Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Gracie Gold handle the pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Actually, from the consistency we saw from her last season, she seems to revel in the pressure--or at least gain strength from it. In interviews she seems like a passionate skater who, aside from enjoying herself, also wants to win. What we need to remember is that she's only seventeen, and is still balancing skating with school and adolescent issues. One misstep is natural--she simply does not have the maturity of the older skaters, which will come with time--and isn't the death nail for her career as some have been saying.
    And that death nail talk is crazy considering she's been skating at the senior level for all of five months! Just think of the number of skaters we would be deprived of enjoying if we based one's career on a five-month period....

And I agree she's nothing like Carolina Kostner -- Gracie does like to compete and she can be fierce. In fact, I'd argue that a lot of her mistakes as of late has been the result of, as she says, getting ahead of herself and rushing to the next element. At SLC, for example, she generated a ton of speed and rush took quickly, resulting in the 2F-2T combo. I'd say she's more like Ashley Wagner, actually. Wagner in her early years was so fierce and wanted it so badly that she mess up due to rushing it (key example fall on 3Z in 2010 Nationals SP). Over the years Ashley's learned to be patient (it's something she's noted in interviewed) and to not rush into every jump.

And Gracie already knows this, judging from her quote in the icenetwork article.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Actually, from the consistency we saw from her last season, she seems to revel in the pressure--or at least gain strength from it. In interviews she seems like a passionate skater who, aside from enjoying herself, also wants to win. What we need to remember is that she's only seventeen, and is still balancing skating with school and adolescent issues. One misstep is natural--she simply does not have the maturity of the older skaters, which will come with time--and isn't the death nail for her career as some have been saying.
    Perhaps, although I don't believe anyone was making the argument that Gracie's career is over, hehe. Still...have you seen the look in Michelle Kwan's eyes when she was 15 years old? She was out for blood...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Did even yu-na kim win her first senior GP? I don't think so. Mao did (i think) but she's hardly unbeatable now. Gracie has the technique to be great--but she won't be a champion for another season or two. give the girl some time.
    No, YuNa did not win her first senior GP. Joannie Rochette and Fumie Suguri got first and second, respectively (both had considerable more experience)...and YuNa grabbed the bronze. YuNa has never been off the podium in her competitive career. At her second outing, she won over Miki Ando (who would become World Champion that season) and Kimmie Meissner (World Champion the season just before.)

I like what I've seen so far of Gracie Gold, who, just based on her potential, may beat Ashley Wagner at US Nationals this year. I am just not yet sure that I see the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    YuNa has never been off the podium in her competitive career.
    Think about it. Never.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Perhaps, although I don't believe anyone was making the argument that Gracie's career is over, hehe. Still...have you seen the look in Michelle Kwan's eyes when she was 15 years old? She was out for blood...

No, YuNa did not win her first senior GP. Joannie Rochette and Fumie Suguri got first and second, respectively (both had considerable more experience)...and YuNa grabbed the bronze. YuNa has never been off the podium in her competitive career. At her second outing, she won over Miki Ando (who would become World Champion that season) and Kimmie Meissner (World Champion the season just before.)

I like what I've seen so far of Gracie Gold, who, just based on her potential, may beat Ashley Wagner at US Nationals this year. I am just not yet sure that I see the fire.
    Gracie herself has said that she can never be compared to Michelle, who was skating at the senior level at twelve. Also, have you watched her programs from Junior Worlds last season? She definitely meant business when she beat out Sotnikova for silver.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    And that death nail talk is crazy considering she's been skating at the senior level for all of five months! Just think of the number of skaters we would be deprived of enjoying if we based one's career on a five-month period....

And I agree she's nothing like Carolina Kostner -- Gracie does like to compete and she can be fierce. In fact, I'd argue that a lot of her mistakes as of late has been the result of, as she says, getting ahead of herself and rushing to the next element. At SLC, for example, she generated a ton of speed and rush took quickly, resulting in the 2F-2T combo. I'd say she's more like Ashley Wagner, actually. Wagner in her early years was so fierce and wanted it so badly that she mess up due to rushing it (key example fall on 3Z in 2010 Nationals SP). Over the years Ashley's learned to be patient (it's something she's noted in interviewed) and to not rush into every jump.

And Gracie already knows this, judging from her quote in the icenetwork article.
    If I had to compare Gracie to any big skater of the past decade, it would be Sasha Cohen. In spite of their very different styles, both girls had the fire to go far and both have been held back by striving to be too perfect--that is, to live up to the standards set by the media. Hopefully the hype around Gracie will die down just a little so she can prepare for the Cup of Russia in peace.

Good comparison -- she does have the lovely lines, pointed feet, and she's a beauty. No wonder everyone got so excited about her. Let's see what she does in Russia. Hope she does well. I liked what I saw.

Down With It
    If I had to compare Gracie to any big skater of the past decade, it would be Sasha Cohen. In spite of their very different styles, both girls had the fire to go far and both have been held back by striving to be too perfect--that is, to live up to the standards set by the media. Hopefully the hype around Gracie will die down just a little so she can prepare for the Cup of Russia in peace.
    Hmm, not sure I see the parallel. Cohen's international debut was at the Olympics, and she was 4th to boot, even if she had an imperfect FS. Meanwhile, everyone is going crazy over Gold over her name but so far, the product (i.e. her skating) doesn't live up to the advertisement. If Gold makes the World team and finishes top 4 THEN I think the two might be comparable. The thing about Cohen is that she could make mistakes and still medal (or finish 4th at worst). Gold made mistakes at SC and finished 7th...say what you will.

Gracie was INCREDIBLY nervous here - more so than her JGP debut last year, her Nationals (JR) skate, or Junior Worlds last year. I haven't seen her that nervous since her first competition as a Junior. She needs to go back to the drawing board (mentally) on how to deal with that as it was apparently unexpected from her and so she hadn't considered how to channel it properly. The thing about this girl is that she DOES learn from her mistakes and that means it can only get better.

Custom Title
    I agree with Tulosai's earlier comments. We need to maintain perspective about these up-and-coming skaters. Just because a girl has one or two good years in juniors doesn't mean she's going to come out and win Worlds or the OGM the next season. Even if she wins a senior Grand Prix or two, like Tukt, it still doesn't necessarily mean she's going to medal at Worlds or the GPF final or even have the same level of success the following year. The reality is, pressure happens. Puberty happens. Despite what Polina Shelepen might say, it's a heck of a lot more difficult competing as a senior in the international spotlight, with millions potentially watching, than as a junior with very few people paying any attention except your coaches, family, friends, and to some extent the federation.

I'm disappointed about Gracie's performances so far this season, but I'm not overly surprised. It's her first year in seniors. Give her time to adjust, time to learn how to compete. Sometimes I think it's better to come out of juniors a little under the radar, like Osmond did, instead of at the top with all those expectations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Gracie was INCREDIBLY nervous here - more so than her JGP debut last year, her Nationals (JR) skate, or Junior Worlds last year. I haven't seen her that nervous since her first competition as a Junior. She needs to go back to the drawing board (mentally) on how to deal with that as it was apparently unexpected from her and so she hadn't considered how to channel it properly. The thing about this girl is that she DOES learn from her mistakes and that means it can only get better.
    I think Gracie will be just fine because she has good technique on her jumps. It seems the girls who struggle when their bodies transition do so because they have tiny jumps. When they grow up they can't spin as fast, but they haven't learned how to jump "up" so they end up underrotating the jumps or losing them completely. That's why I think skaters like Gracie and Adelina will be successful very soon; they just have to adjust to their bodies a bit more but the technique is there.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Hmm, not sure I see the parallel. Cohen's international debut was at the Olympics, and she was 4th to boot, even if she had an imperfect FS. Meanwhile, everyone is going crazy over Gold over her name but so far, the product (i.e. her skating) doesn't live up to the advertisement. If Gold makes the World team and finishes top 4 THEN I think the two might be comparable. The thing about Cohen is that she could make mistakes and still medal (or finish 4th at worst). Gold made mistakes at SC and finished 7th...say what you will.
    Of course Gold and Cohen are leagues apart in terms of their performances--I was referring to the similarities in their fierce, passionate attack of each program they skated. I don't think Gold will have any trouble making the World team. Wagner, presupposing good health, will have one of the spots for sure. Alissa Czisny has been out of competition for a while and very recently underwent surgery for an injury, so I doubt she will be ready to fight for that second spot come early next year. That leaves--of the skaters we've been seeing so far--Christina Gao (very unlikely), Caroline Zhang (unlikely), Agnes Zawadzki (hasn't shown much wow-factor yet, but I'm interested to see what she does at her GP assignments), Rachael Flatt (very unlikely), and Mirai Nagasu (will give Gold her biggest challenge, though no GP assignments this season). Gold has excellent odds for a huge international experience next March.

Rinkside
    Best technical skater in the world?? I can only hope that is an exaggeration of the largest form. I dislike her skating as it feels uninspired and the one or two gyrations in the sp left me horrified.

Really, no one who's been following skating for a good amount of time would find this scenario alarming. Few skaters have great season after great season, or nail 7-triple program after 7-triple program. Most do struggle and fall short of expectations at some point, whether it'd be one disastrous competition or several sub-par seasons. And how many skaters have we watched achieve success after being also-rans for years? Only time will tell how successful Gracie will be on the world stage, but her performances and results so far this season don't prove anything.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Cohen's international debut was at the Olympics, and she was 4th to boot. . .
    Sasha debuted as a Senior in the GP fall 2000 and she withdrew from 2001 Nationals, ending her season. She also skated the GP fall 2001 prior to the Olympics, so Salt Lake City was not her international debut.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-29-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by mars007 View Post
    Best technical skater in the world?? I can only hope that is an exaggeration of the largest form. I dislike her skating as it feels uninspired and the one or two gyrations in the sp left me horrified.
    Who said that she was the best technical skater in the world? She may become such with time--her technique is excellent--but she still needs stronger emotion. I wouldn't judge her skating based on one terrible performance, and her GP debut at that. Let's see what she does at CoR, Nats, and (possibly) Worlds.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast