Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find that was just a transition of the lift, nothing like what used to be common in Ice Dance when the man held a women doing an upside down spread eagle in his face.

I remember that particular hold. That lift was subsequently banned by the ISU.

I just saw a lack of security in V/M's FD---there were a couple of stumbles by Tessa, and some of the transitions in and out of lifts were labored and a little awkward. I thought they were overscored, considering the flaws. But this is Skate Canada, and home ice does have its advantages.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 169.41 Free Dance
2. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 160.06 Free Dance
3. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA & Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 143.39 Free Dance
4. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 136.74 Free Dance
5. Madison HUBBELL & Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 135.16 Free Dance
6. Julia ZLOBINA & Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 132.80 Free Dance
7. Pernelle CARRON & Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 130.75 Free Dance
8. Kharis RALPH & Asher HILL (CAN) - 126.60

Added Zlobina's & Sitnikov's and Carron & Hills FD

Last edited:

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Really? You don't think that upside down lift is challenging? You don't think the use of contemporary staccato movements in the footwork is different for them? You don't think going for something this dark and violent challenges them? I disagree, obviously.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I didn't see anything different there. It was very run of the mill Carmen in my opinion.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure that I saw steamy either and wasn't really feeling 'the modern' in this (but that's ok, I don't need it to be modern, and I sort of found the "NOT red" dress fascinating) - I mean the opening is like MM said, burlesque. I think I like it, however. It was intense and it did captivate me. I think I felt confused after what I think is the second lift, where Tessa is in a kind of handstand and Scott in a spread eagle - which was cool; but two different cuts of music follow this and I felt myself loosing what before that I felt was some sort of intuitive grasp of the program and where it was going. But, congrats to them, I did enjoy seeing it very much.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think a lot of folks - like me - who are complaining were really looking forward to their "modern take" on a classic... THEY put that thought in people's heads...

there's nothing modern much less unique about what they're doing when it comes to Carmen. :disapp:

meem

On the Ice
I'm sorry. Am I just old? What smoldering sex? Do you mean the opening move where Tessa mimes pulling Scott around by his [crotch]? That's not steamy, that's burlesque.

Sheesh, Mathman...ya makin' me blush! But I agree. I just don't understand all the hoopla over V&M these days. Poor old Davis & White are supposed to be trying to emulate V&M's "connection" and getting nothing but derision (deservedly so with their belated "embrace"). But IMO, V&M's "connection" has always been nothing more than Virtue staring forlornly at Moir as they skate to center ice. I thought the Italians' "Carmen" had more drama (but less technical expertise)...and I'm not tired of this beautiful music; don't care how many skaters have used it. If you know what you're doing with the music while out on the ice, it makes no difference how often the music has been used IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorita

Record Breaker
V/M Carmen made me sat and watch, it was different to any other cute or dramatic Carmen I ve seen lately, it was like Pina of S/S, original.
But I liked C/L program too, they both look gorgeous there.

emma

Record Breaker
I think a lot of folks - like me - who are complaining were really looking forward to their "modern take" on a classic... THEY put that thought in people's heads...

there's nothing modern much less unique about what they're doing when it comes to Carmen. :disapp:

although i might well change my mind, I largely agree with you that it isn't 'modern' or that unique - but, i do feel, but reaction, that aside from the part I failed to follow or understand well, that it is well put together. And again, it did really captivate me. But then, they always grab my attention....

rain

Record Breaker
I love Virtue and Moir's Carmen program. I can totally see the modern dance movements and think they are incorporated very successfully and give the program uniqueness and interest. I am so excited by this program. I can't wait to see this later in the season with more miles. Tessa is incredibly intense in this and I love it. Brilliant. Add this to their very long list of signature pieces. Wow!

claphappy

On the Ice
I'm sorry. Am I just old? What smoldering sex? Do you mean the opening move where Tessa mimes pulling Scott around by his crotch? That's not steamy, that's burlesque.

I did like their side by side hambones, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_hphfT1rQ&feature=plcp#t=3m29s

This is how I feel. The hambones part was the only part that looked "modern" instead of just super sexualized. I actually don't have much of a problem with any one thing they did, but all of it together is just gratuitous. If they're trying to be sexy, I find that generally subtlety is sexier than blatancy. I think it's odd that they felt they had to be so obvious about it in order to be sexy, because their chemistry is so great that, at least I think, they could just use that.

Oh, and modern =/= sexy.

edit: All that said, I can TOTALLY see myself liking this program if they changed it & I predict that by the end of the season it will be very good. Hopefully with more hambone & less crotch.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Here goes with an unpopular view:
Watched this program again. I've decided it doesn't work for me and Tessa is the reason. She isn't Carmen, no way, no how. Katarina Witt could be a natural Carmen. Angelika Krylova could be a natural Carmen. Tessa looks like a bad Carmen act, technically competent to be sure, but the whole thing seems forced and yes, a bit burlesque. I don't see what the "modern" interpretation is supposed to be about--Modern costuming? Modern dance? Modern hairstyles? Compare this one to the 1998 Krylova/Ovsiannakov FD and the K/O looks and feels more "modern" to me than this 2012 version. This V/M version of Carmen is not making my world spin any faster on its axis. And I had such high hopes.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Watched both Carmens and to be truthful I preferred C/L Carmen. Anna and Luca's program does not have
the technical difficulty of V/M's Carmen but artistically I thought that C/L had the superior program.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Watched both Carmens and to be truthful I preferred C/L Carmen. Anna and Luca's program does not have
the technical difficulty of V/M's Carmen but artistically I thought that C/L had the superior program.

I felt the same way after watching both V/M's and C/L's program. Granted that I watched C/L's program first on youtube, my initial plan was to save the best for last (V/M's program), I could not help but feel a little underwhelmed at V/M's free program.

C/L embodied the characters and the drama better than V/M. If V/M wanted to take a more modern approach to Carmen then ok, that's not a problem with me. However, in my eyes they failed to excite me and at some points I became a little bored. Of course this is my opinion and not everyone may feel the same way ... I just think that while V/M may have the intensity that is needed for this kind of music, they still are lacking another factor that is on the tip of my tongue.

Also, whenever I think of Carmen, I immediately think of passion and the color 'red.' It would not hurt if Tessa incorporated some red into her costume ...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone on another board commented that Tessa looked more like Kristen Stewart than ever. In the KnC, with the heavy black eye makeup, she DID look like a vampire.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Someone on another board commented that Tessa looked more like Kristen Stewart than ever. In the KnC, with the heavy black eye makeup, she DID look like a vampire.

ha ha you're right. of course Tessa is much prettier. anyway...my opinion: they got through it. I expect it to be a good program later in the year when they skate it with confience and passion but you could see them thinking through it...Tessa's stumbing out of the diagonal step sequence, the fumble on the lift/choreo in the middle, that final lift looked like it took all of Scott's strength. I was much more impressed by the practice version, oddly enough usually I find that I am, maybe I just like seeing her beautiful dance body lines which were masked by the long skirt and boots (please wear over the boot tights if you are wearing that long full skirt!)

all that

Final Flight
ha ha you're right. of course Tessa is much prettier. anyway...my opinion: they got through it. I expect it to be a good program later in the year when they skate it with confience and passion but you could see them thinking through it...Tessa's stumbing out of the diagonal step sequence, the fumble on the lift/choreo in the middle, that final lift looked like it took all of Scott's strength. I was much more impressed by the practice version, oddly enough usually I find that I am, maybe I just like seeing her beautiful dance body lines which were masked by the long skirt and boots (please wear over the boot tights if you are wearing that long full skirt!)

Ugh. I can't stand over-the-boot tights. They look like a blade is growing out of one's foot.

Ilvskating

Final Flight

OMG, I was thinking the same way, vampire. I don't like this program. The lifts look difficult and unique, but the costume, makeup, mood, even choreography are all strange. With the music muted, nobody would even remotely think they are skating to Carmen, not even Spanish. I love V/M but these programs does not seem to cut it. JMHO.

KKonas

Medalist
V&M's FD was certainly better than their SD. I think it was way over-hyped to be this incredible Carmen masterpiece and of course, although good, the program was not nearly a masterpiece. So disappointment follows, except from their devoted fans. I did like the beginning and it had a lot of drama, and some good skating, but I didn't care for many of their lifts, difficult yes, especially the one where Tessa slides in between his legs. The last two lifts, also difficult, but made no sense to me at all if you follow the storyline. I suspect they will do some major revisions when they have a little more time.

all that

Final Flight
V&M's FD was certainly better than their SD. I think it was way over-hyped to be this incredible Carmen masterpiece and of course, although good, the program was not nearly a masterpiece. So disappointment follows, except from their devoted fans. I did like the beginning and it had a lot of drama, and some good skating, but I didn't care for many of their lifts, difficult yes, especially the one where Tessa slides in between his legs. The last two lifts, also difficult, but made no sense to me at all if you follow the storyline. I suspect they will do some major revisions when they have a little more time.

I think the program certainly has the bones to be a masterpiece. It needs some polishing for sure, but come Worlds, I think it will be excellent.