Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 129

Thread: Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719

    Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada

    In my view, Akiko was the clear winner and Osmond's score in the FS was way too high. In fact, I would have placed her 4th in the FS and just edging out Liza for the Bronze (Akiko, Kanako, and Liza were all undermarked). The Judging was a disgrace and I think the ISU should carry out an inquiry. Results like this jeopardise the credibility of the sport, and lessons need to be learned to prevent a repetition.
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-27-2012 at 03:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    745
    Let it be..I wouldn't require enquiry now but the question is can Canada host WC without such homerism? If smth like this happens there then, of course, it should be taken to consideration somehow..

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,580
    I don't think it's necessary. GP events aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things, and we really see "home cooking" of scores everywhere. I disagree with the result but even if you scored Kaetlyn a point lower on PCS she still would have won.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    I demand an inquiry Kanako, Liza, and Aiko were robbed of a better ranking
    those ridiculous Osmonds PCS should be put into inquiry !

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,418
    Why don't one of you draft the inquiry proposal so we can clearly see the protested points rather than simple accusations and declarations?

  6. #6
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,213
    Nope, I don't think it's needed either. It was poor judging, but I'm sure that someone will bring it up (and not just in a skating forum either) in a more casual light so perhaps it won't happen in a future competition. That's better than Akiko winning after a arbitrary ruling.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    In my view, Akiko was the clear winner and Osmond's score in the FS was way too high. In fact, I would have placed her 4th in the FS and just edging out Liza for the Bronze (Akiko, Kanako, and Liza were all undermarked). The Judging was a disgrace and I think the ISU should carry out an inquiry. Results like this jeopardise the credibility of the sport, and lessons need to be learned to prevent a repetition.
    The Pcs score for Osmond was unusually good. Really to be treated better than he world silver medalist and previous skate Canada winner and everyone there is just not usual. Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges. You also see this in some wins of Patrick chan.

    Liza also didn't win an event based pcs ever.
    Last edited by gmyers; 10-27-2012 at 06:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    In my view, Akiko was the clear winner and Osmond's score in the FS was way too high. In fact, I would have placed her 4th in the FS and just edging out Liza for the Bronze (Akiko, Kanako, and Liza were all undermarked). The Judging was a disgrace and I think the ISU should carry out an inquiry. Results like this jeopardise the credibility of the sport, and lessons need to be learned to prevent a repetition.
    I don't think results like these jeopardize the sport as much as we'd like to think. If they genuinely did jeopardize the ISU's ability to monetize these skaters, they'd do something about it (or more accurately, the cost-benefit analysis doesn't work in the ISU's favour).

    Though, lets actually have one fact. Winning on PCS suggests that they lost on TES and were able to make up the difference on PCS. Which wasn't the case here. She won on both. You can argue she shouldn't have, of course.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The score for Osmond was unusually good. Really to be treated better than he world silver medalist and previous Kate Canada winner and everyone there is just not usual. Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges. You also see this in some wins of Patrick chan.
    I read in one interview, the Canadian Feds get the most politicking and swaying when it comes to judges and scoring
    I think they will be pushing Osmond to be the leading Gold female Olympic contender or at least close the gap with Yuna as she comes back in a
    hope by beating most of the current skaters, Osmond will be a lock with a fight w/ Yuna for OGM

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    sky_fly20, the interview was with Morosov. The trial of pot vs kettle, I'd suggest.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719
    Osmond is a very promising young skater. But she is not the real winner of today's competition. Suzuki is. At best, Osmond's overall performance warranted Bronze. For some reason, this season Osmond has been getting very inflated PCS scores
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-27-2012 at 07:47 PM.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,633
    This is it I guess your title was too mean or political or something

  13. #13
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges.
    Wow ! How did the Canadian federation become so awesome ? Is this really true or just speculation ?

  14. #14
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    To answer the OP - no I don't, because I don't believe in the conspiracy.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Osmond is a very promising young skater. But she is not the real winner of today's competition. Suzuki is. At best, Osmond's overall performance warranted Bronze. For some reason, this season Osmond has been getting very inflated PCS scores
    But it says Osmond won in wikipedia!

    Quote Originally Posted by fwsf View Post
    Wow ! How did the Canadian federation become so awesome ? Is this really true or just speculation ?
    a) It's the biggest skating federation in the world (according to it's own website).

    b) The key designer of COP was Canadian, though the idea was kicking around after the wierdness of Euros 1997.

    c) Skate Canada tends to be present at a lot of events to boost their skaters with the judges (this has been noted by both those "on the other side" and those who's bias is perhaps less vehement)

    d) The new powerhouses with money (the Japanese, Chinese and Korean federations) are still NEW in the grand scheme of things.

    Make no mistake, it's not the only example of a powerful federation in ISU history. The Soviet Union was notoriously powerful and corrupt, up to the point where the ISU suspended their judges for an entire season; 1993 was marred by similar controversies where judges were suspended from ice dance. But now, it does seem like Skate Canada wields a lot of influence on policy (witness the recent debacle re: qualifying rounds).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •