Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    On the other hand, I thought Kaetlyn deserved second or third place at this year's Skate Canada. Akiko Suzuki clearly outpeformed her, but the judges held up the Canadian skater on PCS. I have never heard of a relatively unknown, newbie senior skater receiving the same PCS score as a reigning world medalist. And Osmond's presentation and skating skills are not on Suzuki's level, so the result just feels fraudulent to me.
    What you're totally failing to acknowledge is the SP. Kaetlyn rightly had a lead over Suzuki after the short. Suzuki was 5th coming into the long. Suzuki won the long, but it wasn't quite enough to overcome Osmond's lead. Boo hoo.

Answering the title of the thread: Don't be ridiculous.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Figure skating is a 2 program event and Akiko unfortunately blew the SP, but great for her to come roaring back in the LP! The results show how important it is for these skaters to have a clean SP. Wishing Suzuki better luck in the SP next time!
    This is right only in that skating is a 2 programs but leaves out osmonds extremely high pcs for who she is.

Custom Title
    sky_fly20, the interview was with Morosov. The trial of pot vs kettle, I'd suggest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    What you're totally failing to acknowledge is the SP. Kaetlyn rightly had a lead over Suzuki after the short. Suzuki was 5th coming into the long. Suzuki won the long, but it wasn't quite enough to overcome Osmond's lead. Boo hoo.

Answering the title of the thread: Don't be ridiculous.
    People are talking about osmonds superiority to suzuki in pcs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Figure skating is a 2 program event and Akiko unfortunately blew the SP, but great for her to come roaring back in the LP! The results show how important it is for these skaters to have a clean SP. Wishing Suzuki better luck in the SP next time!
    It is important for Suzuki to skate a clean short program.

It is also important for the judges to score both the short and the long program conscientiously.

Osmond is a very promising young skater. But she is not the real winner of today's competition. Suzuki is. At best, Osmond's overall performance warranted Bronze. For some reason, this season Osmond has been getting very inflated PCS scores
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-27-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges.
    Wow ! How did the Canadian federation become so awesome ? Is this really true or just speculation ?

To answer the OP - no I don't, because I don't believe in the conspiracy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Osmond is a very promising young skater. But she is not the real winner of today's competition. Suzuki is. At best, Osmond's overall performance warranted Bronze. For some reason, this season Osmond has been getting very inflated PCS scores
    But it says Osmond won in wikipedia!

Quote Originally Posted by fwsf View Post
    Wow ! How did the Canadian federation become so awesome ? Is this really true or just speculation ?
    a) It's the biggest skating federation in the world (according to it's own website).

b) The key designer of COP was Canadian, though the idea was kicking around after the wierdness of Euros 1997.

c) Skate Canada tends to be present at a lot of events to boost their skaters with the judges (this has been noted by both those "on the other side" and those who's bias is perhaps less vehement)

d) The new powerhouses with money (the Japanese, Chinese and Korean federations) are still NEW in the grand scheme of things.

Make no mistake, it's not the only example of a powerful federation in ISU history. The Soviet Union was notoriously powerful and corrupt, up to the point where the ISU suspended their judges for an entire season; 1993 was marred by similar controversies where judges were suspended from ice dance. But now, it does seem like Skate Canada wields a lot of influence on policy (witness the recent debacle re: qualifying rounds).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fwsf View Post
    Really true.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Its not corruption that needs examination, but skate order. COP was supposed to be free from being influenced by skate order. However, as we've een with many champions phips, skate order stillplays a role.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Its not corruption that needs examination, but skate order. COP was supposed to be free from being influenced by skate order. However, as we've een with many champions phips, skate order stillplays a role.
    Good point. I'm completely against the current GP practice of having FS competitors go in strict reverse order of SP rank. Draw for order should be random within each warm-up group. I'm OK with warm-up groups for FS assembled by order of SP finish.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    What happened at Euros 1997?

Custom Title
    Oh, the ordinals flipped around bizarrely in the men's event and the commentators didn't understand/explain it . Jacques Rogue and Cinquata both commented negatively on the situation. Mathman's tried to explain how it was reasonable and even posted a link to an analysis to explain how/why it happened, but I still don't understand it. After that and ice dance in Nagano, COP started gathering more steam. Salt Lake City was the final push, but it wasn't he only one, imo.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I found a report of the competition but didnt understand a thing, even Rogue commented on a Euro Championship?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast