Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ? | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I decide to create a debate about Kaetlyn Osmond. :)
To me, with her placement at skate canada, I think that she deserve to earn a second Grand Prix instead of another skater who has no chance to makes the Grand Prix Final.

What are your thought about that ? Do you think that the ISU should give a second Grand Prix to Kaetlyn Osmond ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
there are no slots open atm, maybe at TEB ? but that would be too late too
if Czisny withdraws from NHK, she could be in the podium in a weak NHK ladies field aside from Akiko and Mao

but doubt TEB or NHK will invite her
plus Osmond's scandalous and undeserving win in SC is probably a tick off from the other Feds

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
Now that other feds see that she is a threat, they won't give her a spot. She'll have to wait til next year.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Now that other feds see that she is a threat, they won't give her a spot. She'll have to wait til next year.

This. Unfortunately, because of her great showing at Skate Canada, she has no chance. TEB is probably her only hope (as none of their skaters has a realistic chance of making the GPF) but even there they will not want someone who can/will place in front of Meite. NHK will never give her a place because they will not want another skater there who can place in front of Suzuki (who now has a good-ish chance of making the GPF) and Asada. Similarly Russia is never going to give her a spot as it's clear she could beat Leonova or Sotnikova (the second will be the bigger concern because she may make the GPF as well depending on how she does there). Ditto Cup of China though it's probably too late for her to get a slot there anyway.

Also, for the record, the title of this post is misleading. Despite what some people here seem to think, the ISU does not assign the GP events. The individual federations do. It is much different.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't really think so.. it would be nice to see her get a chance to go to the GPF, but it isn't fair to other skaters who weren't given a second spot.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Agree with the general opinion that she doesn't have a chance in hell now that she's an actual medal threat. That's just not how the game is played.

wallylutz

Medalist
This may turn out to be a blessing for her and allow her to grow as opposed to having a ton of pressure placed her, too much too soon.

ForeverFish

Medalist
This. Unfortunately, because of her great showing at Skate Canada, she has no chance. TEB is probably her only hope (as none of their skaters has a realistic chance of making the GPF) but even there they will not want someone who can/will place in front of Meite. NHK will never give her a place because they will not want another skater there who can place in front of Suzuki (who now has a good-ish chance of making the GPF) and Asada. Similarly Russia is never going to give her a spot as it's clear she could beat Leonova or Sotnikova (the second will be the bigger concern because she may make the GPF as well depending on how she does there). Ditto Cup of China though it's probably too late for her to get a slot there anyway.

Also, for the record, the title of this post is misleading. Despite what some people here seem to think, the ISU does not assign the GP events. The individual federations do. It is much different.

Agree that there are no spots left this late for Osmond to take, and she should probably give it a rest because the pressure to turn out a repeat performance could be disastrous. I disagree about TEB, though...Julia Lipnitskaia, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Ashley Wagner will all be there. With two Grand Prix events completed, Wagner still sits on top of the competition as far as scores go, and I guarantee that Julia won't be far behind.

Also, I would say that Osmond has a slim-to-none chance of placing in front of Suzuki (again), Asada, Leonova, or Sotnikova. In terms of skill, every single one of them skates circles around her, and you can bet that the Japanese federation won't be too happy if Suzuki loses the gold medal a second time.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Agree that there are no spots left this late for Osmond to take, and she should probably give it a rest because the pressure to turn out a repeat performance could be disastrous. I disagree about TEB, though...Julia Lipnitskaia, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Ashley Wagner will all be there. With two Grand Prix events completed, Wagner still sits on top of the competition as far as scores go, and I guarantee that Julia won't be far behind.

Also, I would say that Osmond has a slim-to-none chance of placing in front of Suzuki (again), Asada, Leonova, or Sotnikova. In terms of skill, every single one of them skates circles around her, and you can bet that the Japanese federation won't be too happy if Suzuki loses the gold medal a second time.

I think you misunderstood me about TEB. When I said 'their skaters' I meant the French skaters who are representing the federation who is giving out spots. I didn't mean any of the skaters at TEB.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think you misunderstood me about TEB. When I said 'their skaters' I meant the French skaters who are representing the federation who is giving out spots. I didn't mean any of the skaters at TEB.

It appears I did. Sorry about that. You're absolutely right--as of now, none of the French skaters stand a chance against the tide of the Russians, Americans, and Japanese.

wallylutz

Medalist

Well, you realize she also beat Sotnikova already, right? Ice is always slippery and none of the ladies you mentioned have consistently scored above 170 so never say never.

I realize her ascension has pissed many people even though few will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi is theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
I realize her ascension has pissed quite a few people even though feel will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi us theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.

The voice of reason... totally agree. I personally think she will be ready for the next games and not this one.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There aren't any open ladies' spaces at this point. If Alissa Czisny withdraws from NHK, I doubt the JFSF will give the spot to Osmond. Nagasu is the obvious replacement---she is the daughter of Japanese parents, and is unlikely to pose a challenge to Asada, Imai and Suzuki. Mirai has been at the top of the replacement list from the beginning of the season and should get the nod.

In any case, I wonder if Osmond would receive the sky-high PCS scores she got at SC outside Canada?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, you realize she also beat Sotnikova already, right? Ice is always slippery and none of the ladies you mentioned have consistently scored above 170 so never say never.

I realize her ascension has pissed many people even though few will admit so. That said, all these negativity only serves to prove some people are worried because they know the kind of damage she can do and she hasn't even skated a clean LP yet. Just imagine the potential there must be very unsettling to the numerous fans of Russian and Japanese divas who didn't see this coming and who have previously assumed 2014 Sochi is theirs already... To those concerned, too bad for you, a new challenger is coming and she means business.

I do not agree with her scores at this GP and it's not because I'm worried. All in all, I think it's great that Canada has a ladies contender in the mix and we don't have to wait 20 years for it. Chuckm, for example, has been very much a proponent of Osmond on these boards, and he clearly disagrees with the result as well.

I disagree because I feel Osmond's PCS was high for the packaging she had in that FS. I think I and many other posters explained with great rationality why we feel Suzuki was underscored/Osmond was underscored. I think many posters have taken the time to add thoughtful dialogue to your question in the other thread and not every one of them is responding out of spite, or because they feel she is a threat to their favorite skaters.

wallylutz

Medalist
There aren't any open ladies' spaces at this point. If Alissa Czisny withdraws from NHK, I doubt the JFSF will give the spot to Osmond. Nagasu is the obvious replacement---she is the daughter of Japanese parents, and is unlikely to pose a challenge to Asada, Imai and Suzuki. Mirai has been at the top of the replacement list from the beginning of the season and should get the nod.

In any case, I wonder if Osmond would receive the sky-high PCS scores she got at SC outside Canada?

I think the Nelbohorn Trophy results answered your question already. Historically when a newcomer had a breakthrough performance, his/her score tends to be sustained provided the subsequent competition is at a similar level or better. So long as she continues to deliver and better herself, I have no doubt sky is the limit for her.

wallylutz

Medalist
I do not agree with her scores at this GP and it's not because I'm worried. All in all, I think it's great that Canada has a ladies contender in the mix and we don't have to wait 20 years for it. Chuckm, for example, has been very much a proponent of Osmond on these boards, and he clearly disagrees with the result as well.

I disagree because I feel Osmond's PCS was high for the packaging she had in that FS. I think I and many other posters explained with great rationality why we feel Suzuki was underscored/Osmond was underscored. I think many posters have taken the time to add thoughtful dialogue to your question in the other thread and not every one of them is responding out of spite, or because they feel she is a threat to their favorite skaters.

Where did I say or imply "everyone"? I will take time to respond to the other thread in due time once I am actually off my phone - not the easiest to type on an iPhone.

No matter how nicely put, you cannot speak for everyone. There is no denial there is strong jealousy towards Osmond, hence all these speculations that she won't be invited to another GP event for political reasons. Anyone who tries to deny that is either naive or dishonest.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Where did I say or imply "everyone"? I will take time to respond to the other thread in due time once I am actually off my phone - not the easiest to type on an iPhone.

No matter how nicely put, you cannot speak for everyone. There is no denial there is strong jealousy towards Osmond, hence all these speculations that she won't be invited to another GP event for political reasons. Anyone who tries to deny that is either naive or dishonest.

All I'm saying is there are plenty of posters who are NOT that way and I hope that in midst of all this discussion, I hope people will see there is some reasonable discussion.

And as for those who are jealous... that's something they have to work through.

Last edited:
Well, I hate to sound naive and dishonest, but I am not seeing much evidence of "jealousy" in this debate. I think Osmond's PCSs should have been higher in the short program and lower in the long. I thing Suzuki should have got program components in the eights in choreography and interpretation in the LP.

(OK, I am a little jealous of both of them because they are a lot more talented than I am.)

As for a second GP assignment, the problem is that all the assignments have already been given out. Can Skate Canada pull some strings to get her added as an extra skater somewhere? I doubt it, but it can't hurt to try.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the Nelbohorn Trophy results answered your question already. Historically when a newcomer had a breakthrough performance, his/her score tends to be sustained provided the subsequent competition is at a similar level or better. So long as she continues to deliver and better herself, I have no doubt sky is the limit for her.

Here's what Kaetlyn scored in the SP at Nebelhorn and at SC (she had the same jump content for both):

27.35 6.68 6.61 6.96 6.86 7.07 SC
24.80 6.11 5.96 6.29 6.25 6.39 Nebelhorn

and the FS (similar jump content with one fall at each)

59.61 7.32 7.25 7.61 7.46 7.61 SC
56.36 6.86 6.86 7.14 7.25 7.11 Nebelhorn

And International Bs are known for their overscoring.

I think Kaetlyn is a good skater and a promising one. But I do not think that she is at this point anywhere near the level of skating skills as Akiko Suzuki, and her PCS scores should not be on the same level. Akiko had a great FS and her scores should have been at least .5-.75 higher for each component than Kaetlyn's.

Last edited: