Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST) | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

nylynnr

On the Ice
I think the program certainly has the bones to be a masterpiece. It needs some polishing for sure, but come Worlds, I think it will be excellent.

Have to agree, except I already think it is excellent. Unique, striking, a total change of pace for Virtue and Moir. Never seen anything similar to the lifts they did. Surprised there is so much negativity here, but different opinions make the world go 'round.

rain

Record Breaker
Have to agree, except I already think it is excellent. Unique, striking, a total change of pace for Virtue and Moir. Never seen anything similar to the lifts they did. Surprised there is so much negativity here, but different opinions make the world go 'round.

I loved this at first sight too. It took me awhile to warm up to their Funny Face program last year, but this one is an instant hit with me. I love the movement, I love the lifts, I love the darker persona that Tessa embodies wonderfully. And I admit I was skeptical and groaned a little when I read that they were going to do Carmen — some of the most used music in figure skating. But they've made it fresh and exciting.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I felt the same way after watching both V/M's and C/L's program. Granted that I watched C/L's program first on youtube, my initial plan was to save the best for last (V/M's program), I could not help but feel a little underwhelmed at V/M's free program.

C/L embodied the characters and the drama better than V/M. If V/M wanted to take a more modern approach to Carmen then ok, that's not a problem with me. However, in my eyes they failed to excite me and at some points I became a little bored. Of course this is my opinion and not everyone may feel the same way ... I just think that while V/M may have the intensity that is needed for this kind of music, they still are lacking another factor that is on the tip of my tongue.

I watched in reverse order. C/L seemed to be very much inspired by the ballet, Carmen, and I very much appreciated the way in which they seemed to tell the story through the program, all their music cuts were in order of the way in which they are played in the opera/ballet. V/M seemed just to take the music (not the best cuts of it i might add) and almost tell their own story to it. obviously the ending when she kills him is a reversal of the actual plot. that's fine, and it could still be great, but right now it isn't.

monikawi

Rinkside
Modern dance.

Present, no classic Carmen. Modern means everything that is mentioned.

I'm not a big fan of V / M, always bothered me that same note - sweet love life. The free dance hit me! :love: It is absolutely breathtaking, unexpected, choreographed perfectly mastered accentuated the music, well captivity (please just a little more natural emotion and an expression for Scott).

Big Deal

Final Flight
I've sen it live and now second time on youtube.
The wow factor is there. Unique, interesting. Needs time to be understood by everyone, which is also a positive fact.
Some of the music cut is a bit March-like with a little bit too much drum in it to strenghten the unusalness. This is a brand new story of an "Addam-family-like vampire woman" who cares only herself and make the MAN the victim. That how it is in real life.
Did you ever think about the life ot the torreador AFTER he killed Carmen? Now, I think HERE it is ! A lots of transcendency included not "only prettyness".
It looks to me like the memories of the torreador waiting the execution in the jail.

The technical stumbles was very obvious one's by Tessa on the day, hurting te points but didn't distract the clever, unique concept.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I was blown away by it. I loved that they didn't go for a classical look, and I did see the modern elements in it. Much of the movement between the elements seemed to be inspired by modern dance (At least as far as I could tell. I have a background in jazz and some experience dancing Contemporary, but am not a dance expert by any means.) Some of you had mentioned that without the music, you would never know that they were skating to Carmen. That was precicely why I loved it. It wasn't the typical cookie cutter Carmen (which was more along the lines of what C/L presented, I thought), but they were still able to bring across the passion of the story. Granted, Tessa's stumble knocked the wind out of them technically and artistically for the last third of the program, but I expect once they get it all polished and skate it clean, it will be breathtaking from start to finish. Good for them for trying something new.

bladz123

Rinkside
WOW! This program is the best of the season, the most difficult they or any have tried. The timing, the lifts, the step sequences are so difficult but perfect to. There were minor things to fix but they have tried to do a program that is full of challenges. I love it ! The othe teams float asround holding hands skating miles apart, these 2 weave around each other so close and always like a dance team not a pair team. Good for you T&S this will be a signature along with 2010 fd and the waltz fd....but none of those were ever this difficult.

I also enjoyed C&L but unforntunate skating order made them look junior and skating inhand and hand for too much time. Put them in the penultimate group at worlds and this program has better impact. I may also be crazy but I think the Russians have improved and I liked Madison as well. Piper and Paul are strong but right ow it is just technical not enough smooth controlled movements. It was fun but T&S stuff this years is miles ahead of everyone including Davis and White...

Ravensque

On the Ice
I loved this program......the best they've done to date and it shows their maturity and connection to the fullest. It is such a difficult program that it will take a bit more time to settle, and they will probably tweek it as they go along, but what a great start for them.;)

emma

Record Breaker
I can't wait to learn more about V/M FD - a number of commentators (in other languages than English) raved about it, and appartently some have pointed out the 'modern dance' elements or style. So, for me, I'm excited about what I might learn as the season progresses. But, just on that gut reaction kind of note, this FD is one of the few programs form this competition that I have already watched multiple times and want to watch again.

To be clear, I quite enjoyed a lot of the programs from this comp, but for many of them was either satisfied upon one viewing or more like: it will get better and I will watch it again then! But there is something in V/M's FD that has me captivated and so, my hat is off to them.

There are a number of images/photos from gettyimages that I find stunning:
http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...ott-moir-of-canada-skate-news-photo/154842038
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00961uCd3F4ER/x350.jpg

And there are many more if you just scroll through...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay just watched both Carmens. I can see why V/M won -- their program was definitely more challenging than C/L. I like C/L's lifts but I feel a lot of them are watered down versions of similar lifts that D/W does or have done in the past. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but it does give me an idea of why V/M deserved the win. That said, I did like C/L's energy in this dance and I think this will be a good program that highlights their charisma.

That said, I'm not in love with V/M's FD yet, though I see how it can be something quite special later in the season. I really dislike their lifts, though I acknowledge how challenging they are and I can see how they go with the music. But I just don't understand how a team with such beautiful lines like them end up with such odd-positioned lifts. I'm not sold on Tessa's "vampire Carmen" yet, but I admire they are trying something new with Carmen, like Davis and White is doing with Giselle and the polka.

Looking at D&W vs V&M....it's going to be close once again. Comparing the two FDs, V/M won on BV by a point. D/W won in +GOE (10.46 vs. 9.7). D/W got higher PCS, but I think that is a bit more subjective, so I don't care to use this as a qualifier.

One thing is clear that I agree that their tech is suffering a bit due to Shipland's departure. Both teams are actually lower than B/S, which is a bit surprising this early in the season given B/S tendency to miss levels. However, both teams' execution is solid, and that is where their margin is coming from right now. But both teams will need to get those level 4 elements later in the season if want to boost their current scores and not open the door for the teams below them.

fwsf

Rinkside
V/M's Carmen is definitely a different take on Carmen which is more true to the original opera story line. Carmen is not a victim in bright red dress, she is the Temptress/Bad Girl who got killed at the end. She seduced the guy, ruined his career, dumped him for a richer guy, got killed by the jilted lover and sent him to jail probably the death penalty. All very dark and Tessa's black dress is so appropriate. This is love/hate stuff, a step up for V/M from the 'connection' that D/W tried to emulate with their FD this year.

Also I did not see any crotch touching as reported by a few posters, inner thigh touching for sure. C/L did that too, he touching her. So did Krylova and her move was even more explicit. May not be PG but seems like a standard move for Carmen ice dance routines. I like the moves, very sensual and not gratuitous at all.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I find the ending of the program intriguing. He collapses instead of she, who stands defiantly and in control. She is the triumphant one in the end.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Also I did not see any crotch touching as reported by a few posters, inner thigh touching for sure. C/L did that too, he touching her. So did Krylova and her move was even more explicit. May not be PG but seems like a standard move for Carmen ice dance routines. I like the moves, very sensual and not gratuitous at all.

Yeah, I wasn't seeing what was so "explicit" about it either. I may be quite desensitized to that sort of thing by now, but there weren't really any moves that made me go, "Whoa, yikes!" Nor did it seem they relied on sexuality to keep your attention or generate intensity.

Not the best performance, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of this program.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Poirier arent even competive with the #3 Russian team. So much for the people suggesting they were going to be a threat to Weaver & Poje this season, lol!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you ever think about the life ot the torreador AFTER he killed Carmen? Now, I think HERE it is ! A lots of transcendency included not "only prettyness".
It looks to me like the memories of the torreador waiting the execution in the jail.

Uh---the toreador did not kill Carmen. The toreador Escamillo is Carmen's new boyfriend. Carmen's OLD boyfriend, army deserter Don Jose, killed Carmen out of jealousy because Carmen ditched him for the toreador.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Uh---the toreador did not kill Carmen. The toreador Escamillo is Carmen's new boyfriend. Carmen's OLD boyfriend, army deserter Don Jose, killed Carmen out of jealousy because Carmen ditched him for the toreador.

You are so very right.
But did you take the meaning of my message?
It seems to me that Zueva has imagined the vision of Don Jose waiting his penatly (maybe execution) in the jail and thinking back the past, how Carmen won over him, making him losing his controll over his own life.....
That can be a reason of the demon-like image and the black-and-white contrast of the ice and costume ( memories are usually mentioned black-and-white in many movies as well.)

Last edited by a moderator: