Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Mirai has one slot, CoC.

There have been several withdraws this season, but they've been from CoC and TEB. CoC WDs don't matter, because she has her slot. TEB WDs do, and there was the feeling that she'd get it. However, some suppose she'd be too much of a threat to the French ladies, now that France has two that could medal at a GP (Meite and Silethe, the latter has withdrawn). Due to her high ranking, people expected her to get a second slot. But she hasn't. There has been some supposition that she'd get NHK should Czisny not be ready in time (her surgery), but we won't know until it happens. I think Mirai, in many respects, is in a bizarre position. She's talented enough that realistically she should have two GPs. But she's been able to guarantee them (ie, top 12 at Worlds) only once (the 10/11 season) and she's too much of a risk factor for federations looking to protect her own; far enough away that in an environment where every dollar counts they're not inclined to invite her unless of something extra special,, and skating during a time where there are reduced GP slots in the first place. It's really disappointing (and the ISU should really consider what the goal of the GP circuit is), but them's the breaks.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Mirai has one slot, CoC.

There have been several withdraws this season, but they've been from CoC and TEB. CoC WDs don't matter, because she has her slot. TEB WDs do, and there was the feeling that she'd get it. However, some suppose she'd be too much of a threat to the French ladies, now that France has two that could medal at a GP (Meite and Silethe, the latter has withdrawn). Due to her high ranking, people expected her to get a second slot. But she hasn't. There has been some supposition that she'd get NHK should Czisny not be ready in time (her surgery), but we won't know until it happens. I think Mirai, in many respects, is in a bizarre position. She's talented enough that realistically she should have two GPs. But she's been able to guarantee them (ie, top 12 at Worlds) only once (the 10/11 season) and she's too much of a risk factor for federations looking to protect her own; far enough away that in an environment where every dollar counts they're not inclined to invite her unless of something extra special,, and skating during a time where there are reduced GP slots in the first place. It's really disappointing (and the ISU should really consider what the goal of the GP circuit is), but them's the breaks.

Wow, I honestly missed that...hmm.

I see no reason why she shouldn't get NHK should Czisny drop out, or else they'd be suffering from a dearth of American women. Nagasu is talented, certainly, but still has things to prove. I would think, though, that should untested skaters like Gao and Flatt get two GPs, Nagasu definitely would.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, I honestly missed that...hmm.

I see no reason why she shouldn't get NHK should Czisny drop out, or else they'd be suffering from a dearth of American women. Nagasu is talented, certainly, but still has things to prove. I would think, though, that should untested skaters like Gao and Flatt get two GPs, Nagasu definitely would.

Racahel only had one GP, Skate America. Unless I missed something...

Taan

On the Ice
maybe Osmond will get NHK?? :)

there is a rumor shelepen has just withdrawn.

:party::party: :party::party:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shelepen hasn't withdrawn as of 11/8. If she doesn't withdraw by tomorrow, November 9th (14 days before NHK), the JFSF doesn't have to fill the spot.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Shelepen FORMALLY withdrawn? Remember, Japan is 14 hours ahead of US Eastern Standard Time. Though it's still November 8th in the US, it's 1 pm on November 9th in Japan.

Russia may have a strategy in delaying the announcement of Shelepen's withdrawal. If they wait until the replacement period is too short, that could enhance Sotnikova's and Tuktamysheva's chances of making it to the GPF because that would take Osmond's 15 points out of play.

Even if Shelepen does withdraw and Japan names a replacement, it wouldn't necessarily be Osmond. Nagasu, of Japanese parentage, is very popular in Japan and she's been on top of the replacement list from the getgo.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Will/should dhe be given a second Grand Prix?

Sorry that I have had no time to read posts in this thread unfortunately, but my answer is "Of course she should!" :yes:

Many many congratulations to Kaetlyn for winning the very first Grand Prix at her very first SENIOR grand prix (wasn't it?, I am not so sure...) and especially in front of her home crowd! :party2:

Wishing her the best of luck for the rest of the season! :yay:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU NHK Ladies roster and the LADIES pdf listing still do not show Shelepen as withdrawn. A report in a Russian newspaper does not make it an official withdrawal---only the Russian federation can do that, and apparently they have not done so as yet.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Too bad for Osmond. And for the poster(s) who think it is scandalous Osmond won SC I can see many reasons for a win by Suzuki however it was not clear cut. Besides perhaps we have had far too many "scandalous" results depending on your point of view or scores and I can guarantee you someone else will say the win or placement was deserved - we will all never agree - that's the only agreement we might have. :)

ForeverFish

Medalist
Has Shelepen FORMALLY withdrawn? Remember, Japan is 14 hours ahead of US Eastern Standard Time. Though it's still November 8th in the US, it's 1 pm on November 9th in Japan.

Russia may have a strategy in delaying the announcement of Shelepen's withdrawal. If they wait until the replacement period is too short, that could enhance Sotnikova's and Tuktamysheva's chances of making it to the GPF because that would take Osmond's 15 points out of play.

Even if Shelepen does withdraw and Japan names a replacement, it wouldn't necessarily be Osmond. Nagasu, of Japanese parentage, is very popular in Japan and she's been on top of the replacement list from the getgo.

After her CoR disaster, Sotnikova is more or less done. We'll see how Tukta does at TEB next week, but I wouldn't count on Japan giving Osmond a second GP even if Shelepen does withdraw. Nagasu is the obvious choice.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
After her CoR disaster, Sotnikova is more or less done. We'll see how Tukta does at TEB next week, but I wouldn't count on Japan giving Osmond a second GP even if Shelepen does withdraw. Nagasu is the obvious choice.

I find it impossible to believe that Sotnikova is "done" because she had one bad competition. Federations spend YEARS and hundreds of thousand of dollars getting a skater to this point. You don't write all of that off because she had one bad event.

Skate Canada is lobbying furiously to get Osmond a second spot, and I seriously doubt that the Japanese are all THAT worried about her. I expect she will get the NHK spot because of this. I do think this was to be Nagasu's second spot but her poor showings so far this season give the USFSA no reason to go to bat for her. Mirai has no one to blame but herself. She doesn't seem to have the heart any more.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese cannot fill Shelepen's spot because as of today, Russia has not announced Polina's withdrawal. Until Russia does that, there IS no vacancy. And as we are well past the 2-week period when a vacant spot must be filled, by the time Russia makes the announcement, it will be too late and the spot will go unfilled.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I find it impossible to believe that Sotnikova is "done" because she had one bad competition. Federations spend YEARS and hundreds of thousand of dollars getting a skater to this point. You don't write all of that off because she had one bad event.

Skate Canada is lobbying furiously to get Osmond a second spot, and I seriously doubt that the Japanese are all THAT worried about her. I expect she will get the NHK spot because of this. I do think this was to be Nagasu's second spot but her poor showings so far this season give the USFSA no reason to go to bat for her. Mirai has no one to blame but herself. She doesn't seem to have the heart any more.

You misunderstand. I meant that she's done in terms of hoping to qualify for the GPF, which chuckm was mentioning. Goodness, if we wrote skaters off for one poor showing, we'd have nothing to watch :)

ForeverFish

Medalist
The Japanese cannot fill Shelepen's spot because as of today, Russia has not announced Polina's withdrawal. Until Russia does that, there IS no vacancy. And as we are well past the 2-week period when a vacant spot must be filled, by the time Russia makes the announcement, it will be too late and the spot will go unfilled.

Sh may not even be withdrawing at all. Was it confirmed that she would, or was it just a rumor picked up somewhere?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The rumor was due to a Russian newspaper report that Shelepen was injured and would withdraw from NHK. That was last week, but there's been no official announcement since then.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If you look at the ladies who were originally selected for NHK, the strongest competitor is Zijun Li, and while she had a successful junior career, she isn't exactly a worldbeater. Gedevanishvili is a strong SP skater but melts down in the FS. Same for Makarova and Zawadzki. The other Russians (Biryukova, Shelepen) don't have much international cred. Czisny had a dreadful Worlds 2012 and is recovering from surgery.

Should there be a vacancy past the 14-day corridor, Skate Canada can lobby all they want, but they can't force the Japanese federation to give the spot to Osmond. Nagasu has been at the top of the replacement list from the beginning and has been bypassed over and over again. And it's not because of Nagasu's results (she did win silver in a GP event last year). In most cases, replacements chosen have been the less competitive ladies on the list (Lacoste, Biryukova, McCorkell, Joshi Helgesson, Glebova, Gao [before SA]).

If there is a vacancy in the next couple of days and the JFSF is willing to fill it, they are far more likely to choose Nagasu because as a Japanese speaker, she is very popular with Japanese audiences. And given that Japan chose less competitive ladies for their original list, Nagasu is a better fit than Osmond.

Last edited: