Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86

Thread: Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    452

    Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

    I decide to create a debate about Kaetlyn Osmond.
    To me, with her placement at skate canada, I think that she deserve to earn a second Grand Prix instead of another skater who has no chance to makes the Grand Prix Final.

    What are your thought about that ? Do you think that the ISU should give a second Grand Prix to Kaetlyn Osmond ?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    there are no slots open atm, maybe at TEB ? but that would be too late too
    if Czisny withdraws from NHK, she could be in the podium in a weak NHK ladies field aside from Akiko and Mao

    but doubt TEB or NHK will invite her
    plus Osmond's scandalous and undeserving win in SC is probably a tick off from the other Feds
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 10-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.

  3. #3
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    998
    Now that other feds see that she is a threat, they won't give her a spot. She'll have to wait til next year.

  4. #4
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Now that other feds see that she is a threat, they won't give her a spot. She'll have to wait til next year.
    This. Unfortunately, because of her great showing at Skate Canada, she has no chance. TEB is probably her only hope (as none of their skaters has a realistic chance of making the GPF) but even there they will not want someone who can/will place in front of Meite. NHK will never give her a place because they will not want another skater there who can place in front of Suzuki (who now has a good-ish chance of making the GPF) and Asada. Similarly Russia is never going to give her a spot as it's clear she could beat Leonova or Sotnikova (the second will be the bigger concern because she may make the GPF as well depending on how she does there). Ditto Cup of China though it's probably too late for her to get a slot there anyway.

    Also, for the record, the title of this post is misleading. Despite what some people here seem to think, the ISU does not assign the GP events. The individual federations do. It is much different.

  5. #5
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This. Unfortunately, because of her great showing at Skate Canada, she has no chance. TEB is probably her only hope (as none of their skaters has a realistic chance of making the GPF) but even there they will not want someone who can/will place in front of Meite. NHK will never give her a place because they will not want another skater there who can place in front of Suzuki (who now has a good-ish chance of making the GPF) and Asada. Similarly Russia is never going to give her a spot as it's clear she could beat Leonova or Sotnikova (the second will be the bigger concern because she may make the GPF as well depending on how she does there). Ditto Cup of China though it's probably too late for her to get a slot there anyway.

    Also, for the record, the title of this post is misleading. Despite what some people here seem to think, the ISU does not assign the GP events. The individual federations do. It is much different.
    Agree that there are no spots left this late for Osmond to take, and she should probably give it a rest because the pressure to turn out a repeat performance could be disastrous. I disagree about TEB, though...Julia Lipnitskaia, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Ashley Wagner will all be there. With two Grand Prix events completed, Wagner still sits on top of the competition as far as scores go, and I guarantee that Julia won't be far behind.

    Also, I would say that Osmond has a slim-to-none chance of placing in front of Suzuki (again), Asada, Leonova, or Sotnikova. In terms of skill, every single one of them skates circles around her, and you can bet that the Japanese federation won't be too happy if Suzuki loses the gold medal a second time.
    Last edited by ForeverFish; 10-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.

  6. #6
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Agree that there are no spots left this late for Osmond to take, and she should probably give it a rest because the pressure to turn out a repeat performance could be disastrous. I disagree about TEB, though...Julia Lipnitskaia, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Ashley Wagner will all be there. With two Grand Prix events completed, Wagner still sits on top of the competition as far as scores go, and I guarantee that Julia won't be far behind.

    Also, I would say that Osmond has a slim-to-none chance of placing in front of Suzuki (again), Asada, Leonova, or Sotnikova. In terms of skill, every single one of them skates circles around her, and you can bet that the Japanese federation won't be too happy if Suzuki loses the gold medal a second time.
    I think you misunderstood me about TEB. When I said 'their skaters' I meant the French skaters who are representing the federation who is giving out spots. I didn't mean any of the skaters at TEB.

  7. #7
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think you misunderstood me about TEB. When I said 'their skaters' I meant the French skaters who are representing the federation who is giving out spots. I didn't mean any of the skaters at TEB.
    It appears I did. Sorry about that. You're absolutely right--as of now, none of the French skaters stand a chance against the tide of the Russians, Americans, and Japanese.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post

    Also, I would say that Osmond has a slim-to-none chance of placing in front of Suzuki (again), Asada, Leonova, or Sotnikova. In terms of skill, every single one of them skates circles around her, and you can bet that the Japanese federation won't be too happy if Suzuki loses the gold medal a second time.
    Well, you realize she also beat Sotnikova already, right? Ice is always slippery and none of the ladies you mentioned have consistently scored above 170 so never say never.

    I realize her ascension has pissed many people even though few will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi is theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.
    Last edited by wallylutz; 10-28-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Typos

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    772
    I realize her ascension has pissed quite a few people even though feel will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi us theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.
    The voice of reason... totally agree. I personally think she will be ready for the next games and not this one.

  10. #10
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Well, you realize she also beat Sotnikova already, right? Ice is always slippery and none of the ladies you mentioned have consistently scored above 170 so never say never.

    I realize her ascension has pissed many people even though few will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi is theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.
    I do not agree with her scores at this GP and it's not because I'm worried. All in all, I think it's great that Canada has a ladies contender in the mix and we don't have to wait 20 years for it. Chuckm, for example, has been very much a proponent of Osmond on these boards, and he clearly disagrees with the result as well.

    I disagree because I feel Osmond's PCS was high for the packaging she had in that FS. I think I and many other posters explained with great rationality why we feel Suzuki was underscored/Osmond was underscored. I think many posters have taken the time to add thoughtful dialogue to your question in the other thread and not every one of them is responding out of spite, or because they feel she is a threat to their favorite skaters.

  11. #11
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Well, you realize she also beat Sotnikova already, right? Ice is always slippery and none of the ladies you mentioned have consistently scored above 170 so never say never.

    I realize her ascension has pissed many people even though few will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi is theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.
    You must have misunderstood me. At no point did I ever express that I am "pissed" at Osmond for her performance at Skate Canada. If anything, a new and talented young skater only makes the field more exciting to watch--for example, though the Russians and Americans are fierce contenders for every single crown, I cheer on Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner as much as Julia L, Liza T, and Adelina S. Even if I don't agree with Osmond's marks at SC, I'm still excited to see what she can do. She's definitely one of Canada's best bets for Sochi, but at this point, one or two good performances mean very little against repeat national champions of Japan and Russia, who are undoubtedly the strongest countries in the sport.

    Sotnikova definitely lacks consistency, but technique and artistry-wise, she's in an entirely different class. And I don't think it's fair to refer to the established Japanese and Russian girls as divas in order to champion Osmond's cause. They all began where she is now--a talented teenage skater--and deserve as much glory as she. No one is assuming anything about Sochi past cautious hopes because, as we all know, injuries and other barriers can pop up between now and then.

  12. #12
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,771
    I don't really think so.. it would be nice to see her get a chance to go to the GPF, but it isn't fair to other skaters who weren't given a second spot.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    448
    Agree with the general opinion that she doesn't have a chance in hell now that she's an actual medal threat. That's just not how the game is played.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    This may turn out to be a blessing for her and allow her to grow as opposed to having a ton of pressure placed her, too much too soon.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180

    Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

    You left out Gracie Gold (CoR; 175.03)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •