Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Right, but if you believe in trades, Polina Shelepen and Popova/Massot got spots at Skate Canada that they could've filled with anyone (they were host slots initially).
    Yes, but none of them posed serious threats to the Canadian skaters--and at that point, no one could have foreseen Osmond's win. Now that she's becoming an overnight sensation, though, the other nations will want to keep her as far from their podiums as possible.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    You must have misunderstood me. At no point did I ever express that I am "pissed" at Osmond for her performance at Skate Canada. If anything, a new and talented young skater only makes the field more exciting to watch--for example, though the Russians and Americans are fierce contenders for every single crown, I cheer on Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner as much as Julia L, Liza T, and Adelina S. Even if I don't agree with Osmond's marks at SC, I'm still excited to see what she can do. She's definitely one of Canada's best bets for Sochi, but at this point, one or two good performances mean very little against repeat national champions of Japan and Russia, who are undoubtedly the strongest countries in the sport.

Sotnikova definitely lacks consistency, but technique and artistry-wise, she's in an entirely different class. And I don't think it's fair to refer to the established Japanese and Russian girls as divas in order to champion Osmond's cause. They all began where she is now--a talented teenage skater--and deserve as much glory as she. No one is assuming anything about Sochi past cautious hopes because, as we all know, injuries and other barriers can pop up between now and then.
    Thank you for this post! ITA

And yeah who exactly is being a diva? In fact, Akiko has been the exact opposite. And Mao, Adelina and Liza aren't either.

I have not always been on the Adelina train, but I have been very impressed by her since seeing her at Skate America. She needs to work on the flutz, but otherwise, she has great jumps and a wonderful presence.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Yes, but none of them posed serious threats to the Canadian skaters--and at that point, no one could have foreseen Osmond's win. Now that she's becoming an overnight sensation, though, the other nations will want to keep her as far from their podiums as possible.
    True.

Another thing to mention is cost: the host country pays the travel expenses for the skaters at the event, which is easily part of the reason that Nagasu hasn't gotten invited to TEB.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Thank you for this post! ITA

And yeah who exactly is being a diva? In fact, Akiko has been the exact opposite. And Mao, Adelina and Liza aren't either.

I have not always been on the Adelina train, but I have been very impressed by her since seeing her at Skate America. She needs to work on the fritz, but otherwise, she has great jumps and a wonderful presence.
    The "diva" accusations remind me of NBC's coverage of the Olympics this summer, when the commentators could not stop referring to Russia's Aliya Mustafina as the spoiled brat of the women's gymnastics field. Same bias against Osmond's competitors, it appears...

skating philosopher
    The "diva" accusations remind me of NBC's coverage of the Olympics this summer, when the commentators could not stop referring to Russia's Aliya Mustafina as the spoiled brat of the women's gymnastics field. Same bias against Osmond's competitors, it appears...
    When I met Adelina at the hotel at Skate America, I found her quite friendly to fans, when it was clear she wanted to be left alone. (She had her hoodie over her head). She signed my program with a smiley face. Cute.

Miserere Nobis
    When I met Adelina at the hotel at Skate America, I found her quite friendly to fans, when it was clear she wanted to be left alone. (She had her hoodie over her head). She signed my program with a smiley face. Cute.
    How lucky you are to have met her...I don't think I could ever believe that someone with such a natural presence on the ice could be anything but genuine, especially remembering that she and the other Russian girls are still up-and-coming skaters who haven't seen enough fame for it to go to their heads. From what I've seen in their interviews, they sound very modest and composed, and a little baffled by the media attention.

Custom Title
    Shelepen was invited to Skate Canada to fill the anchor position in the standings (which she did).

Custom Title
    The "diva" accusations remind me of NBC's coverage of the Olympics this summer, when the commentators could not stop referring to Russia's Aliya Mustafina as the spoiled brat of the women's gymnastics field.
    This disgusted me. Sasha was the same way but the media made a joke about her conflicts with coaches, whereas Aliya is a brat for the same type of behavior. At least there was never a question of Aliya's work ethic.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    This disgusted me. Sasha was the same way but the media made a joke about her conflicts with coaches, whereas Aliya is a brat for the same type of behavior. At least there was never a question of Aliya's work ethic.
    I wish we saw more of this fire from skaters today, as it seems to translate into similar stubbornness during competition. Any spark of rebelliousness will do--Midori Ito, for example, used to eat chocolate and sweets for the sole purpose of defying her coach.

Miserere Nobis
    True.

Another thing to mention is cost: the host country pays the travel expenses for the skaters at the event, which is easily part of the reason that Nagasu hasn't gotten invited to TEB.
    I must have missed the announcement, but do you know why Nagasu has no GP assignments this season?

And there are no spots open at TEB as of now. I thought that Mirai's slot there was purely hypothetical...?
    Last edited by ForeverFish; 10-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Mirai has one slot, CoC.

There have been several withdraws this season, but they've been from CoC and TEB. CoC WDs don't matter, because she has her slot. TEB WDs do, and there was the feeling that she'd get it. However, some suppose she'd be too much of a threat to the French ladies, now that France has two that could medal at a GP (Meite and Silethe, the latter has withdrawn). Due to her high ranking, people expected her to get a second slot. But she hasn't. There has been some supposition that she'd get NHK should Czisny not be ready in time (her surgery), but we won't know until it happens. I think Mirai, in many respects, is in a bizarre position. She's talented enough that realistically she should have two GPs. But she's been able to guarantee them (ie, top 12 at Worlds) only once (the 10/11 season) and she's too much of a risk factor for federations looking to protect her own; far enough away that in an environment where every dollar counts they're not inclined to invite her unless of something extra special,, and skating during a time where there are reduced GP slots in the first place. It's really disappointing (and the ISU should really consider what the goal of the GP circuit is), but them's the breaks.

Miserere Nobis
    Mirai has one slot, CoC.

There have been several withdraws this season, but they've been from CoC and TEB. CoC WDs don't matter, because she has her slot. TEB WDs do, and there was the feeling that she'd get it. However, some suppose she'd be too much of a threat to the French ladies, now that France has two that could medal at a GP (Meite and Silethe, the latter has withdrawn). Due to her high ranking, people expected her to get a second slot. But she hasn't. There has been some supposition that she'd get NHK should Czisny not be ready in time (her surgery), but we won't know until it happens. I think Mirai, in many respects, is in a bizarre position. She's talented enough that realistically she should have two GPs. But she's been able to guarantee them (ie, top 12 at Worlds) only once (the 10/11 season) and she's too much of a risk factor for federations looking to protect her own; far enough away that in an environment where every dollar counts they're not inclined to invite her unless of something extra special,, and skating during a time where there are reduced GP slots in the first place. It's really disappointing (and the ISU should really consider what the goal of the GP circuit is), but them's the breaks.
    Wow, I honestly missed that...hmm.

I see no reason why she shouldn't get NHK should Czisny drop out, or else they'd be suffering from a dearth of American women. Nagasu is talented, certainly, but still has things to prove. I would think, though, that should untested skaters like Gao and Flatt get two GPs, Nagasu definitely would.

skating philosopher
    Wow, I honestly missed that...hmm.

I see no reason why she shouldn't get NHK should Czisny drop out, or else they'd be suffering from a dearth of American women. Nagasu is talented, certainly, but still has things to prove. I would think, though, that should untested skaters like Gao and Flatt get two GPs, Nagasu definitely would.
    Racahel only had one GP, Skate America. Unless I missed something...

Miserere Nobis
    Racahel only had one GP, Skate America. Unless I missed something...
    Wow, you're absolutely right. Must've been Gao and Zhang I was thinking about then, which isn't much better.

Zhang medalled at 4CC last year, which is what netted her 2 GPs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast