Zoueva's programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Zoueva's programs

KKonas

Medalist
Did he say Marina specifically, because from interviews I always got the feeling he damn near idolizes her.

Yes, he did. I don't think Moir idolizes Marina. He appreciates her and puts his trust in her choreographically and probably would never think of leaving her, but he doesn't like being on the losing end of anything, and losing points on Levels, just p---ses him off.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cannot speak for KKonas.

But in the SCI post-SD press conference, Moir said V/M thought they had a good skate. If I recall correctly, then a reporter pressed them about their marks, and Moir's reply was something like, "Our coach(es) will have to figure out why we didn't get higher levels/scores." I don't remember his exact words, but they did not sound snotty to me.

I daresay that Moir (if not Virtue as well) analyzes the protocols as thoroughly as Zoueva. Last season, he was the one who noticed the mistake in their GPF FD score, which led to ISU's announcement of the error.

hereandthere

Spectator
From Lynn Rutherford's icenetwork SD article:

Italians play even with Virtue, Moir in short dance
It was surprising [not getting higher levels] for a couple of those elements, but this is our first competition out and that's the risk you kind of run; that's why we like to get out there in Finland," Moir said. "Unfortunately, we took a hit on some of the points. It's going to be up to our coach (Marina Zoueva) to do her homework and figure out just exactly why we're not getting the marks."

Sorry, can't post a link, but perhaps that's the quote CAS is looking for.

heyhey

On the Ice

Thanks hereand there, welcome to goldenskate - if this quote is accurate - I actually think that this is a good comment from Moir. I agree with golden411 that if I had to put money on a skater that probably reviews tape and goes through the rulebook it would be him. I don't think he means that it is the coach's fault if the Canton teams are not getting the levels now. I think he wanted to imply that Zoueva is the person who will get feedback from the tech panel and it is the coaching staff to relay that information and do their homework with the appropriate parties. Basically I think want he wanted to imply is that the coaches receive feedback and they need to go from there....

KKonas

Medalist
Yeah, Moir is not known for his quick temper:). I'm sure he was perfectly happy to be only .01 ahead of the Italians in the SD.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks hereand there, welcome to goldenskate - if this quote is accurate - I actually think that this is a good comment from Moir.

Yes, let me add my thanks and welcome to hereandthere too. :)

I'm adding the link to the article that you quoted: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121027&content_id=40076882&vkey=ice_news

(Not sure whether you were concerned that GoldenSkate does not permit IceNetwork links. FYI, that former rule is no longer in effect.]

Thanks for the link, golden411.

It's funny how people can interpret the same words in different ways. Having read the whole article, I had the same feeling about Scott's quote as KKontas did.

all that

Final Flight
Do you have a link to this quote? I ask because I just read an article with what seems to be where you pulled that interpretation from but the context was very different from what you present. I just can't remember where I saw the article. You present it as if it was a snotty comment from Scott whereas I recall reading it as Scott saying they got too caught up in the numbers last season and would be leaving that to the coaches to worry about this season.

Thanks hereand there, welcome to goldenskate - if this quote is accurate - I actually think that this is a good comment from Moir. I agree with golden411 that if I had to put money on a skater that probably reviews tape and goes through the rulebook it would be him. I don't think he means that it is the coach's fault if the Canton teams are not getting the levels now. I think he wanted to imply that Zoueva is the person who will get feedback from the tech panel and it is the coaching staff to relay that information and do their homework with the appropriate parties. Basically I think want he wanted to imply is that the coaches receive feedback and they need to go from there....

I think he does mean it's the coach's fault that they didn't get the levels, but I don't think there's anything snotty about that. If they perform exactly the way Marina tells them to and the elements don't get the levels, then it is Marina's fault. Her job is to make sure the program is constructed to get all the highest levels. Their job is to skate the program as she has created it. What's snotty about pointing that out? I'd be ticked off about this as well.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that when the Shpilband/Zoueva meltdown went down, Marina told V/M that she would make sure the tech side of things would be handled, and that they shouldn't worry about losing Igor. She's not an idiot.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I saw pechalat and bourzat recently and boy they mean business, they are going to push v/m and d/w this year!! Look out!!!!!

Interesting because they were on the bubble - would W and P, I and K, B and S and C and L all pass them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My two cents:

Team Canton seems quick to attribute their successes to Zoueva (perhaps more generously than she deserves).
Example: I remember that one time as Davis/White were leaving Kiss and Cry after a Fledermaus performance that the crowd and judges loved, White spontaneously faced the camera, gestured toward Zoueva, and said with a big smile, "It's all her" (as if D/W had not contributed their significant talent and hard work!).

So on the other end of the spectrum, it seems natural enough to me that when things don't go so well, Zoueva's skaters look to her -- because they want a solution, not because they are blaming her.
Sure, Moir would not be happy with their levels, but that does not mean that he was lashing out at Zoueva. At least in the press conference video clip, when he was saying that their coach(es) [I forget whether he used the singular or plural) would identify V/M's deficiencies, his tone was calm and neutral, not bitter or accusatory.