Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

Custom Title
    Wasn't overly impressed with either Carmen. I am a fan of V/M but not sure if the role of Carmen suits Tessa and I didn't like the costumes, they still got a big score though. I thought C/L was going to push them in the free but it wasn't close. I like R/T but it would be good for them to change styles, I think they are vunerable as Russian No. 3's, will they get to Euros and worlds?

Two comps in to the Senior GP and I would say my favourite routines are W/P and B/S.
    Last edited by 3T3T; 10-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta25 View Post
    Weaver /Poje teamed up in the 2006/2007 season, so it was in their second season,where they placed 6th at their first Senior Grand Prix(Skate Canada 2007).Both came just up from juniors and neither of them had the experience and success Paul Poirier already had.
    Oops! Sorry for the error; thanks for correcting me!

Custom Title
    I think V/M program has had a very promising opening, but lacked climation at near the end, not quite deliver. Maybe it was just because it's the season debute.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think V/M program has had a very promising opening, but lacked climation at near the end, not quite deliver. Maybe it was just because it's the season debute.
    I think it was that and the couple of errors at the end that took the wind out of the sails a bit (not entirely, I could still see the promise of what it can be).

Custom Title
    www.iceskatingintnl.com has some interesting articles/analysis on the "Carmens" one by Sonia Bianchetti, one by Alexandra Stevenson and one by George Rossano.

Custom Title
    Alexandra Stevenson reports that Tessa vomited after the dance was over. Pretty impressive performance all things considered.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 10-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Wasn't impressed with all the top three. This season I liked only one SP of BS. No other SP and FD. I think VM and DW are not as good as they used to be,,,

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Alexandra Stevenson reports that Tessa vomited after the dance was over. Pretty impressive performance all things considered.
    In reply to a question at the post-FD press conference, Virtue said that she had felt fine during their skate -- although she acknowledged that a bout of sickness hit her (I'm paraphrasing - don't recall her exact words) during the medal ceremony.
    V/M's performance was impressive all the same.

Custom Title
    My favourite was the C/L Carmen, I really loved it.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    The last two lifts, also difficult, but made no sense to me at all if you follow the storyline. I suspect they will do some major revisions when they have a little more time.
    What storyline are you following? Because the last two lifts made sense to me. The first of the last two is during the "romantic" portion where they are both in love with each other and enjoying that love. The straight line I think is a take off of this lift in the Roland Petit ballet: http://operanut.net/wp-content/uploa...EndingPose.jpg

The last rotational lift is where Carmen and Don Jose are fighting, each trying to be dominant, with Carmen trying to remain free rather than subjugated by Don Jose. The lift is exactly what everyone thinks it is: Carmen jumps on his face, trying to be dominant; he obliges so well that she falls into an orgasm, and the struggle continues.

Of course, this is just how I saw it. I'm sure everyone is seeing the program in their own way.
    Last edited by all that; 10-30-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    More generally, I think the ISU does not understand why people watch sports. The ISU has turned skating in a ever more Baroque direction. More layers of ornamentation, more nuanced embellishment. Less guts and glue.[/url]
    Well I'd quote the whole thing but that would be overkill. Though I agree with every word of it.

Ice dance in particular seems prone to what you call an "ever more Baroque direction" (I'd call it rococo, but let's not quibble, shall we? ). I'm old enough to remember the period right AFTER T/D's Bolero, when it seemed like every other ice dance couple was going for UberDrama! to the point where officials had to ban the dramatic flop to the ice program ending move.

One of the reasons I think ice dancing has been so thrilling the last couple of years is because it moved away from the traumadrama and toward a more complicated athleticism. And as much as I loved W/P's angstfest last year (those lifts--talk about thrillin!), it was still an angstfest. And that gets tired real fast, because most couples quite frankly are athletes and not actors.

Custom Title
    Oh--about V/M's Carmen...well it's a definite step up from the prefab sentimental schmaltz of FF, but I don't think it goes far enough in terms of using a modern dance vocabulary. Right now it's just another example of embellishment and ornamentation. But hey, YMMV. And it's still early. Though that final lift was atrocious.
    Last edited by WeakAnkles; 10-30-2012 at 11:42 PM.

On the Ice
    Did not like V/M's Carmen. Nor her costume but I did think their skate was really good - just didn't care for the interpretation and I agree, Tessa isn't Carmen and actually I'm glad about that. Wish they would have chosen a different theme, idea. All this drama seems so Russian but perhaps that's the intention. Russia is hosting some mighty big events in this year and next.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by taikwan View Post
    All this drama seems so Russian but perhaps that's the intention. Russia is hosting some mighty big events in this year and next.
    Which drama? Carmen or "that final lift was atrocious" or what? You lost me.

Unless you meant that all successful Carmens were done in ice-dancing by Russians. With that I agree.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Oh--about V/M's Carmen...well it's a definite step up from the prefab sentimental schmaltz of FF, but I don't think it goes far enough in terms of using a modern dance vocabulary. Right now it's just another example of embellishment and ornamentation.
    I'm betting they would have put in more if the ice dance rule requirements weren't so stringent. There's only so much you can do when there are limited ways to gain points.

Quote Originally Posted by taikwan View Post
    Did not like V/M's Carmen. Nor her costume but I did think their skate was really good - just didn't care for the interpretation and I agree, Tessa isn't Carmen and actually I'm glad about that. Wish they would have chosen a different theme, idea. All this drama seems so Russian but perhaps that's the intention. Russia is hosting some mighty big events in this year and next.
    I think that is definitely the intention. V/M have never won the GPF, and they want to win another Olympic gold. This type of program is a good choice for winning certain audiences over.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast