Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST) | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Alexandra Stevenson reports that Tessa vomited after the dance was over. Pretty impressive performance all things considered.

Last edited:

gioccia

On the Ice
Wasn't impressed with all the top three. This season I liked only one SP of BS. No other SP and FD. I think VM and DW are not as good as they used to be,,,

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alexandra Stevenson reports that Tessa vomited after the dance was over. Pretty impressive performance all things considered.

In reply to a question at the post-FD press conference, Virtue said that she had felt fine during their skate -- although she acknowledged that a bout of sickness hit her (I'm paraphrasing - don't recall her exact words) during the medal ceremony.
V/M's performance was impressive all the same. :)

all that

Final Flight
The last two lifts, also difficult, but made no sense to me at all if you follow the storyline. I suspect they will do some major revisions when they have a little more time.

What storyline are you following? Because the last two lifts made sense to me. The first of the last two is during the "romantic" portion where they are both in love with each other and enjoying that love. The straight line I think is a take off of this lift in the Roland Petit ballet: http://operanut.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/06-Carmen-Scene-3-PasEndingPose.jpg

The last rotational lift is where Carmen and Don Jose are fighting, each trying to be dominant, with Carmen trying to remain free rather than subjugated by Don Jose. The lift is exactly what everyone thinks it is: Carmen jumps on his face, trying to be dominant; he obliges so well that she falls into an orgasm, and the struggle continues.

Of course, this is just how I saw it. I'm sure everyone is seeing the program in their own way. ;)

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
More generally, I think the ISU does not understand why people watch sports. The ISU has turned skating in a ever more Baroque direction. More layers of ornamentation, more nuanced embellishment. Less guts and glue.[/url]

Well I'd quote the whole thing but that would be overkill. Though I agree with every word of it.

Ice dance in particular seems prone to what you call an "ever more Baroque direction" (I'd call it rococo, but let's not quibble, shall we? :)). I'm old enough to remember the period right AFTER T/D's Bolero, when it seemed like every other ice dance couple was going for UberDrama! to the point where officials had to ban the dramatic flop to the ice program ending move.

One of the reasons I think ice dancing has been so thrilling the last couple of years is because it moved away from the traumadrama and toward a more complicated athleticism. And as much as I loved W/P's angstfest last year (those lifts--talk about thrillin!), it was still an angstfest. And that gets tired real fast, because most couples quite frankly are athletes and not actors.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh--about V/M's Carmen...well it's a definite step up from the prefab sentimental schmaltz of FF, but I don't think it goes far enough in terms of using a modern dance vocabulary. Right now it's just another example of embellishment and ornamentation. But hey, YMMV. And it's still early. Though that final lift was atrocious.

Last edited:

taikwan

On the Ice
Did not like V/M's Carmen. Nor her costume but I did think their skate was really good - just didn't care for the interpretation and I agree, Tessa isn't Carmen and actually I'm glad about that. Wish they would have chosen a different theme, idea. All this drama seems so Russian but perhaps that's the intention. Russia is hosting some mighty big events in this year and next.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
All this drama seems so Russian but perhaps that's the intention. Russia is hosting some mighty big events in this year and next.
Which drama? Carmen or "that final lift was atrocious" or what? You lost me. :confused:

Unless you meant that all successful Carmens were done in ice-dancing by Russians. With that I agree. :)

all that

Final Flight
Oh--about V/M's Carmen...well it's a definite step up from the prefab sentimental schmaltz of FF, but I don't think it goes far enough in terms of using a modern dance vocabulary. Right now it's just another example of embellishment and ornamentation.

I'm betting they would have put in more if the ice dance rule requirements weren't so stringent. There's only so much you can do when there are limited ways to gain points.

Did not like V/M's Carmen. Nor her costume but I did think their skate was really good - just didn't care for the interpretation and I agree, Tessa isn't Carmen and actually I'm glad about that. Wish they would have chosen a different theme, idea. All this drama seems so Russian but perhaps that's the intention. Russia is hosting some mighty big events in this year and next.

I think that is definitely the intention. V/M have never won the GPF, and they want to win another Olympic gold. This type of program is a good choice for winning certain audiences over.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
V/M have never won the GPF, and they want to win another Olympic gold. This type of program is a good choice for winning certain audiences over.
You should read some Russian boards more carefully. Google translator might be a help. Don't ask me to translate what people wrote there about this Carmen. :laugh:

emdee

Final Flight
Yes and there are some respected russian commentators who have said wonderful things about the V&M Carmen. I think you really have to see the program a couple of times to get into it.

Also Olys are close so there is big push in Russia for I&K to move up the rankings.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
there are some respected russian commentators who have said wonderful things about the V&M Carmen.
:confused: Who? I was watching Sport on tvteak (Asahi TV doesn't show dances and pairs) and I don't remember any "wow!" particular.
I think you really have to see the program a couple of times to get into it.
As if you can know how may times I have watched it. No need to get personal and patronize the opponent. Besides all technical mistakes (and yet super high GOE :laugh:), low speed and heaviness, especially of Tessa, there are a lot of other things that don't correspond to any idea of "wonderful" to my mind. It's dull, not interesting, false and forced in emotions, the music arrange is just desperate- long and sleepy, then suddenly the faster part to end the whole thing. Could be an average dance of dancers below 5th place in ranking if V/M didn't have OGM and other titles. IMO all this so-called unusualness of the dance was created to hide the poor technique and health issue that they have to deal now.

emdee

Final Flight
Lets talk. To each his own....

Lets agree to disagree. I am not one who disrespects other's positions even if I disagree with them.

Last edited:

CAS

On the Ice
You should read some Russian boards more carefully. Google translator might be a help. Don't ask me to translate what people wrote there about this Carmen. :laugh:

I´ve read a few. Some love it, some hate it, pretty much the same thing you see here and on other boards.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The coverage on TSN of Skate Canada this week has been lousy. I'm watching the Gala right now and they omitted to show Gilles & Poirier, even though they are a Canadian team and even though they finished 4th. Instead they chose to show Hubbell & Donahue who are American and who finished 5th. Why? They pulled this same stunt in the Ice Dance Free over the weekend. Why weren't G&P shown?

Skatie

On the Ice
The coverage on TSN of Skate Canada this week has been lousy. I'm watching the Gala right now and they omitted to show Gilles & Poirier, even though they are a Canadian team and even though they finished 4th. Instead they chose to show Hubbell & Donahue who are American and who finished 5th. Why? They pulled this same stunt in the Ice Dance Free over the weekend. Why weren't G&P shown?

I am also really disappointed in TSN. G&P have a great gala number which audience loved yet they chose to show lower ranked teams and skaters from outside Canada. G&P actually train in Canada! Canadian TV should be playing up the Talent that lives and trains here in Canada yet they continue to gab non stop about the Detroit-based teams. Those teams are worthy of being featured, but so are the teams based in Canada. There are several training areas in Canada like Vancouver, Scarborough and Quebec that all raise skaters from juvenile right up...time to give these teams and their coaches some credit and focus!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The link gave an Error, that the page is either removed, or renamed, or the address is wrong:

"Ошибка! Запрашиваемая вами страница не найдена на портале "СПОРТ-ЭКСПРЕСС".

Возможно, вы неправильно набрали адрес страницы, или данная страница была удалена с сервера, или переименована."