the first half or maybe more, I was like cool and felt a sort of musical/choreographical/element building - then I was surprised just how much was left. Will have to see it again to understand it better; but no doubt in my mind they are up there in a league of their own.

About the costumes: it's not that I dislike them, and in fact, kind of think they are cool. But I don't think I like such similar designs - or use of color I should say - for the SP and LP; what distracted me was the lack of differentiation and the thought that: hey, I might see the LP costumes in the SP sometime this season....

But, congrats to them and the other medalists!

ETA - meant to say that I quite liked D/R too!

B

bingbing

It seems that Aliona is suffering a serious cold and she seems really weak.So I am happy to see they still complete their debut with a stable level.
Even though I do not like this Bolero, partly because I do not like the music and the former free performance of them are more than outstanding, I am still amazed at all the efforts they make in their transitions. The lifts are much more beautiful than they had before. And having the 3s back shows their huge determination and strive for the gold.So just fight, Aliona and Robin!

StellaCampo

On the Ice
I don't see the relation of S/S choreography and the costumes to the music.
Bolero is a piece of music to be enjoyed live, not recorded. This version ignores the build-up completely and just turns it into a repetitive rhythm. There is no theme to either the music nor the choreo.

I felt the same. The costumes made me wonder what they were trying to distract me from.
There seemed to be something they didn't want the audience to notice.

Bolero always reminds me of Torvil & Dean - and their dramatic use of rhythm and crescendo.
I expected something similar but there was no heightening of anything and, half way through, I realised this was only a series of pair skating elements (all too familiar S/S elements at that) joined up by the dotted line of the Bolero music.

I don't know if this LP will improve as the season goes. I'm not thrilled by the top 2 teams' LPs this season.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh, I'm usually a big cheerleader of Aliona and Robin, but this flamenco Bolero is the first program by them that I have absolutely hated. There's a fine line between avant-garde and atrocity and they have definitely crossed into the latter category. I'm just not really liking any of the programs by the top pairs teams this season, S/S nor V/T, which is a real shame because I love both teams. Perhaps the programs will grow on me later in the season, but now they are terribly difficult to digest; right now I feel like I've been food poisoned. :(

yqs100

On the Ice
S/S:is this the First time they didnt skate to a soundtrack??? Disappointed.

Can't see the connection between the music and choreography, this is the most weird flamenco I've ever seen

Maybe they should change music to portishead radiohead or maybe bjork

Art&Sport

Medalist
I like S/S so much, and I really love their SP. I think the LP is interesting, but will have to grow on me a bit - for the first half or maybe more, I was like cool and felt a sort of musical/choreographical/element building - then I was surprised just how much was left. Will have to see it again to understand it better; but no doubt in my mind they are up there in a league of their own.

About the costumes: it's not that I dislike them, and in fact, kind of think they are cool. But I don't think I like such similar designs - or use of color I should say - for the SP and LP; what distracted me was the lack of differentiation and the thought that: hey, I might see the LP costumes in the SP sometime this season....

But, congrats to them and the other medalists!

ETA - meant to say that I quite liked D/R too!

I'm a huge fan of S/S, but ITA re the too similar use of graffiti design from sp to fp. I thought the sp costumes were cool and different, but was not expecting the same thing with the flamenco theme in fp. I liked Aliona's skirt, but I feel they need to rethink the fp costumes, especially for Robin. Agree also re Bolero music. I didn't like it when I heard they were using it, but felt it possible they would bring something special, but so far, no. ITA with StellaCampo that Torvill and Dean interpreted this music to perfection, and for S/S it simply did not build in the way the music calls for. They did perform all their wonderful elements well (I think they doubled some jumps, don't know if that was planned).

I would like to see S/S go in a completely different direction for the Olympic season. And change this season's fp costumes and rework the choreo. Too bad they found that they couldn't expand on Pina in the way they would have liked. I do enjoy their Kismet sp. Also agree that V/T don't have anything special with either their sp or their fp this season, although their fp may have more potential than the sp.

ETA: I simply dislike the repetitive nature of the Bolero music, and I don't think the flamenco flavor helps at all. They really need to do something extra special with the choreo to make the repetitive music work. S/S are special, but I'm disappointed with fp at this point.

Having problems with posting; not sure why ...

Davis/Ladwig fp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__QnrqYT-c

Unfortunately too many mistakes in fp, but I enjoyed their sp; they do need to up their difficulty. They are a new team and need to develop further. Hope Lindsay isn't feeling too much pressure to live up to Mark's success with his previous partner, Amanda Evora.

DL sp: http://universalsports.com/video/20...skate-canada-davis-and-ladwigs-short-program/

Vise/Baldwin fp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezSiq1iVVaU Loved their music and they performed well. There's a cool move where Vise is positioned upside down with her hands balancing her on Baldwin's skate boot.

Looking at Popova/ Massot in the fp, I thought they skated very poorly; V/B skated much better than them.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Why no deduction for Robin wearing baby crawlers in both SP and FS? Aren't their some demands for men's trousers?

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ :laugh: Not saying I'm not enjoying the view re Robin's skin-tight "body suits" (not so much "baby crawlers" ;)). But just why the same type of graffiti style outfits for both programs? One outside the box idea for sp is fine and interesting. But OTT and not in a good way for fp, especially re flamenco theme.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^^ :laugh: Not saying I'm not enjoying the view re Robin's skin-tight "body suits" (not so much "baby crawlers" ;)). But just why the same type of graffiti style outfits for both programs? One outside the box idea for sp is fine and interesting. But OTT and not in a good way for fp, especially re flamenco theme.
Bolero is not flamenco originally, so I don't really like when they try to make them 2-in-1 like in Alyona/Robin version. Colors are surely Barcelona, eaither Gaudi or Miro but it doesn't change the whole feeling of dullness in their both progs. They were just skating elements to my mind.

tdnuva

On the Ice
As they seem to be kept down by the cold I am not yet sure how the routine will evolve - but (as a big T&D fan mainly *g*) I am quite glad that they do not try to copy T&D in any way - neither routine nor music. And this version of Bolero has a complete different layout, not the building up (as in T&D's version) but just stressing the repetitiveness. I see potential in that concept. And of course I am glad that despite the cold they kept up good tech levels in the scores. Watching V&T from Skate America leaves me with the impression that S&S have an advantage right now.