Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

Custom Title
    Again, I don't like V/M's lift that made Tessa sit right at Scott's face, and for that long time!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Since when have Virtue and Moir been known for being steamy? Most of the complaints I've heard about them are how they can't do drama and how they aren't versatile because they only can do innocent young love types of dances. This FD completely blows that assertion out of the water.
    Rhumba 2011 FD and 2010 OD were quite steamy. But I think they were more "dance oriented" programs. Carmen is definitely more dramatic & MUCH more steamy.

I just dont get what is so new or modern about their Carmen. They have only themselves to blame for my high expectations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Again, I don't like V/M's lift that made Tessa sit right at Scott's face, and for that long time!
    I find that was just a transition of the lift, nothing like what used to be common in Ice Dance when the man held a women doing an upside down spread eagle in his face.

I'm sorry. Am I just old? What smoldering sex? Do you mean the opening move where Tessa mimes pulling Scott around by his crotch? That's not steamy, that's burlesque.

I did like their side by side hambones, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_hp...e=plcp#t=3m29s
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-27-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    How are V/M challenging themselves? The pogram is apparently "hot steamy and romantic", a description that is used time and time again for this team. I didn't see anything all that different or challenging in that program.
    Really? You don't think that upside down lift is challenging? You don't think the use of contemporary staccato movements in the footwork is different for them? You don't think going for something this dark and violent challenges them? I disagree, obviously.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I find that was just a transition of the lift, nothing like what used to be common in Ice Dance when the man held a women doing an upside down spread eagle in his face.
    I remember that particular hold. That lift was subsequently banned by the ISU.

I just saw a lack of security in V/M's FD---there were a couple of stumbles by Tessa, and some of the transitions in and out of lifts were labored and a little awkward. I thought they were overscored, considering the flaws. But this is Skate Canada, and home ice does have its advantages.

Custom Title
    FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 169.41 Free Dance
    2. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 160.06 Free Dance
    3. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA & Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 143.39 Free Dance
    4. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 136.74 Free Dance
    5. Madison HUBBELL & Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 135.16 Free Dance
    6. Julia ZLOBINA & Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 132.80 Free Dance
    7. Pernelle CARRON & Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 130.75 Free Dance
    8. Kharis RALPH & Asher HILL (CAN) - 126.60

Added Zlobina's & Sitnikov's and Carron & Hills FD
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Really? You don't think that upside down lift is challenging? You don't think the use of contemporary staccato movements in the footwork is different for them? You don't think going for something this dark and violent challenges them? I disagree, obviously.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I didn't see anything different there. It was very run of the mill Carmen in my opinion.

Custom Title
    I'm not so sure that I saw steamy either and wasn't really feeling 'the modern' in this (but that's ok, I don't need it to be modern, and I sort of found the "NOT red" dress fascinating) - I mean the opening is like MM said, burlesque. I think I like it, however. It was intense and it did captivate me. I think I felt confused after what I think is the second lift, where Tessa is in a kind of handstand and Scott in a spread eagle - which was cool; but two different cuts of music follow this and I felt myself loosing what before that I felt was some sort of intuitive grasp of the program and where it was going. But, congrats to them, I did enjoy seeing it very much.

I think a lot of folks - like me - who are complaining were really looking forward to their "modern take" on a classic... THEY put that thought in people's heads...

there's nothing modern much less unique about what they're doing when it comes to Carmen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I'm sorry. Am I just old? What smoldering sex? Do you mean the opening move where Tessa mimes pulling Scott around by his [crotch]? That's not steamy, that's burlesque.
    Sheesh, Mathman...ya makin' me blush! But I agree. I just don't understand all the hoopla over V&M these days. Poor old Davis & White are supposed to be trying to emulate V&M's "connection" and getting nothing but derision (deservedly so with their belated "embrace"). But IMO, V&M's "connection" has always been nothing more than Virtue staring forlornly at Moir as they skate to center ice. I thought the Italians' "Carmen" had more drama (but less technical expertise)...and I'm not tired of this beautiful music; don't care how many skaters have used it. If you know what you're doing with the music while out on the ice, it makes no difference how often the music has been used IMO.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 10-27-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: fixing the coding to get the quote to work.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    V/M Carmen made me sat and watch, it was different to any other cute or dramatic Carmen I ve seen lately, it was like Pina of S/S, original.
    But I liked C/L program too, they both look gorgeous there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think a lot of folks - like me - who are complaining were really looking forward to their "modern take" on a classic... THEY put that thought in people's heads...

there's nothing modern much less unique about what they're doing when it comes to Carmen.
    although i might well change my mind, I largely agree with you that it isn't 'modern' or that unique - but, i do feel, but reaction, that aside from the part I failed to follow or understand well, that it is well put together. And again, it did really captivate me. But then, they always grab my attention....

Custom Title
    I love Virtue and Moir's Carmen program. I can totally see the modern dance movements and think they are incorporated very successfully and give the program uniqueness and interest. I am so excited by this program. I can't wait to see this later in the season with more miles. Tessa is incredibly intense in this and I love it. Brilliant. Add this to their very long list of signature pieces. Wow!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I'm sorry. Am I just old? What smoldering sex? Do you mean the opening move where Tessa mimes pulling Scott around by his crotch? That's not steamy, that's burlesque.

I did like their side by side hambones, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_hp...e=plcp#t=3m29s
    This is how I feel. The hambones part was the only part that looked "modern" instead of just super sexualized. I actually don't have much of a problem with any one thing they did, but all of it together is just gratuitous. If they're trying to be sexy, I find that generally subtlety is sexier than blatancy. I think it's odd that they felt they had to be so obvious about it in order to be sexy, because their chemistry is so great that, at least I think, they could just use that.

Oh, and modern =/= sexy.

edit: All that said, I can TOTALLY see myself liking this program if they changed it & I predict that by the end of the season it will be very good. Hopefully with more hambone & less crotch.
    Last edited by claphappy; 10-27-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast