Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Can Gracie Gold handle the pressure?

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Since it was my quote, I probably need to back it up The practice I attended was the day between the short and the long. Czisny buried herself in the short program so the "3 spots thing" was already pretty much out of the question after the short. The way Czisny was practicing: very bumpy practices, landing some jumps but none as soon as the music came on. Ashley was sitting too far away from me to really judge her facial expressions, plus, there's no way of knowing what went on in her head and I might have been projecting, but she seemd definitely a little sad watching her teammate struggle like that. Also: she didn't watch very long, she had her own practice to prepare for.

R.D. is right in saying that Wagner's official statement was that she focused on herself and had no idea Czisny had skated that badly. It's probably a good thing nobody told her before she had to perform that in case she didn't land in the top 10, the US would be down to 1 spot

But basically I'm not surprised there have been no bold statements like Ashley's last year "I'm going to get those 3 spots back". Lesson learned: *both* have to do well and you have no control over the fate of your teammate.
    Thanks for clarifying! Poor Ashley. She literally got to watch the 3-spot hope slip from their grasp.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Christina at her best couldn't touch what Gracie did in the FS at Nationals.
    That may be, but Christina's isu personal best scores in all categories (combined, short program, and long program) are slightly higher than Gracie's.

Down With It
    Well, of course Wagner wasn't going to get the 3 spots on her own...arguably she did her part, Czisny was MORE than capable of placing 9th...

She even hashtagged "3spots" on Twitter when she said she was looking to Worlds...so obviously it's on her mind (again)...she just has to focus on what she has to do and not worry about what's out of her control (Gold's skating).

Banned
    An injured Czisny who couldnt even jump was not capable of coming 9th at Worlds. Knowing she was much too injured to realistically compete she should have graciously withdrew and let either Zawadzki or Zhang take her place. Just as an injured Flatt should have graciously withdrew and let Nagasu compete in 2011, especialy as Nagasu was very likely to place better than even a healthy Flatt would have, let alone an injured one. If that happens a 3rd time then the USFSA has to start monitoring their skaters right before Worlds to ensure their readiness and immediately yank anyone from the team who shows any signs of physical diress or general unreadiness for the event.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    That may be, but Christina's isu personal best scores in all categories (combined, short program, and long program) are slightly higher than Gracie's.
    Slightly higher, not significantly higher. You must also consider that Gracie has been on the senior circuit for less than a full season and is already coming within a very realistic reach of Christina's PB.

R.D. said it best -- Gracie can still edge into the Top 10 with a few falters, but Christina must be nearly perfect. Sending Christina, who gets neither high PCS nor high TES internationally, would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Well, of course Wagner wasn't going to get the 3 spots on her own...arguably she did her part, Czisny was MORE than capable of placing 9th...

She even hashtagged "3spots" on Twitter when she said she was looking to Worlds...so obviously it's on her mind (again)...she just has to focus on what she has to do and not worry about what's out of her control (Gold's skating).
    Alissa was skating terribly. She went to the Challenge Cup and couldn't land a single jump. Practices weren't go well either. She should have bowed out due to injury or whatever it was .. Instead of my place, my place...Same with Flatt the year before.

Banned
    This years Worlds will be one of the toughest ladies Worlds in years. If we assume Kim, Asada, and Kostner are the podium in some order after that you have Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Wagner, Osmond, Gold, Korpi, Suzuki, and Murakami all fighting for spots 4th to 11th. One of those skaters who could possibly finish top 5 or even win a medal if Asada or Kostner bombs, will finish right out of the top 10, atleast 1. Is there anyone I am forgetting worth note?

Wagner and Gold could regain 3 spots but both will have to have a good competition. Or if one has a somewhat bad competition they have to hope they can survive for an 8th or 9th place and the other comes atleast 4th or 5th.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Alissa was skating terribly. She went to the Challenge Cup and couldn't land a single jump. Practices weren't go well either. She should have bowed out due to injury or whatever it was .. Instead of my place, my place...Same with Flatt the year before.
    Why is it same with Flatt? Flatt did pretty well at 4CC, a month before World. She scored 180+ there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Why is it same with Flatt? Flatt did pretty well at 4CC, a month before World. She scored 180+ there.
    By Worlds she was clearly injured though, and it was confirmed she had skated with a serious injury at Worlds after the event. At 4CCs she wasnt that injured yet. Despite doing well, Nagasu also still crushed Flatt at 4CCs.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    This years Worlds will be one of the toughest ladies Worlds in years. If we assume Kim, Asada, and Kostner are the podium in some order after that you have Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Wagner, Osmond, Gold, Korpi, Suzuki, and Murakami all fighting for spots 4th to 11th. One of those skaters who could possibly finish top 5 or even win a medal if Asada or Kostner bombs, will finish right out of the top 10, atleast 1. Is there anyone I am forgetting worth note?

Wagner and Gold could regain 3 spots but both will have to have a good competition. Or if one has a somewhat bad competition they have to hope they can survive for an 8th or 9th place and the other comes atleast 4th or 5th.
    I would only guarantee Kim a spot on the podium based on her amazing consistency and international cred--Asada faltered badly at last year's Worlds and Kostner has yet to show that she can defend her title. That cracks open the door for Wagner and Suzuki, both of whom are stunning when on. Of course, Wagner will need a 3-3 or 2A-3T to hope for a shot at the podium.

Both Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova have struggled with various issues this season, and though their performances at Euros were commendable, they (especially Sotnikova) still have much to prove in terms of consistency. Murakami's chronic UR-ing will be a problem if she hopes to finish in the top 5. Korpi doesn't seem to get the recognition she deserves from international judges, perhaps because all of her programs revolve around the same premise--a pretty girl doing pretty spins in pretty dresses. That leaves Osmond and Gold, both of whom have shown serious consistency problems. Someone was suggesting that Osmond will get a score inflation due to Worlds being held in her home country, but I doubt it. The pressure is really on for her to singlehandedly regain Canada's two spots.

Banned
    I really would be amazed if Suzuki somehow medals at Worlds this year. I give her less chance of a medal than Kim, Asada, Kostner, Wagner, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, at this point. Even Gold and Osmond are more likely to sneak in for a medal if they have a great competition than Suzuki is. Also if Suzuki does not replicate her great 4CCs performancres, which given her season might be a tall order, I predict Murakami to finish above her. I suspect that is what the Japenese fed. would like to see happen so Suzuki had better deliver if she wants to keep her at bay.

Rinkside
    Gracie needs Grace and she is not going to get it from the Russian Jump coach she has period. Another point, Alex is tough and unforgiving, He contributes to the head case problems she has.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by goldseal11 View Post
    Gracie needs Grace and she is not going to get it from the Russian Jump coach she has period. Another point, Alex is tough and unforgiving, He contributes to the head case problems she has.
    Do you have proof of this--a video of Gracie's practice, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Traditionally, I think the USFSA has taken the (in my opinion laudable) position that the Federation does not send skaters to worlds. Skaters earn that reward at the big National Championship Competition, come one, come all!

I like it. It's quaint, it's old-fashioned, it's egalitarian -- and it sort of thumbs its nose at the ISU, saying that your grand world thingy is not so important as you think it is.
    Well people would be fine with that, the issue is many feel USFSA RIGGS Nationals. After all do you really think Wagner "earned" the scores she got at Nationals. The point would be the USFSA doesn't even follow their own freakin system.

And its perfectly fair to ask why at the very least these ladies aren't scored by international standards. Some skaters getting really high huge PCS that they'd never get internationally....Other's aren't. Its not right.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-11-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    By Worlds she was clearly injured though, and it was confirmed she had skated with a serious injury at Worlds after the event. At 4CCs she wasnt that injured yet. Despite doing well, Nagasu also still crushed Flatt at 4CCs.
    Flatt was doing well the last competition before World.
    Czisny couldn't land a single jump the last competition before World.

Not the same at all. There's no reason to pull Flatt. There was a good reason to pull Czisny.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast