Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should the ISU carry out an Inquiry into the outcome of the Ladies FS at Skate Canada

burntBREAD

Medalist
I was about to post the same thing. When Liza won I don't recall such a vindictive uproar. Perhaps it's because she's from Canada, not U.S., Russia, or Japan and she screwed up the predictions :laugh:

While I think an inquiry is an overreaction, I also don't think that last year's results can be compared equally. Tuktamysheva skated about as well as she could have (and got in the low-50s in PCS if I recall correctly, not that I have anything to argue about that, her skating still lacks maturity and she needs to develop better SS and TR), while Suzuki did even worse in the SP than she did here and also had mistakes in the LP (and still beat Tuktamysheva in the LP).

Anyways, after watching the LPs a few more times, I'm starting to think that it wasn't Osmond overscored on PCS, it was Suzuki underscored on PCS (as usual, at Worlds last year she didn't even crack 60 for an inspired performance, and here again :disapp:).

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Just a reminder, Liza's pcs in Skate Canada 2011 were around 25+ in sp and 53+ in Lp.

Selene

On the Ice
I wish you would support each of your statements with some facts.

Somehow it was OK and exciting for Liza, a first time youngster from Russian, to win the same event last year.

I thought Elizaveta deserved her win at Skate Canada last season. She was clearly technically superior to her competitors. She won the event on TES. Her PCS score was low compared to some of the veteran skaters.

On the other hand, I thought Kaetlyn deserved second or third place at this year's Skate Canada. Akiko Suzuki clearly outpeformed her, but the judges held up the Canadian skater on PCS. I have never heard of a relatively unknown, newbie senior skater receiving the same PCS score as a reigning world medalist. And Osmond's presentation and skating skills are not on Suzuki's level, so the result just feels fraudulent to me.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Seriously!

But maybe it's not too late. Amelie LaCoste could be persuaded to do her patriotic duty and come up with an injury that knocks her out of Cup of China.

Or Skate Canada could lean on Great Britain to replace Jenna McCorkell in France.

Plus, there is Alissa Czisny's spot in NHK to go after.

they can actually, I am almost certain they will squeeze Osmond a spot in TEB
Osmond will beat Ashely, Julia and Liza and will score a world record in SP and FS :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Both ET and Osmond had the lead from the SP and Akiko ended up 2nd in both events, winning the LP from 4th and 5th position respectively. ET did win with a bigger margin but her PCS was close to Akiko's in the SP and two points lower in the LP whereas Osmond was close to Akiko's LP PCS and 1.6 points behind in the SP.

Akiko needs to improve her SPs.

Irishflip

On the Ice
they can actually, I am almost certain they will squeeze Osmond a spot in TEB
Osmond will beat Ashely, Julia and Liza and will score a world record in SP and FS :laugh:

Now, now. No making TEB harder on the ladies then it already is. Pretty sure if Osmond was also in there they'd have to hire therapists for rink-side treatment if one of the girls starts weeping uncontrollably during a practice or after a performance due to a slight bobble on a jump or a level 3 spin. :p

seniorita

Record Breaker
Both ET and Osmond had the lead from the SP and Akiko ended up 2nd in both events, winning the LP from 4th and 5th position respectively. ET did win with a bigger margin but her PCS was close to Akiko's in the SP and two points lower in the LP whereas Osmond was close to Akiko's LP PCS and 1.6 points behind in the SP.

Akiko needs to improve her SPs.

Akiko needs to be marked deservedly in pcs. She is no worse than Carolina Kostner for example, I think anyone who has seen Akiko live would see how special she is.

Elisaveta's pcs were not high during the season, they went higher as she started winning events but were surely not among the top skaters, and rightfully so. She certainly didnt win because of them.

If Liza had won on the pcs alone against Akiko it would have been just wrong as well.

gmyers

Record Breaker
In my view, Akiko was the clear winner and Osmond's score in the FS was way too high. In fact, I would have placed her 4th in the FS and just edging out Liza for the Bronze (Akiko, Kanako, and Liza were all undermarked). The Judging was a disgrace and I think the ISU should carry out an inquiry. Results like this jeopardise the credibility of the sport, and lessons need to be learned to prevent a repetition.

The Pcs score for Osmond was unusually good. Really to be treated better than he world silver medalist and previous skate Canada winner and everyone there is just not usual. Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges. You also see this in some wins of Patrick chan.

Liza also didn't win an event based pcs ever.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In my view, Akiko was the clear winner and Osmond's score in the FS was way too high. In fact, I would have placed her 4th in the FS and just edging out Liza for the Bronze (Akiko, Kanako, and Liza were all undermarked). The Judging was a disgrace and I think the ISU should carry out an inquiry. Results like this jeopardise the credibility of the sport, and lessons need to be learned to prevent a repetition.

I don't think results like these jeopardize the sport as much as we'd like to think. If they genuinely did jeopardize the ISU's ability to monetize these skaters, they'd do something about it (or more accurately, the cost-benefit analysis doesn't work in the ISU's favour).

Though, lets actually have one fact. Winning on PCS suggests that they lost on TES and were able to make up the difference on PCS. Which wasn't the case here. She won on both. You can argue she shouldn't have, of course.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The score for Osmond was unusually good. Really to be treated better than he world silver medalist and previous Kate Canada winner and everyone there is just not usual. Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges. You also see this in some wins of Patrick chan.

I read in one interview, the Canadian Feds get the most politicking and swaying when it comes to judges and scoring
I think they will be pushing Osmond to be the leading Gold female Olympic contender or at least close the gap with Yuna as she comes back in a
hope by beating most of the current skaters, Osmond will be a lock with a fight w/ Yuna for OGM

rain

Record Breaker
On the other hand, I thought Kaetlyn deserved second or third place at this year's Skate Canada. Akiko Suzuki clearly outpeformed her, but the judges held up the Canadian skater on PCS. I have never heard of a relatively unknown, newbie senior skater receiving the same PCS score as a reigning world medalist. And Osmond's presentation and skating skills are not on Suzuki's level, so the result just feels fraudulent to me.

What you're totally failing to acknowledge is the SP. Kaetlyn rightly had a lead over Suzuki after the short. Suzuki was 5th coming into the long. Suzuki won the long, but it wasn't quite enough to overcome Osmond's lead. Boo hoo.

Answering the title of the thread: Don't be ridiculous.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Figure skating is a 2 program event and Akiko unfortunately blew the SP, but great for her to come roaring back in the LP! The results show how important it is for these skaters to have a clean SP. Wishing Suzuki better luck in the SP next time! :)

This is right only in that skating is a 2 programs but leaves out osmonds extremely high pcs for who she is.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What you're totally failing to acknowledge is the SP. Kaetlyn rightly had a lead over Suzuki after the short. Suzuki was 5th coming into the long. Suzuki won the long, but it wasn't quite enough to overcome Osmond's lead. Boo hoo.

Answering the title of the thread: Don't be ridiculous.

People are talking about osmonds superiority to suzuki in pcs!!!

Figure skating is a 2 program event and Akiko unfortunately blew the SP, but great for her to come roaring back in the LP! The results show how important it is for these skaters to have a clean SP. Wishing Suzuki better luck in the SP next time! :)

It is important for Suzuki to skate a clean short program.

It is also important for the judges to score both the short and the long program conscientiously.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Osmond is a very promising young skater. But she is not the real winner of today's competition. Suzuki is. At best, Osmond's overall performance warranted Bronze. For some reason, this season Osmond has been getting very inflated PCS scores

Last edited:

fwsf

Rinkside
Something was up and it was the extreme and awesome power of the Canadian federation and its control over a lot of judges.

Wow ! How did the Canadian federation become so awesome ? Is this really true or just speculation ?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To answer the OP - no I don't, because I don't believe in the conspiracy. :unsure:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Osmond is a very promising young skater. But she is not the real winner of today's competition. Suzuki is. At best, Osmond's overall performance warranted Bronze. For some reason, this season Osmond has been getting very inflated PCS scores

But it says Osmond won in wikipedia!

Wow ! How did the Canadian federation become so awesome ? Is this really true or just speculation ?

a) It's the biggest skating federation in the world (according to it's own website).

b) The key designer of COP was Canadian, though the idea was kicking around after the wierdness of Euros 1997.

c) Skate Canada tends to be present at a lot of events to boost their skaters with the judges (this has been noted by both those "on the other side" and those who's bias is perhaps less vehement)

d) The new powerhouses with money (the Japanese, Chinese and Korean federations) are still NEW in the grand scheme of things.

Make no mistake, it's not the only example of a powerful federation in ISU history. The Soviet Union was notoriously powerful and corrupt, up to the point where the ISU suspended their judges for an entire season; 1993 was marred by similar controversies where judges were suspended from ice dance. But now, it does seem like Skate Canada wields a lot of influence on policy (witness the recent debacle re: qualifying rounds).