Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Mens - Long Program (4:10PM PST/7:10PM EST)

surprisingly, I really like Chan's LP... to me it could've gone either way - though Javier had one less glaring mistake, and only one fall (or near fall) so I see why there's the gap...

Custom Title
    No skater should receive 8's for SS if they are not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Its more about that nobody should be getting PCS in the 9s if they have multiple errors. Chan still had higher PCS than Javier.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Patrick has been investing in PCS but his improvements are not being recognized and rewarded.
    Don't worry. He will be rewarded in the long run. Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning, both without an Olympic gold, are hailed as ones of the greatest skaters ever.

A Big Congratulations to Javier, loved both of his programs! Nice job from Oda, so happy that he medaled.
    To many mistakes from Patrick tonight, but he has a very nice program with great choreography and I love the music.

Great looking podium. Congrats to all!

Shout out to Ross Miner, enjoyed his FS too.

Custom Title
    Intriguingly, the only way I think Chan's legacy will be a positive one vis-a-vis figure skating would be a massive, clearly deserving Olympic victory - a la Yagudin or Curry. Then you'd get the post hoc revisionist history. Otherwise, the dominant narrative becomes his inconsistency, huge scores for flawed skates, and just generally being the poster boy for an unpopular system.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Don't worry. He will be rewarded in the long run. Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning, both without an Olympic gold, are hailed as ones of the greatest skaters ever.
    Will he skate Fields of Gold too?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Will he skate Fields of Gold too?
    That was sad. It reminds me of Michelle's crying face.

Custom Title
    I think Oda has some of the strongest skating skills, jumps and general ability - I actually think he's top 3 in Japan in this regard (I don't have any problems with his posture - I like him better than Hanyu's gawky, floppy, unhinged style). Oda's problem is that he chooses music that people or judges simply can't get behind even when has solid choreography/performances - his LP music is not meant for skating to. He should scrap that fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Michelle and Kurt had great performances when it counted...Can you remember them winning World titles with booos...Michelle lost the Olympics with a much more minor error than the errors Patrick puts out. A lot of Chan's wins have been this way. Now Patrick has amazing qualities...But he's going to have to start delivering in the jump department. The fact that Chan didn't think he needed to work on the jumps-frankly says it all. That's the guys big issue.

He's brilliant skater could be the greatest ever... If he can get those jumps straight (and I'm thrilled he's working on PCS and yes it sad there's little room for score improvement from him there. But again that's because of the huge scores he got before). If he doesn't start getting those jumps better he's in danger of being the Schuba of IJS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Intriguingly, the only way I think Chan's legacy will be a positive one vis-a-vis figure skating would be a massive, clearly deserving Olympic victory - a la Yagudin or Curry. Then you'd get the post hoc revisionist history. Otherwise, the dominant narrative becomes his inconsistency, huge scores for flawed skates, and just generally being the poster boy for an unpopular system.
    Well, this certainly isn't the opinion of everyone. I, for one, already think he's left an incredible legacy within the sport, whether he ever wins Olympic gold or not. I think he will undoubtedly by remembered as one of the best skaters ever. He's pushed the need for champions to have both great technical prowess and beautiful skating skills and artistry. I think he is an outstanding champion who isn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Michelle and Kurt had great performances when it counted...
    ...except at the Olympics... when to them it counted most.

What made Kurt hit legend status was what he did after it was all said and done. Yeah the world titles made it so that he'd be remembered, but how he advanced the sport and has been an ambassador for it is why he'll be up there in teh skategod realm. He didn't rest on what "worked" in the pros, he continued to push skating and himself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    I think Oda has some of the strongest skating skills, jumps and general ability - I actually think he's top 3 in Japan in this regard (I don't have any problems with his posture - I like him better than Hanyu's gawky, floppy, unhinged style). Oda's problem is that he chooses music that people or judges simply can't get behind even when has solid choreography/performances - his LP music is not meant for skating to. He should scrap that fast!!!
    I agree with everything your saying, except for the part about his music. What is it about his LP music that you find so ill fit for skating?

Custom Title
    I loved his program this evening. Very different and reminded me of a program he did did years ago. I loved how it highlighted his lightness and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by claphappy View Post
    I agree with everything your saying, except for the part about his music. What is it about his LP music that you find so ill fit for skating?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ...except at the Olympics... when to them it counted most.

What made Kurt hit legend status was what he did after it was all said and done. Yeah the world titles made it so that he'd be remembered, but how he advanced the sport and has been an ambassador for it is why he'll be up there in teh skategod realm. He didn't rest on what "worked" in the pros, he continued to push skating and himself.
    Well yes but there's no terms like Kurtinflation and Kwaninflation out there. What was going on last year when Daisuke couldn't even win the free program when he skated much cleaner than Patrick was just incredibly frustrating to watch.. (And funnily enough I didn't have so much issue with Patrick winning overall.....It was the no bone being thrown) It was like why even bother watching now. Something had to give. And I think the booos at Worlds really solidified that one..

It was unfair because Chans' incredible. But its never great when the preception is this is a skater who wins unfairly (his first worlds win was totally fair though)
    Last edited by bekalc; 10-27-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Medalist
    Love Javiers program!!!!

LOVE Ross's as well....watch out for nationals.....

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast