Thread: Maximum skaters at GPF

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Maximum skaters at GPF

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of skaters that a federation can qualify for the GPF? I've been following the men (and have lurked on this forum for quite a while now) and 4 different Japanese men have medaled at a GP event so far, with Takahashi still to come. I know there's a maximum of 3 for worlds, but I can't quite find out if that rule applies to the GPF too. It'd be great if someone knows!

Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of skaters that a federation can qualify for the GPF? I've been following the men (and have lurked on this forum for quite a while now) and 4 different Japanese men have medaled at a GP event so far, with Takahashi still to come. I know there's a maximum of 3 for worlds, but I can't quite find out if that rule applies to the GPF too. It'd be great if someone knows!
    As far as I know there is no limit on the no. of GPF participants by countries.

I loved Machida at Skate America -- could watch his SP all day long. That guy is dynamic live! He's at Cup of China next week, along with his countryman, Daisuke Takahashi. He could sneak in there for the silver, depending on how Nan Song and Brian Joubert will do. I think he could easily beat Adam Rippon -- though perhaps Rippon could surprise me. But even with the silver, I'm not sure if it would be enough.

I think we could see up to 3 Japanese skaters at the GPF, similar to 2010-2011 when Daisuke, Taka and Nobunari made it to the final. It would be something if they could sneak a fourth one in there, but it's doubtful.

Welcome, pitterpatter. Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long!

yes, welcome, pitterpatter!

as to your question - I don't think there's a limit, but the way that the GP is set up, is it possible to have more than 3 qualify?

Don't they take the six with best scores regardless of where they are from?

Custom Title
    Looking at the entries in each competition, it seems like Patrick and Nobunari will meet again at CoR (damn!) Really wish Nobunari was placed at TEB because he barely has any competition imho. Nobunari would have to place at least second (and maybe even first) in his next event to go to GPF. Of course, that'll depend on how the other skaters do.

I don't think four Japanese men will make it into GPF, but most likely three. I'll put my money on Takahiko and Daisuke for now, and I want Yuzuru to also make it. Yuzuru at NHK will have to beat Daisuke or at least be second, which is a tall order given that Fernandez will also be there....extra competition.

Ah...this is all too exciting! I wish them all the best

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    but the way that the GP is set up, is it possible to have more than 3 qualify?
    I think it's possible but very unlikely. They've already dominated SA. And it's possible to have Takahashi and Hanyu occupy the top two spots in NHK. If they could dominate COR as well, the possible scenarios are:

Takahashi - NHK gold or silver; COC gold

Hanyu - SA silver; NHK gold or silver

Kozuka - SA gold; COR silver

Oda - SC bronze; COR gold

Also:

If there were no other skaters who medal twice, or if other skaters have two medals but no two silvers or above, which means that they have to push Patrick Chan to get bronze or off the podium at COR, also have to push Fernandez off the podium at NHK, then they could have four skaters go into GPF.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-28-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think it's possible but very unlikely. They've already dominated SA. And it's possible to have Takahashi and Hanyu occupy the top two spots in NHK. If they could dominate COR as well, the possible scenarios are:

Takahashi - NHK gold or silver; COC gold

Hanyu - SA silver; NHK gold or silver

Kozuka - SA gold; COR silver

Oda - SC bronze; COR gold

Also:

If there were no other skaters who medal twice, or if other skaters have two medals but no two silvers or above, which means that they have to push Patrick Chan to get bronze or off the podium at COR, also have to push Fernandez off the podium at NHK, then they could have four skaters go into GPF.
    Pushing Fernandez off the podium at NHK is easier than Chan getting bronze at CoR.....

I think Oda has the slighest chances atm given the circumstances. But who knows, it will be interesting to know who ends at GPF!

Custom Title
    Russia had four men in 1997/98: Urmanov, Kulik, Abt and Plushenko, so it is possible. I think the series was set up differently, though.