Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Can Gracie Gold handle the pressure?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Competitions are not won on IF's. As you well know, they are won by what the skater puts out on the ice at the competition. What is the basis of thinking Gold will not continue her pattern at worlds? In her last two competitions she has had a poor showing in either the short or long program. So she really shows no consistent strength in either. Maybe, in future years that will change, but not this year imo. Right now Christiana is steadier and would increase our chances of getting 3 spots if Ashley does as hoped. Your statement is more supportive of my position than your own.
    Gao's potential high score is probably at least 10-12 points lower then if Gracie skates clean. Plus Gao wasn't exactly impressive when she finished last at the GPF. Gao was pretty much forgettable until this year. If she can improve in one year so can Gracie. Nothing that Gao does really stands out she's not real fast nor are her jumps huge like Gracie's. She's Yuna lite.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    All coaches on the international level are tough and demanding. Look at John Nicks, Alexei Mishin, Brian Orser, etc. But accusing a coach of psychologically harming his skater is a ridiculous accusation without concrete proof. If Gracie truly feels that Alex is contributing to her consistency issues, then she can leave him. Simple as that.
    I've seen them interact in practice and am not suggesting anything of the sort, just suggesting what someone may point to as their "proof". Alex IS demanding and tough. Alex CAN be short tempered and exacting. Do I believe the comment? No. I've seen them interact and they seem to have a good working relationship. Gold's mother will censure Alex when he oversteps his bounds, so it's not like she gives him 100% free reign.
    I think Gold has put enormous pressure on HERSELF which is where the nerves come from - more so than Alex, Scott Brown, her mother, USFS or her twin or anyone else. Once she manages her OWN expectations, she will be formidable, but this is something she needs to learn and the only way to learn is through trial and error.

I think USFS is putting their faith in Gold, Hicks, Edmunds, Bell, Miller, etc because they know the only one with an outside chance at the podium RIGHT NOW this season and next (unless things change drastically in the next 1-12 months) is Wagner and want to get the skaters I mention international experience and READY for the next quadrenium as the ones who were supposed to be the future after Vancouver have fallen short of expectation (Nagasu, Zhang...)

Custom Title
    I hope Gracie doesn't become like Sasha. Sasha was so determined to be perfect all the time that she of course would always make mistakes that cost her in the LP. Hopefully Gracie will manage her expectations and not be so hard on herself.
    Last edited by Jammers; 02-12-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    What's questionable about pointing out something that we all witnessed? Even sloppy, Gold made it into the Top 6 at a major international competition. The protocols attest to that.

Gold's FS was, to put it kindly, a disaster. One fall, one edge call, one popped jump...how could her TES possibly be higher than Gao's?
    What I was questioning was R.D.'s statement: "Sending Christina, who gets neither high PCS nor high TES internationally, would be a mistake."

At this event Gao got higher scores in both categories. His reasoning for not sending Gao on that basis does not hold water.

Custom Title
    IMO judges shouldn't be allowed to attend practices.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Things should be taken into account but sometimes when the placement or general idea of placements is predetermined it makes it a lot tougher for other skaters to breakthrough. OR, like in Christina's case, skaters do well but aren't scored correctly. I honestly think Christina had a fair case for bronze given her performances. Her mistakes in her programs weren't as bad as Agnes' and (taking into account her season) she had an overall better season than Agnes. Her programs were better choreographed and delivered than Courtney Hicks as well. Christina should not have ended up 5th again...and Agnes shouldn't have gone to 4CC. They should have given that spot to Courtney if she wanted it...
    I agree with you here. Personally, I think the impending Olympic season is messing with their heads and where they want the skaters to be (both internationally and mentally). Also, and this is me being a bit of a pessimist, I think the fact that this nationals didn't have many stellar skates also contributed.

Miserere Nobis
    What I was questioning was R.D.'s statement: "Sending Christina, who gets neither high PCS nor high TES internationally, would be a mistake."

At this event Gao got higher scores in both categories. His reasoning for not sending Gao on that basis does not hold water.
    That was my quote, actually. R.D. was suggesting that Christina must be nearly flawless to be in the mix, whereas Gracie can afford a few mistakes and still keep her head above water. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Plus, we can't assume from comparison to Gracie's low PCS/TES from two poor skates that Christina's PCS/TES were high. Christina doesn't have the technical execution or the depth of interpretation that would warrant scores as high as those of the Russians, Yuna, Carolina, or Mao. Gracie, on the other hand, has programs packed with technical content--her only trouble is performing it.
    Last edited by ForeverFish; 02-12-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Down With It
    You are quoting post #155, which was made by ForeverFish. Those words above are not my words.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I hope Gracie doesn't become like Sasha. Sasha was so determined to be perfect all the time that she of course would always make mistakes that cost her in the LP. Hopefully Gracie will manage her expectations and not be so hard on herself.
    I think US fans would DIE to have a Cohen in the mix right now...

At least Cohen was continually on the medal stand (or 4th at worst) even with her mistakes...

When you've got US champions like a Nagasu or a Wagner doing nearly the best they can and STILL unable get on the podium, then you raise an eyebrow...wondering what happened to US ladies, etc...
    Last edited by R.D.; 02-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Well becalc I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I think Gracie is hand over hand a more complete skater than Christina Gao. She's alot younger, too, so certainly has time to grow and gain that consistency.
    Um, she is just one year younger? I think in fact that she appears more mature on the ice in her presentation and that is why people think she is older.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Gao made NO mistakes in the SP and ONE mistake in the LP. Gold made two mistakes in the SP (and was only behind by 2 points) and 5 or 6 mistakes in the LP. Gold's upside potential for score is higher if she just REDUCES the number of errors. Gao would have to be nearly-perfect to improve her score.
    Gold gets PCS love from the judges because of her basic speed and high jumps (when she does them), Otherwise she doesn't really deserve them, to be honest.
    Especiallly the PE and IN marks.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I think US fans would DIE to have a Cohen in the mix right now...

At least Cohen was continually on the medal stand (or 4th at worst) even with her mistakes...

When you've got US champions like a Nagasu or a Wagner doing nearly the best they can and STILL unable get on the podium, then you raise an eyebrow...wondering what happened to US ladies, etc...
    Miss Thing would be buried under this new system. Well know flutzer, flip isn't so good, actually none of the jumps are good, skating skill is of second tier skaters. Her line and her choreography might be the only thing that is top tier. I think she's guaranteed to be out of final group after the SP, and with at least 1-2 mistakes in the LP, also out of the top 6.

I wonder who would die to have a Cohen in the mix right now?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Her edge jumps were good and her skating skills weren't that weak. Her edge quality was a bit weak, but her capability for footwork was great. Amazing spins too, so her tech mark would be fine.

She would have a big advantage in PCS because her ability to perform and execute choreography was phenomenal. Cohen was actually a very good CoP skater. She got hammered for making 1 mistake in the 6.0 system. CoP cares less about mistakes.

Custom Title
    Sasha did compete under the new system. Admittedly there have been some changes to the system, but she would have adapted. She fell twice at the Olympics and still pulled off winning a silver medal. Sasha was one of those skaters who personally poured over the rule books to maximize her points rather than leaving that task completely up to her coach and choreographer. Some recent skaters would do well to follow her lead with regard to that.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I wonder who would die to have a Cohen in the mix right now?
    Roughly 7 years removed from Torino, I can definitely appreciate what Sasha did. No, she never had the mental toughness to be the best (waaaay too much of a headcase) but her overall skating was great. Not the best edge quality or technique but she did enough jump wise to stay in the top 3 or 4. Were she competing now she'd get dinged on her flutz like everyone else but the rest of her jumps were good enough to get by. She had beautiful spins and spirals, decent footwork and good speed, plus presence, presentation, line, grace, artistry and that "it" factor.

Personally, I think the US would kill to have Sasha Cohen at this point...

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast