Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Anybody know what happened to the thread I started on the result of the Ladies event in which the question was asked whether there should be an ISU Inquiry into the result? I can't find it anywhere

Yes, I'm also looking for it.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In my opinion, the title of the thread should have stayed the same (as the new one does not fully represent the nature of the discussion/debate) and the thread should have remained in "The Edge" as the discussion deals with issues which are wider than just Skate Canada.

The titles in the threads are constantly edited or revised for various reasons. In this case, the problem with this thread was that the title was too long as it ties into the main page where we have our Forum Feed and was taking up too much room. To solve the problem, we have changed the title back and will remove the Event Forums from the Main page feed.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
BTW, with regards to Murakami's "underrotated" jumps:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Zuranthium/MurakamiTAKEOFF.png

^ Here is where she leaves the ice on the 3Loop. As is standard for many jumps, and is in fact ideal for the Loop and Salchow jumps, she pre-rotates one half turn on the ice before fully leaving the ice. From this point she needs to turn 2 and 1/4 rotations in the air in order for the jump to be considered complete (that's where the "1/4 turn short" mark is).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Zuranthium/MurakamiAIR.png

^ In this picture Murkami has just about made it to the 1/4 turn mark and she is STILL IN THE AIR. Right here it's plain to see the jump is going to be sufficiently rotated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Zuranthium/MurakamiLANDING.png

^ And here is the actual landing, many degrees past the 1/4 turn mark. If her toepick perhaps touched down slightly earlier than this picture is able to show, it still would have been within that 1/4 turn mark based upon the proof of the previous pictures. It's rather obvious that this is a good jump to begin with when you see it in motion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay, I have remained silent, probably too long lol. First, while there are many educated people out there it is not unfathomable considering Akiko's errors in the short that Osmond won or could possibly win with her routines. Second, I don't think there is a lot of politicking and if there is then one could say the same thing at Skate America. The Americans pairs could have been dinged for doing well technically but slaughtered in pcs. One can argue they have had for years a lot of power - they always seemed to have skater in the top ten and arguably it is not just because they are so good. Ashley arguably was overmarked at SA. And DAvis and White were given very very generous scores for programs that not only need mileage are not looking so great comparatively to past performances and programs.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You apparently missed the confidence and command Wagner had a SA. She made a few errors and was dinged on GOE (rightfully) for those. Her PCS was deserved, especially in relation to the other skaters.

D/W were sufficiently hit for their FD- they only scored 104+ and are usually 110+ skaters.

American pairs were all slammed on PCS at SA.

Try again.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
You apparently missed the confidence and command Wagner had a SA. She made a few errors and was dinged on GOE (rightfully) for those. Her PCS was deserved, especially in relation to the other skaters.

D/W were sufficiently hit for their FD- they only scored 104+ and are usually 110+ skaters.

American pairs were all slammed on PCS at SA.

Try again.

1. Wagner's PCS were okay, but I don't think she'll get quite that high at TEB

2. D/W's PCS were quite high for a work in progress. They were higher than they were last season, and Die Fliedermaus was basically perfect from the getgo.

2. D/C were overscored PCS wise

ForeverFish

Medalist
Totally agree. Some posters are venomous in their anger. I hope they are given an infraction.
There is nothhing wrong with having a different opinion but state it with civility. One shudders to think of the kind of upbringing these people have.

I haven't been following every thread about Osmond, but can you give an example of when the opinion that Suzuki should have won wasn't stated with civility? No matter how individuals on this forum may feel about the outcome of Skate Canada, I haven't seen a single person blatantly attack a sixteen-year-old girl for marks that, in the end, were given at the discretion of the judges. Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that some less-than-courteous reactions (which I have not yet seen) are a result of, as you say, a faulty "upbringing." Such an assumption is, after all, no better than the "venomous" backlashes against Osmond.

JPierce

Match Penalty
Canadian competitions are consistently the least fair and most biased toward their home skaters. This is just another example. If the ISU wanted to have any credibility it would throw out crooked judges and throw out this worthless scoring system, a system which as you can see here has NOT removed blatant favoritism and bias. Now we still have a crooked system, secret judging, as well as scores disconnected from the overall performance.

Here's the sad truth - it's not going to get better. The people in control of skating are corrupt. If you're hoping for change you can forget it.

emdee

Final Flight
I haven't been following every thread about Osmond, but can you give an example of when the opinion that Suzuki should have won wasn't stated with civility? No matter how individuals on this forum may feel about the outcome of Skate Canada, I haven't seen a single person blatantly attack a sixteen-year-old girl for marks that, in the end, were given at the discretion of the judges. Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that some less-than-courteous reactions (which I have not yet seen) are a result of, as you say, a faulty "upbringing." Such an assumption is, after all, no better than the "venomous" backlashes against Osmond.

Mea culpa. my posting was definitely coloured with uncivil opinions stated elsewhere about this skater and others that have upset me from time to time.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

It might help if you take time and read through every post in every thread about Skate Canada, not just Osmond.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Foreverfish is right. There might been a few posts of a more venomous nature, but I think 95 percent of the posters commenting on Skate Canada/Osmond threads have pretty much been in the "judges gave Osmond PCS scores too close to Suzuki" variety along with some supporting reasons why. There has been a few more posters questioning the politics of the judging, which I think is within reason (that's always a topic; for heaven's sake, we have a thread on "most powerful federation!"). And a few more analyzing Osmond's skating at Skate Canada (choreography, tech content, etc).

I think the worst posts have been the ones that say something along "Osmond is going to get scores she doesn't deserve at Worlds because they're at Canada," "Osmond is a lock for whatever because of XYZ" or "Skate Canada is a crooked/corrupt federation." I certainly don't agree with those posts and they are clearly coming from the same handful of posters (at most 4-5).

There's been more posts, in my opinion, complaining of these mean posts than the actual mean posts themselves.

ForeverFish

Medalist
It might help if you take time and read through every post in every thread about Skate Canada, not just Osmond.

Unfortunately, time prohibits me from doing so--I do have a life outside of philosophizing about figure skating :). I think I've read through a good majority of the Skate Canada threads since I was so upset after Gracie Gold's seventh-place finish, and have yet to find many (if any) posts of a truly malicious nature toward Osmond herself. Most of the negative reactions have been towards Skate Canada or the judges.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, time prohibits me from doing so--I do have a life outside of philosophizing about figure skating :). I think I've read through a good majority of the Skate Canada threads since I was so upset after Gracie Gold's seventh-place finish, and have yet to find many (if any) posts of a truly malicious nature toward Osmond herself. Most of the negative reactions have been towards Skate Canada or the judges.

Which was not right!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
No, it wasn't, but I was disputing emdee's comment in regards to the erroneous belief that Osmond was being attacked. Not many people will go out of their way to destroy a sixteen-year-old girl.

She didn't mention a word about Osmond if you go back to read the quote you've quoted from her.

Anyway, it should be herself to explain her intention. I didn't take her quote in the way you took it.

ForeverFish

Medalist
She didn't mention a word about Osmond if you go back to read the quote you've quoted from her.

Anyway, it should be herself to explain her intention. I didn't take her quote in the way you took it.

I know she didn't mention Osmond, but in my reply, I was only addressing Osmond (the reason for all of the debate) and the fact that no one has attacked her, since it seemed to me that emdee was lamenting the negativity after Skate Canada in general.