Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

Custom Title
    Here goes with an unpopular view:
    Watched this program again. I've decided it doesn't work for me and Tessa is the reason. She isn't Carmen, no way, no how. Katarina Witt could be a natural Carmen. Angelika Krylova could be a natural Carmen. Tessa looks like a bad Carmen act, technically competent to be sure, but the whole thing seems forced and yes, a bit burlesque. I don't see what the "modern" interpretation is supposed to be about--Modern costuming? Modern dance? Modern hairstyles? Compare this one to the 1998 Krylova/Ovsiannakov FD and the K/O looks and feels more "modern" to me than this 2012 version. This V/M version of Carmen is not making my world spin any faster on its axis. And I had such high hopes.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I don't see what the "modern" interpretation is supposed to be about--Modern costuming? Modern dance? Modern hairstyles?
    Modern dance.

Watched both Carmens and to be truthful I preferred C/L Carmen. Anna and Luca's program does not have
    the technical difficulty of V/M's Carmen but artistically I thought that C/L had the superior program.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Watched both Carmens and to be truthful I preferred C/L Carmen. Anna and Luca's program does not have
    the technical difficulty of V/M's Carmen but artistically I thought that C/L had the superior program.
    I felt the same way after watching both V/M's and C/L's program. Granted that I watched C/L's program first on youtube, my initial plan was to save the best for last (V/M's program), I could not help but feel a little underwhelmed at V/M's free program.

C/L embodied the characters and the drama better than V/M. If V/M wanted to take a more modern approach to Carmen then ok, that's not a problem with me. However, in my eyes they failed to excite me and at some points I became a little bored. Of course this is my opinion and not everyone may feel the same way ... I just think that while V/M may have the intensity that is needed for this kind of music, they still are lacking another factor that is on the tip of my tongue.

Also, whenever I think of Carmen, I immediately think of passion and the color 'red.' It would not hurt if Tessa incorporated some red into her costume ...

Custom Title
    Someone on another board commented that Tessa looked more like Kristen Stewart than ever. In the KnC, with the heavy black eye makeup, she DID look like a vampire.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Someone on another board commented that Tessa looked more like Kristen Stewart than ever. In the KnC, with the heavy black eye makeup, she DID look like a vampire.
    ha ha you're right. of course Tessa is much prettier. anyway...my opinion: they got through it. I expect it to be a good program later in the year when they skate it with confience and passion but you could see them thinking through it...Tessa's stumbing out of the diagonal step sequence, the fumble on the lift/choreo in the middle, that final lift looked like it took all of Scott's strength. I was much more impressed by the practice version, oddly enough usually I find that I am, maybe I just like seeing her beautiful dance body lines which were masked by the long skirt and boots (please wear over the boot tights if you are wearing that long full skirt!)

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    ha ha you're right. of course Tessa is much prettier. anyway...my opinion: they got through it. I expect it to be a good program later in the year when they skate it with confience and passion but you could see them thinking through it...Tessa's stumbing out of the diagonal step sequence, the fumble on the lift/choreo in the middle, that final lift looked like it took all of Scott's strength. I was much more impressed by the practice version, oddly enough usually I find that I am, maybe I just like seeing her beautiful dance body lines which were masked by the long skirt and boots (please wear over the boot tights if you are wearing that long full skirt!)
    Ugh. I can't stand over-the-boot tights. They look like a blade is growing out of one's foot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    OMG, I was thinking the same way, vampire. I don't like this program. The lifts look difficult and unique, but the costume, makeup, mood, even choreography are all strange. With the music muted, nobody would even remotely think they are skating to Carmen, not even Spanish. I love V/M but these programs does not seem to cut it. JMHO.

Custom Title
    V&M's FD was certainly better than their SD. I think it was way over-hyped to be this incredible Carmen masterpiece and of course, although good, the program was not nearly a masterpiece. So disappointment follows, except from their devoted fans. I did like the beginning and it had a lot of drama, and some good skating, but I didn't care for many of their lifts, difficult yes, especially the one where Tessa slides in between his legs. The last two lifts, also difficult, but made no sense to me at all if you follow the storyline. I suspect they will do some major revisions when they have a little more time.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    V&M's FD was certainly better than their SD. I think it was way over-hyped to be this incredible Carmen masterpiece and of course, although good, the program was not nearly a masterpiece. So disappointment follows, except from their devoted fans. I did like the beginning and it had a lot of drama, and some good skating, but I didn't care for many of their lifts, difficult yes, especially the one where Tessa slides in between his legs. The last two lifts, also difficult, but made no sense to me at all if you follow the storyline. I suspect they will do some major revisions when they have a little more time.
    I think the program certainly has the bones to be a masterpiece. It needs some polishing for sure, but come Worlds, I think it will be excellent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    I think the program certainly has the bones to be a masterpiece. It needs some polishing for sure, but come Worlds, I think it will be excellent.
    Have to agree, except I already think it is excellent. Unique, striking, a total change of pace for Virtue and Moir. Never seen anything similar to the lifts they did. Surprised there is so much negativity here, but different opinions make the world go 'round.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Have to agree, except I already think it is excellent. Unique, striking, a total change of pace for Virtue and Moir. Never seen anything similar to the lifts they did. Surprised there is so much negativity here, but different opinions make the world go 'round.
    I loved this at first sight too. It took me awhile to warm up to their Funny Face program last year, but this one is an instant hit with me. I love the movement, I love the lifts, I love the darker persona that Tessa embodies wonderfully. And I admit I was skeptical and groaned a little when I read that they were going to do Carmen — some of the most used music in figure skating. But they've made it fresh and exciting.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    I felt the same way after watching both V/M's and C/L's program. Granted that I watched C/L's program first on youtube, my initial plan was to save the best for last (V/M's program), I could not help but feel a little underwhelmed at V/M's free program.

C/L embodied the characters and the drama better than V/M. If V/M wanted to take a more modern approach to Carmen then ok, that's not a problem with me. However, in my eyes they failed to excite me and at some points I became a little bored. Of course this is my opinion and not everyone may feel the same way ... I just think that while V/M may have the intensity that is needed for this kind of music, they still are lacking another factor that is on the tip of my tongue.
    I watched in reverse order. C/L seemed to be very much inspired by the ballet, Carmen, and I very much appreciated the way in which they seemed to tell the story through the program, all their music cuts were in order of the way in which they are played in the opera/ballet. V/M seemed just to take the music (not the best cuts of it i might add) and almost tell their own story to it. obviously the ending when she kills him is a reversal of the actual plot. that's fine, and it could still be great, but right now it isn't.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    Modern dance.
    Present, no classic Carmen. Modern means everything that is mentioned.

I'm not a big fan of V / M, always bothered me that same note - sweet love life. The free dance hit me! It is absolutely breathtaking, unexpected, choreographed perfectly mastered accentuated the music, well captivity (please just a little more natural emotion and an expression for Scott).

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Again, I don't like V/M's lift that made Tessa sit right at Scott's face, and for that long time!
    That was the best part of the whole freaking program.

I definitely prefer Davis/White so far this year.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast